vars passing through URL
Author Message
 vars passing through URL

Hello

I'm using PHP Version 4.0.6 (so I haven't learned the superglobals thing
yet) (will my scripts work on that version, if I use the new superglobals?)
Everytime I make a form or something like this, it passes all the vars
through the url
so when I'm making a normal e-mail from, I will see emailadresses in the url
and other vars!

This is very annoying, because if I have something I submit to the page
itself, and press reload, it gets added again!

any workaround?

Thanks!

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 01:38:54 GMT
 vars passing through URL

Quote:

> Hello

> I'm using PHP Version 4.0.6 (so I haven't learned the superglobals thing
> yet) (will my scripts work on that version, if I use the new
> superglobals?

Many of the superglobals are only available in PHP 4.1 and higher. Some are
available in 4.0.x, though.

Quote:
> This is very annoying, because if I have something I submit to the page
> itself, and press reload, it gets added again!

Try using POST instead of GET?

--
----- stephan beal

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 01:43:45 GMT
 vars passing through URL

Quote:

> >Hello

> >I'm using PHP Version 4.0.6 (so I haven't learned the superglobals thing
> >yet) (will my scripts work on that version, if I use the new
> >superglobals?

> Many of the superglobals are only available in PHP 4.1 and higher.
> Some are
> available in 4.0.x, though.

> >This is very annoying, because if I have something I submit to the page
> >itself, and press reload, it gets added again!

> Try using POST instead of GET?

Depending on the browser, it may prompt you to re-post the information
as well. In that case, the same thing will happen only you won't see the
information.

--

PHP POSTERS: Please use comp.lang.php for PHP related questions,
              alt.php* groups are not recommended.

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 01:48:58 GMT
 vars passing through URL
this worked very well against the vars in the url!
thanks!

but that still leaves me with another problem. I thought both had the same
reason
when I submit a page, and then press reload, it will re-submit.
any ways to prevent this?

Thaks

Quote:

> > Hello

> > I'm using PHP Version 4.0.6 (so I haven't learned the superglobals thing
> > yet) (will my scripts work on that version, if I use the new
> > superglobals?

> Many of the superglobals are only available in PHP 4.1 and higher. Some
are
> available in 4.0.x, though.

> > This is very annoying, because if I have something I submit to the page
> > itself, and press reload, it gets added again!

> Try using POST instead of GET?

> --
> ----- stephan beal
> Registered Linux User #71917 http://counter.li.org
> I speak for myself, not my employer. Contents may
> be hot. Slippery when wet. Reading disclaimers makes
> you go blind. Writing them is worse. You have been Warned.

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:44:15 GMT
 vars passing through URL

Quote:

> this worked very well against the vars in the url!
> thanks!

> but that still leaves me with another problem. I thought both had the same
> reason
> when I submit a page, and then press reload, it will re-submit.
> any ways to prevent this?

By pressing Cancel when your browser warns you about posting the data a
second time. That's the only practical way, unfortunately.

--
----- stephan beal

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:40:08 GMT
 vars passing through URL
Hi Twopeak!

(...)

Quote:
>this worked very well against the vars in the url!
>thanks!

>but that still leaves me with another problem. I thought both had the same
>reason
>when I submit a page, and then press reload, it will re-submit.
>any ways to prevent this?

Try header() after working with the POST-vars.

HTH, Jochen

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 04:04:04 GMT
 vars passing through URL

Quote:

> this worked very well against the vars in the url! thanks!

> but that still leaves me with another problem. I thought both had the same
> reason
> when I submit a page, and then press reload, it will re-submit. any ways
> to prevent this?

This can be overcome, but it adds quite a lot of overhead and complexity
to the script. To give a rough overview of the process

 - Keep a list of requests you have served
 - When the form is submitted collect together all the form variables
 - Combine them in some way into a single value that can be stored in a db
   (perhaps add them all to an array and serialize() it)
 - Delete all entries in your list of served requests older than a certain
   date (to prevent it getting too big)
 - Check to see if the calculated value is already in your list of served
   requests
 - If so display a message and do nothing
 - If not add this value and a timestamp to your list of served requests
 - Then process the form

You may well decide it is not worth the effort to implement this.

hth

Theo Spears

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 06:49:29 GMT
 vars passing through URL

Quote:

>  - Keep a list of requests you have served
>  - When the form is submitted collect together all the form variables
>  - Combine them in some way into a single value that can be stored in a db
>    (perhaps add them all to an array and serialize() it)
>  - Delete all entries in your list of served requests older than a certain
>    date (to prevent it getting too big)
>  - Check to see if the calculated value is already in your list of served
>    requests
>  - If so display a message and do nothing
>  - If not add this value and a timestamp to your list of served requests
>  - Then process the form

> You may well decide it is not worth the effort to implement this.

Whew. Many sites get around this by simply doing the following:

echo "PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF PETE, DO NOT USE YOUR BROWSER BACK BUTTON!!!";

--
----- stephan beal

Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:52:37 GMT
 vars passing through URL
it's the reload button

anyway, I did use the long method to control for double postings, because it
wasn't allowed to double post anyway!
So it does double work now :)
Stopping users send 10 times the same message
Stopping users who press reload (or perhaps back)

Thanks!
B.

Quote:

> >  - Keep a list of requests you have served
> >  - When the form is submitted collect together all the form variables
> >  - Combine them in some way into a single value that can be stored in a
db
> >    (perhaps add them all to an array and serialize() it)
> >  - Delete all entries in your list of served requests older than a
certain
> >    date (to prevent it getting too big)
> >  - Check to see if the calculated value is already in your list of
served
> >    requests
> >  - If so display a message and do nothing
> >  - If not add this value and a timestamp to your list of served requests
> >  - Then process the form

> > You may well decide it is not worth the effort to implement this.

> Whew. Many sites get around this by simply doing the following:

> echo "PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF PETE, DO NOT USE YOUR BROWSER BACK
BUTTON!!!";

> --
> ----- stephan beal
> Registered Linux User #71917 http://counter.li.org
> I speak for myself, not my employer. Contents may
> be hot. Slippery when wet. Reading disclaimers makes
> you go blind. Writing them is worse. You have been Warned.

Wed, 27 Apr 2005 01:23:57 GMT

1. passing shell vars to gawk

2. passing vars to shell script

3. passing vars to awk script

4. Passing and getting vars. from C to awk

5. HELP: Passing Unix vars to AWK

6. passing run-time vars to RRUN

7. Accessing Vars in Group Passed by Address

8. How pass compound vars to subroutine?

9. Newbie - passing variable number of vars to expect script

10. Pass vars b/w programs?

11. Passing vars to buttons?

12. can't pass environment vars using exec