looking for sample odbc_functions and not mysql_functions for a database...
Author Message
 looking for sample odbc_functions and not mysql_functions for a database...

looking to run odbc_functions under IIS, and not mysql.  Is there any
samples out there working.    The PHP sites have mysql samples,
but I have not seen any with odbc and PHP?  Are they boycotting
Microsoft????   this is a great newsgroup..... thanks for your help....

Mon, 30 May 2005 00:34:04 GMT
 looking for sample odbc_functions and not mysql_functions for a database...

Quote:

> The PHP sites have mysql samples,
> but I have not seen any with odbc and PHP?

Perhaps it's because the people who feel compelled to use ODBC are the same
people who use closed-source OSes and post questions here asking how they
can "hide their code so clients can't read it"?

While ODBC does exist in the Unix world [php's native environemnt] it is
quite rare, and the general mentality of the closed-source OS communities
is that it's better to keep your code secret. (Please don't think i'm
trolling here - that's a broad stereotype, not a blanket statement. There
are lots of demonstrable exceptions.)

--
----- stephan beal

Mon, 30 May 2005 00:32:20 GMT
 looking for sample odbc_functions and not mysql_functions for a database...
you can use COM and hence ADO with PHP under IIS

from ADO you can connect to other databases like Access or SQLserver

example connection

     function DB_Connection($DB_Path)
     {
     $conn = new COM("ADODB.Connection") or die("Cannot start ADO");
     $conn->Open("Provider=Microsoft,.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data
Source=".$DB_Path );
     }

Quote:
>looking to run odbc_functions under IIS, and not mysql.  Is there any
>samples out there working.    The PHP sites have mysql samples,
>but I have not seen any with odbc and PHP?  Are they boycotting
>Microsoft????   this is a great newsgroup..... thanks for your help....

Mon, 30 May 2005 17:36:26 GMT
 looking for sample odbc_functions and not mysql_functions for a database...

[snip]
Quote:
>                               The PHP sites have mysql samples,
> but I have not seen any with odbc and PHP?  Are they boycotting
> Microsoft????

[snip]

I cannot tell you *where*, but I seem to recall seeing some ODBC
examples somewhere.  So keep looking, I suppose.  (Sorry, I didn't
pay them any attention as I don't need ODBC because I don't use MS
stuff, myself.)

One imagines the reason for the dearth of "MS-centric" examples is
due to the roots of PHP: the "open source world," if you will.  (Yes,
I know that ODBC is not actually "MS-Centric," per se.) Consider: if
one is using an open-source, cross-platform solution like PHP (or any
number of other cost-effective, powerful, flexible, cross-platform,
usually open source, solutions) one might also tend to look at
similar solutions for the whole ball of wax.  Sure, there are
exceptions.  MS-only shops (by edict).  People who prefer MS
operating systems (for whatever reason).  Folks that are
knowledgeable about, and comfortable with, their existing MS
platform.  Why switch OS' if what you've got works and you're happy
with it?  But on the whole, I'm guessing you'll find that *most*
folks are probably running PHP and the like on one of the various
'nix type systems.

Then again: a script I announced on php.resourceindex.com experienced
something like 82% of the downloads in zipfile format rather than the
tarball.  So maybe I'm all wet :).

Regards,
Jim
--
Jim Seymour                    | PGP Public Key available at:
WARNING: The "From:" address   | http://www.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/pks-commands.html

Mon, 30 May 2005 21:52:29 GMT

1. any vb sample code for access database function

2. samples for REALbasic&s Database

3. any vb sample code for access database function

4. any vb sample code for access database function

5. any vb sample code for access database function

6. sample database applications?

7. Database application sample - need advice

8. Database sample

9. looking for APPC/CPI-C tutorial and samples

10. Looking for small, straightforward FORTHish sample

11. Looking for sample code for CDX indexes

12. Looking for sample LEX/YACC with C++