Connection to remote server with MySQL under Win/2K
Author Message
 Connection to remote server with MySQL under Win/2K

Hello everyone,

I have a largish problem and would like some assistance. Basically, I am
creating a Formula One database and developing on my personal machine. I
have Apache, MySQL and PHP installed, (from PHP-Triad) and everything
works as expected. (I'm developing on a Windows/2K system).

Now, a friend of mine offered my some internet space but I cannot access
the remote server with MySQL. No matter what I do, I cannot connect.
PING the remote server works. FTP uploading works. But, MySQL won't
connect. I tried:

[C:\apache\htdocs\glibs]mysql -hRemoteSite -uUserName -pxxx

password: YES)

I tried changing the C:\Windows\HOSTS file with the RemoteSite, I tried
changing the C:\Windows\my.ini file with:

[Client]
host=RemoteSite
user=UserName
password=xxx

I am fairly sure that there is something I have overlooked somewhere.
Can anyone help? Please?

BTW, I am using MySQL 4.0.9-gamma-max-nt and have had no other problems
with this version.

MfG

Geoff.

--
The old DB has been discontinued because I'm working on an update. Watch
this space for more information.

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:25:43 GMT
 Connection to remote server with MySQL under Win/2K

Quote:

> Hello everyone,

> I have a largish problem and would like some assistance. Basically, I am
> creating a Formula One database and developing on my personal machine. I
> have Apache, MySQL and PHP installed, (from PHP-Triad) and everything
> works as expected. (I'm developing on a Windows/2K system).

> Now, a friend of mine offered my some internet space but I cannot access
> the remote server with MySQL. No matter what I do, I cannot connect.
> PING the remote server works. FTP uploading works. But, MySQL won't
> connect. I tried:

> [C:\apache\htdocs\glibs]mysql -hRemoteSite -uUserName -pxxx

> password: YES)

> I tried changing the C:\Windows\HOSTS file with the RemoteSite, I tried
> changing the C:\Windows\my.ini file with:

> [Client]
> host=RemoteSite
> user=UserName
> password=xxx

> I am fairly sure that there is something I have overlooked somewhere.
> Can anyone help? Please?

It could be 2 things, or a combination of both.

a. The firewall on that server rejects connections to port 3306.

b. Connection inside tat mysql server isn't granted. This could be
fixed if your friend is able to grant access on his database.

Regards,

Hans
--

Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:45:11 GMT
 Connection to remote server with MySQL under Win/2K

Quote:

>> [snipped]

> It could be 2 things, or a combination of both.

> a. The firewall on that server rejects connections to port 3306.

> b. Connection inside tat mysql server isn't granted. This could be
> fixed if your friend is able to grant access on his database.

Thank you Hans. Option b was the problem and I'm finally online with the
DB. Much appreciated.

MfG

Geoff.

--
The old DB has been discontinued because I'm working on an update. Watch
this space for more information.

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 09:03:07 GMT

1. Remote MySQL Connection Problem

2. Non CW Question : Win 2k Adv Server keeps rebooting

3. "Connection closed by remote server"

4. Using remote MySQL server with PHP via HTTP

5. Executing a dump of a remote mysql server

6. Remote VI won't load when called with VI Server

7. MySQL locally vs. MySQL on server

8. Max Connections to Win NT workstation / Win 2000 pro

9. Win 2K app problem

10. CFD and Win 2k group > 64K

11. Clarion for dos 3009 & win 2k

12. Weird Win 2K indexing problem