prolog to C or C++ translator
Author Message
 prolog to C or C++ translator

I am looking for a (very) robust Prolog to C or C++ translator
(preferably the latter).  It must provide clean, efficient C or C++
code, which can be linked with native C or C++ code.

Sun, 12 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 prolog to C or C++ translator
Why?  Maybe I missed a section when I was taught prolog about going to
other platforms, why in the world would you want to use prolog code
for C++ code?

--
---
                                 \\\ | ///

Internet Solutions Provider/Low Man on the Todem Pole
http://www.op.net/~pidge/index.html

"It taught Reuttiger what determination was!"  -Pidge
"Does this mean I get my hat and gloves back?" -O.J.

Head Immortal, LostWaves MUD, Telnet NOW! : lostwaves.op.net 4000
+----------------------------------------------o00-------------------------+
                                 I___I___I
                                  II   II
                                 oo0   0oo

Tue, 14 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 prolog to C or C++ translator

Quote:
>I am looking for a (very) robust Prolog to C or C++ translator
>(preferably the latter).  It must provide clean, efficient C or C++
>code, which can be linked with native C or C++ code.

BinProlog 4.00, available from ftp://clement.info.umoncton.ca/BinProlog
has a fairly robust C-translator and runtime system.

A (subset) of the features that might be of interest are:
  - compilation to C, with compact and portable generated C-code
    and ability to fine-tune optimization for speed or size by
    controlling the amount of `partial translation' (directory pl2c)
  - multiple engines callable either from Prolog or C
    -- they allow flexible C-based top-levels for better integration
       of BinProlog as an embedded logic programming processor
    -- each engine has configurable heap-stack-trail sizes
       and delivers its answers on demand
    -- engines are reusable for execution of multiple goals
    -- resource overflows of an engine do not affect its caller
    -- alternative answers of an engine (i.e. produced by distinct
       OR-branches) are available to the caller on the same
       AND-branch
    -- engines share static code and the dynamic database

Generated C-code is cross-platform portable and allows
generation of fully standalone one-file executables for
various 32 and 64 bit Unix and Windows 95/Windows NT machines.

Paul Tarau

--
Paul Tarau, PhD.             Associate professor    Phone: (506) 858-4120
Dept. of Computer Science    University of Moncton  FAX:   (506) 858-4541

Tue, 14 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 prolog to C or C++ translator

|> Why?  Maybe I missed a section when I was taught prolog about going to
|> other platforms, why in the world would you want to use prolog code
|> for C++ code?
|>

|> : I am looking for a (very) robust Prolog to C or C++ translator
|> : (preferably the latter).  It must provide clean, efficient C or C++
|> : code, which can be linked with native C or C++ code.

One good reason is if you already have >200K lines of C, C++ and fortran code
linking with god knows how many libraries which all needs to compile
on 10 different types of machines and you want to add some PROLOG
type functionalities you want to keep things as simple as possible.
Adding more standard C or C++ code is "easy", adding yet another language with
all its libraries is in pratice impossible (or maybe just very expensive).

James Litsios

Tue, 14 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 prolog to C or C++ translator
You may want to try this one:

Pyramid Prolog compiler 0.9 beta. Ftp at

ftp.nj.nec.com, under directory /pub/zlin

The compiler and runtime system were tested
with a natural language processing application
with > 80,000 lines of Quintus Prolog codes.
There is a demo program (using Xview) that goes
with the distribution for Sun Sparc systems.
The system also works with SGI, DEC, and POWERPC.
Documentation is written in HTML.

Have fun! Let me know if you like it.

Sun, 19 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

2. Prolog as Intro CS Language

3. Translator from standard PROLOG to Visual Prolog?

4. Camp Smalltalk (CS 6) registration

5. APL as First Language for CS

6. SoftEng or CS Graduate Program Search

7. Test and Set (TS) vs Compare and Swap (CS)

8. Refactored Plus All Missing CS ANSI Tests In SIF

9. Camp Smalltalk (CS 6) registration

10. vwnc@cs.uiuc.edu