Link instead of submit-button
Author Message
 Link instead of submit-button

hi,

due to the better web-design, I'd like to
replace an '<input type="submit"':

    <form action="target.php" method="get">
     <input type="hidden" name="field1" value="<?php echo $_POST[field1] ?>">
     <input type="hidden" name="field2" value="<?php echo $_POST[field2] ?>">
     <input type="submit" value="modify">
    </form>
with an <a href=''>-link.

I can't just use this:
because I need to pass POST-data to target.php.

Is there a way to make a submit-button look like a link or make it
use less space ? (the css property 'padding' applied to the submit-button
doesn't seem to work with IE)

thanks,
--
Felix Natter

Sun, 29 May 2005 19:53:11 GMT
 Link instead of submit-button

Quote:

> hi,

> due to the better web-design, I'd like to
> replace an '<input type="submit"':

<form name="f1"...>

<A href="Javascript: document.forms['f1'].submit();">Bla bla</a>

--
--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Sun, 29 May 2005 20:25:46 GMT
 Link instead of submit-button

Quote:
>> due to the better web-design, I'd like to
>> replace an '<input type="submit"':
> <form name="f1"...>
> <A href="Javascript: document.forms['f1'].submit();">Bla bla</a>

Once again, this solution would probably work (at least with browsers
and users who allow javascript), but is not the best solution to the
problem.

It is notable, that usability is achieved by building applications
according to the elements the users are used to. As most of the
different web forms are submitted with some buttons (one might argue the
use of image buttons), the idea of submitting a form by a link is not
very good.

For more information, please familiarize yourself with the material
provided by Jukka J. Korpela and his reference Jakob Nielsen.

- Hannu

Sun, 29 May 2005 21:50:54 GMT
 Link instead of submit-button

Quote:
> For more information, please familiarize yourself with the material
> provided by Jukka J. Korpela and his reference Jakob Nielsen.

Surely Jukka K. Korpela?

Or is Jukka J. his brother?

--
David.
"Anyone who agrees to rub their {*filter*}s on television is clearly inexcusably

Sun, 29 May 2005 22:10:01 GMT
 Link instead of submit-button

Quote:
>> For more information, please familiarize yourself with the material
>> provided by Jukka J. Korpela and his reference Jakob Nielsen.
> Surely Jukka K. Korpela?
> Or is Jukka J. his brother?

Yeah, Jukka J. is his brother who lives at the next key. The other
brothers are Jukka L. and Jukka I. :)

So, Jukka K. Korpela is the right answer, I should be more careful the
names.

Pahoitteluni, Jukka.

- Hannu

Sun, 29 May 2005 22:12:40 GMT

1. Submit w/o submit button?

2. using onChange instead of SUBMIT

3. how to show response to Submit button QUICKLY?

4. Link into submit box

5. spin box instead of panel with radio buttons

6. Using drop-down listbox instead of lookup button

7. C4: Radio button selection in menu struct (instead of check boxes)

8. Art and all that Jazz: the durable button rarely climbs Calvin, it wastes Carolyn instead

9. Linking ruby with gcc instead of ld

10. linking commands instead of variables?

11. Link against -ltclstub8.1 instead of -ltcl8.1

12. Button, Button, who's got the Button?