Developer wants/needs
Author Message
 Developer wants/needs

Hello all.

My company's looking for input from PHP developers as to what your
most pressing issues are with respect to building web applications.
Is it finding/developing good quality reusable codebases?  Project
documentation?  Client relations?  Application security?

I realize the answer may be 'yes' to all of the above, but I'm looking
for some specific examples of things you wished you'd had when dealing
with PHP, either things directly related to the language, or ancillary
services or products which would have made your life easier.

Thanks all.  :)

Michael Kimsal
http://www.*-*-*.com/
PHP Training Courses
734-480-9961

Sun, 22 May 2005 02:26:49 GMT
 Developer wants/needs

Quote:

> >Hello all.

> >My company's looking for input from PHP developers as to what your
> >most pressing issues are with respect to building web applications.

> Why?

> As a 10 year +  programmer in many languages (PHP My most recent) I
> have answers but wonder why the question. Its a little unfair to ask a
> question without anyone knowing what the answer is to be used for.

My first thought when I read this question was: they are doing a market
survey for a new yet-to-be-developed PHP authoring tool.
--
PFF Software
www.pff-software.nl

Sun, 22 May 2005 03:23:34 GMT
 Developer wants/needs
I have 2 needs

1.a solid custom-form handler that adds javascript code to form for
clientside validation and tests all form values on server side with regular
expressions with globals off

It should also handle database storage ,email notification and form data
persistence.

This is not to be confused with a table editior which works from the table
structure
This  needs to work from the form structure.

2. a  tool which will allow obfuscation/encryption so clients cannot dink
with code after delivery.
current encryption tools are way too expensive.

cheers

Sun, 22 May 2005 03:53:20 GMT
 Developer wants/needs
Hi TJS,

Quote:

>1.a solid custom-form handler that adds javascript code to form for
>clientside validation and tests all form values on server side with regular
>expressions with globals off

>It should also handle database storage ,email notification and form data
>persistence.

>This is not to be confused with a table editior which works from the table
>structure
>This  needs to work from the form structure.

What do you mean by form structure. What's the difference to the table
structure?

Jochen

Sun, 22 May 2005 11:48:16 GMT
 Developer wants/needs

Quote:

>>Hello all.

>>My company's looking for input from PHP developers as to what your
>>most pressing issues are with respect to building web applications.

> Why?

> As a 10 year +  programmer in many languages (PHP My most recent) I
> have answers but wonder why the question. Its a little unfair to ask a
> question without anyone knowing what the answer is to be used for.

As someone else pointed out, we're developing tools
and services aimed at PHP developers.

Sun, 22 May 2005 12:06:09 GMT
 Developer wants/needs

Quote:

> I have 2 needs

> 1.a solid custom-form handler that adds javascript code to form for
> clientside validation and tests all form values on server side with regular
> expressions with globals off

> It should also handle database storage ,email notification and form data
> persistence.

> This is not to be confused with a table editior which works from the table
> structure
> This  needs to work from the form structure.

> 2. a  tool which will allow obfuscation/encryption so clients cannot dink
> with code after delivery.
> current encryption tools are way too expensive.

> cheers

Thanks for the feedback.

Sun, 22 May 2005 12:07:27 GMT
 Developer wants/needs

Sun, 22 May 2005 12:16:36 GMT
 Developer wants/needs

Quote:

> Hello all.

> My company's looking for input from PHP developers as to what your
> most pressing issues are with respect to building web applications.
> Is it finding/developing good quality reusable codebases?  Project
> documentation?  Client relations?  Application security?

I would like something to zip through the scripts within a folder hierarchy
and output a list of all php functions used, with the version of PHP that
each function appeared, and possibly bug warnings for certain versions.

This would make life swell, especially for open source projects.

I keep asking for this from time to time on various ng's, I suppose one day
I will have to get to it and build the thing ;-)

Best,

--
Waitman Gobble         EMK Design     Buena Park, California

Public Key                          http://pgp.emkdesign.com
Find an example                    http://freakinexample.com

Sun, 22 May 2005 12:21:11 GMT
 Developer wants/needs

Quote:

>>Hello all.

>>My company's looking for input from PHP developers as to what your
>>most pressing issues are with respect to building web applications.
>>Is it finding/developing good quality reusable codebases?  Project
>>documentation?  Client relations?  Application security?

> I would like something to zip through the scripts within a folder hierarchy
> and output a list of all php functions used, with the version of PHP that
> each function appeared, and possibly bug warnings for certain versions.

> This would make life swell, especially for open source projects.

Can you outline what purposes this would serve?  In what situations do
you find yourself needing this kind of info?  Not saying it's not valid
- I just haven't run across too many situations where that'd seem useful
to me personally or others I've worked with.  But I'm certainly curious,
as it shouldn't be *that* hard to do.  But maybe I'm way offbase on that
one.  :)

Sun, 22 May 2005 12:59:21 GMT
 Developer wants/needs
Hi there.

I also would find this type of feature handy.  In my case, picked up
some code from the web and started hacking away at it to customize it
for my needs.  It's quite a hefty web app with a couple dozen files,
and due to the structure, it's not always clear where functions are
defined.

A handy way to find where functions are would be useful...   then
again, I've become pretty adept at grepping when I can't find
functions quickly. =)

Another feature I would find useful would be a way to "hide"
functions, or maybe just an easy way to jump from function to
function.  Sort of like the drop down box in MS's VBA editor.  I don't
know if other PHP IDE's have this or not, I use a regular text editor.

Oh, autosaving and keeping a few back-versions (i.e. copies of files
before saving changes) would be handy - jBuilder has this.

Regards!

Leonard

http://www.lc.yi.org

On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 23:59:21 -0500, michael kimsal

Quote:

>>>Hello all.

>>>My company's looking for input from PHP developers as to what your
>>>most pressing issues are with respect to building web applications.
>>>Is it finding/developing good quality reusable codebases?  Project
>>>documentation?  Client relations?  Application security?

>> I would like something to zip through the scripts within a folder hierarchy
>> and output a list of all php functions used, with the version of PHP that
>> each function appeared, and possibly bug warnings for certain versions.

>> This would make life swell, especially for open source projects.

>Can you outline what purposes this would serve?  In what situations do
>you find yourself needing this kind of info?  Not saying it's not valid
>- I just haven't run across too many situations where that'd seem useful
>to me personally or others I've worked with.  But I'm certainly curious,
>as it shouldn't be *that* hard to do.  But maybe I'm way offbase on that
>one.  :)

Sun, 22 May 2005 14:01:33 GMT
 Developer wants/needs

Sun, 22 May 2005 14:30:42 GMT
 Developer wants/needs
table editors don't allow for customization of layout and or supplemental
editing by designers.

Form stucture ( I should probably have said form templates ? ) allow for
these

Sun, 22 May 2005 16:48:02 GMT
 Developer wants/needs

Quote:

> 1.a solid custom-form handler that adds javascript code to form for
> clientside validation and tests all form values on server side with regular
> expressions with globals off

> It should also handle database storage ,email notification and form data
> persistence.

kinda like ASP.NET??? i know that it handles form data persistence,
etc really easily. there's a regex object that has commonly used
regex's for all to use ... and all this i learnt in a day while on a
TAFE work placement. they got me to do a php script to register people
for an online store (easy as), then he showed me how to do it in .NET
-- it took me about 1 day to work perfectly in PHP, took him less than
half an hour in dotnet. how cool would that be - php/.net combined ...
salivates (sorry, i am prolly gonna get {*filter*}ed. i am still on the PHP
side of the fence tho).

--
Registered Linux User #273744
<www.volutin.net -- everything irrelevant>

Sun, 22 May 2005 14:35:38 GMT
 Developer wants/needs
If your talking about a PHP IDE I think it is always good to have
something that does automatic code complete (where you type the first
couple letters of a function name or built-in procedure, and then press
tab or enter or something to have it complete the rest of the procdure
name). Maybe that is not really what your looking for. As far as the
langugae itself I'd say that it is great. I especially like the ability
to create images on the fly.

I often find myself creating database driven applications with a
web-based interface and the two main road blocks I run into are
making grpahical reports (2-d/3-d bar charts and pie graphs), and printing.

Anything more complicated than a 2-d bar graphs is practically
impossible to implement using just HTML. With PHP you can at least
generate images on the fly based on data from a database. Perhaps a nice
set of built in utilities to automatically generate these kinds of graphs.

Second road block: people want to print the reports and other things
they see on the screen, but HTML is not designed for printing. You can't
always be sure that things will print correctly. There are major
problems if you want to try to space out your HTML so that it prints on
multiple pages correctly (this again is almost impossible really). The
only way I have found around this is to create PDF's which can be viewed
in the browser, and when they are printed they look the same as they do
in the browser. I know PHP already has functions for creating PDF, but
I'm sure they could be improved upon or expanded.

-Chris

Quote:

> Hello all.

> My company's looking for input from PHP developers as to what your
> most pressing issues are with respect to building web applications.
> Is it finding/developing good quality reusable codebases?  Project
> documentation?  Client relations?  Application security?

> I realize the answer may be 'yes' to all of the above, but I'm looking
> for some specific examples of things you wished you'd had when dealing
> with PHP, either things directly related to the language, or ancillary
> services or products which would have made your life easier.

> Thanks all.  :)

> Michael Kimsal
> http://www.tapinternet.com/php
> PHP Training Courses
> 734-480-9961

Sun, 22 May 2005 23:12:14 GMT
 Developer wants/needs
Hi TJS,

Quote:

>table editors don't allow for customization of layout and or supplemental
>editing by designers.

>Form stucture ( I should probably have said form templates ? ) allow for
>these

I programmed something like this, its pretty dodgily programed, but
supports a "data definition" in a (very big) associative array and my
own template system.

Do you want to have a look?

Jochen

Mon, 23 May 2005 08:26:53 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Need Visual Age, Visual Works, and Visual Wave Smalltalk mentors and developers and C++ designers/developers

2. Arizona JPython developer needed! (6 needed)

3. Jobs: Smalltalk Developers Wanted

4. Wanted: Smalltalk GUI developers - VisualAge & VisualWorks

5. Entry Level APL Developer Wanted

6. Smalltalk Developers Wanted: TX,CA,NYC,Minn, HIGH$$

7. S.E. FL - ***WANTED: SMALLTALK/VISUALWORKS DEVELOPERS***-CONTRACT

8. Smalltalk Developers Wanted

9. VISUALAGE ST DEVELOPER wanted in UK

10. VAST Developers Wanted

11. WANTED - SMALLTALK DEVELOPERS - TORONTO

12. Agents/Web/Objects Developers and Systems Integrators Wanted