php.ini changes not taking
Author Message
 php.ini changes not taking

I'm almost at my wits end with this problem.   This is a new install
of PHP 4.3 & Apache 1.3.27 on a Redhat 8.0 machine.  Php works fine
with the exception of configuration file changes...

This is a local network not seen by the rest of the world and I would
like to register_globals in the ini file as opposed to using ini_set
or recoding several large projects to use $_GET[var] and $_POST[var].

On to the diagnosis.

From phpinfo()...

PHP Version 4.3.1

Configure Command  './configure' '--with-mysql'
'--with-informix=/opt/informix' '--enable-track-vars'
'--with-apache=/share/source/apache/apache_1.3.27'
'--with-config-file-path=/usr/local/apache/conf'

Configuration File (php.ini) Path  /usr/local/apache/conf

register_globals Off Off

from command line...
ls -l /usr/local/apache/conf/php.ini
-rw-r--r--    1 mstembri mstembri    23723 Mar  5 19:33 php.ini

 -- note apache runs as user mstembri (confirmed in httpd.conf)

from /usr/local/apache/conf/php.ini ...

register_globals = On

I've also tried using ini_set("register_globals", "On"); but this also
doesn't work.

For kicks I tried chowning the file to nobody then restarted apache,
however this did not help.

Even though phpinfo() says apache looks for the file in
/usr/local/apache/conf I copied the php.ini to /usr/local/bin and /etc
- no luck there either.

I also copied the working php.ini file from another RH server using
php 4.0.6, but still no luck with changing php configuration.

I've spent the past two hours reading google and google groups trying
everything that has worked for others.  I'm running out of options.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:46:20 GMT
 php.ini changes not taking

Quote:
> Even though phpinfo() says apache looks for the file in
> /usr/local/apache/conf I copied the php.ini to /usr/local/bin and /etc
> - no luck there either.

> I also copied the working php.ini file from another RH server using
> php 4.0.6, but still no luck with changing php configuration.

> I've spent the past two hours reading google and google groups trying
> everything that has worked for others.  I'm running out of options.

> Any other ideas or suggestions?

Have you tried:

register_globals = 1

also, have you tried it without this line in the file?

--
Wil Moore III

Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:25:24 GMT
 php.ini changes not taking

Quote:

> I'm almost at my wits end with this problem.   This is a new install
> of PHP 4.3 & Apache 1.3.27 on a Redhat 8.0 machine.  Php works fine
> with the exception of configuration file changes...

> This is a local network not seen by the rest of the world and I would
> like to register_globals in the ini file as opposed to using ini_set
> or recoding several large projects to use $_GET[var] and $_POST[var].

> On to the diagnosis.

> From phpinfo()...

> PHP Version 4.3.1

> Configure Command  './configure' '--with-mysql'
> '--with-informix=/opt/informix' '--enable-track-vars'
> '--with-apache=/share/source/apache/apache_1.3.27'
> '--with-config-file-path=/usr/local/apache/conf'

> Configuration File (php.ini) Path  /usr/local/apache/conf

That's the apache configuration path, ie. httpd.conf. If I remember
correctly the php.ini is somewhere under /usr/local/lib/php or
/usr/lib/php (depending where you installed it).

--
Hope this helps,
Ryan

Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:17:58 GMT

1. PHP.INI not taking affect

2. different PHP-Version with differengt php.ini files?

3. To ini or not to ini

4. Apache + PHP not processing php

5. Help: PHP works with .php but not .html

6. UTF8 php files are not interpreted by PHP ! :-(

7. php is not interpreted (apache 2.0.43, php 4.3.0, linux)

8. How to use disable_functions in php.ini?

9. php.ini problem

10. where are setting stored when there is no php.ini file

11. official documentation php.ini ?!?!!?

12. really simple question php.ini