Mail() Sending Email into the Ether
Author Message
 Mail() Sending Email into the Ether

Hi, I've been trying to send mail using the mail() function. Unfortunatly
when the mail is 'sent', it never arrives, it just disappears.

I suspect it's somthing to do with the local settings I'm working with, but
they seem okay.

I'm using:-

<PHP.INI>
[mail function]
SMTP   = "mailhub.aston.ac.uk"  ;for win32 only

with

  echo "mail sent";

I'm also using a WinXP network machine with Apache installed on the local
machine.

No error is returned, but nothing ever arrives? Perhaps I need to supply
username / password credentials to the SMTP server? How do I go about
supplying this data? Any help woudl be great, I've really got no idea.

Thanks,
David.

Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:56:31 GMT
 Mail() Sending Email into the Ether

says...

Quote:
> Hi, I've been trying to send mail using the mail() function. Unfortunatly
> when the mail is 'sent', it never arrives, it just disappears.

> I suspect it's somthing to do with the local settings I'm working with, but
> they seem okay.

> I'm using:-

> <PHP.INI>
> [mail function]
> SMTP   = "mailhub.aston.ac.uk"  ;for win32 only

> with

>   echo "mail sent";

> I'm also using a WinXP network machine with Apache installed on the local
> machine.

> No error is returned, but nothing ever arrives? Perhaps I need to supply
> username / password credentials to the SMTP server? How do I go about
> supplying this data? Any help woudl be great, I've really got no idea.

mail() returns TRUE if the mail was successfully accepted for delivery,
FALSE otherwise.

2\r\nLine 3");
// Note \r\n instead of \n
if($res) {
  echo "mail sent";

Quote:
} else{
 {*filter*}!!
}

If the message is successfully accepted for delivery, but does not arrive,
your problem is beyond mail().

--
Quod subigo farinam

$email =~ s/oz$/au/o;

Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:34:01 GMT
 Mail() Sending Email into the Ether
Viva,

Quote:
> No error is returned, but nothing ever arrives? Perhaps I need to supply
> username / password credentials to the SMTP server? How do I go about
> supplying this data? Any help woudl be great, I've really got no idea.

You may want to try this class that comes with a wrapper function named
smtp_mail() that emulates the mail() function but lets you output the
SMTP dialog so you can debug your problem and if necessary you can
specify the authentication credentials.

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

You also need this:

http://www.phpclasses.org/smtpclass

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 01:26:36 GMT

1. send mail using SMTP Send Message when mail server is unknown

2. emails sent I didn't send not klez

3. Sending email from Dolphin ?

4. Send 1 Milllion Emails an Hour

5. Send 1 Milllion Emails an Hour