Perl vs. PHP
Author Message
 Perl vs. PHP

Hi,
        This has probably been discussed to death, but I'm new to this newsgroup.
        I've been using Perl and CGI for that past few years on our web server
to do Oracle front ends, among other web-based tools.

        I've never used PHP.  How does it stack up to Perl in regards to:
                Ease of use
                Speed
                Extensibility
                Database access
                User support (a la Perl's CPAN)

Jamie

Sun, 31 Jul 2005 05:07:49 GMT
 Perl vs. PHP

scrawled:

Quote:
>Hi,
>    This has probably been discussed to death, but I'm new to this newsgroup.
>    I've been using Perl and CGI for that past few years on our web server
>to do Oracle front ends, among other web-based tools.

>    I've never used PHP.  How does it stack up to Perl in regards to:
>            Ease of use

I would say for development of web-apps its simpler - but mainly because
the error handling is a lot more intuitive - not lots of 500 errors.

But with all languages its easy to write bad code, difficult to write good
code, unless you teach yourself well.

Quote:
>            Speed

I think faster (no nead to load Perl)- unless you use mod_perl and can
benefit from the caching.

Built in objects - so you don't have Perl's function overheads if you use
accessors on objects.

Fast PHP is often more readable than fast Perl.... but then it depends if
you are the sort of person who is counting clock cycles.

I currently work with Perl at work on a system - and keep getting ticked
off for unreadable code - but clock cycles are important as we are
currently stretching our web/mysql cluster
[ 8 closely clusted HP/Compaq ES45 with 8-16G RAM each and 7T of Fibre
  channel SAN - we managed to toast the server on the weekend as we had
  in excess of 3,000 concurrent database threads open across the three
  machines serving the MySQL instances ]

Quote:
>            Extensibility

Very simple to use database modules
Quote:
>            Database access

Built in - look for a DBI replacement module (Pear's is halfway there) and
you will be well away.
Quote:
>            User support (a la Perl's CPAN)

There is Pear, some peole swear by it - others at it! But in certain cases
this is also true of CPAN. There is a lot of PHP code out there - but a lot
of the good applications don't necessarily use good coding practice/good
code, and so it is difficult to borrow/tweak
Quote:

>Jamie

Sun, 31 Jul 2005 06:03:35 GMT
 Perl vs. PHP

Quote:
>On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:03:35 GMT,

>>>    This has probably been discussed to death, but I'm new to this newsgroup.
>>>    I've been using Perl and CGI for that past few years on our web server
>>>to do Oracle front ends, among other web-based tools.

>I did a few years with Perl and even though my boss told me to go to
>PHP I wouldnt. I felt the very hard time of learning perl would have
>been a waste. I was still learning (isn't everybody?<g> ) so I told
>him anything PHP could do, Perl could do.

>Then I gave it a try.... wahay.  Now the only perl I do is to maintain
>and update existing systems that cant be replaced (time restrictions)
>anything new is done in PHP.

>I havent found anything in day to day DB and web development that Perl
>could do over PHP.. I am not saying there is nothing... But I havent
>had need for it if its out there..

Perhaps not day to day... but our system at work has over a .5 million
lines of code, 40 databases totalling about 80 Gbytes of data, and
includes complex image rendering/database retrievals ans searches,
(and most of the legacy underlying code is in perl)

Some of it would be do-able in PHP (and a lot easier) but the core
of what we do - would be very difficult in a language such as PHP without
extensively re-writting a lot of CPAN....

If you want to take a look try http://www.ensembl.org/

>Your asking a PHP v Perl question in here. Your gong to get a biased
>view from anyone who hasn't tried both. Ak in a Perl newgroup and you
>will get different answers.  Ask in cgi newsgroup and they will just
>slam the door in your face.. not nice people :)

Sun, 31 Jul 2005 06:24:55 GMT
 Perl vs. PHP

Quote:

> Hi,
>     This has probably been discussed to death, but I'm new to this
> newsgroup.
>     I've been using Perl and CGI for that past few years on our web
> server to do Oracle front ends, among other web-based tools.

>     I've never used PHP.  How does it stack up to Perl in regards to:
>         Ease of use
>         Speed
>         Extensibility
>         Database access
>         User support (a la Perl's CPAN)

> Jamie

In a nutshell, PHP is:
* easier to write
* easier to read
* easier to maintain
* easier to output HTML with
* (the list continues)

There's a good assessment of the two languages at:
http://php.weblogs.com/php_versus_perl

Mon, 01 Aug 2005 00:44:40 GMT

1. Python vs. Perl vs. PHP?

2. Perl vs PHP, I need your opinion!

3. perl vs php

4. Websh vs Rivet vs AOLServer vs PHP

5. Perl vs TCL (was: Execution speed of Perl?)

6. PHP+MySQL vs. PHP+PostgreSQL

7. REXX vs Perl ( vs ICON ? )

8. Forth vs Python vs Perl

9. REXX vs Perl ( vs ICON ? )

10. perl vs python vs icon

11. PYTHON VS. PERL VS. TCL

12. Python Binding [Was: Re: PYTHON VS. PERL VS. TCL ]