Hosting mySQL database remotely
Author Message
 Hosting mySQL database remotely

Has anyone tried hosting a mySQL database with a different provider than
their web provider?  I have a 2GB mySQL DB that is on a university machine,
while my PHP app server is at a web provider.

Do you think I'll get "OK" performance?  I don't need stellar response
times, but rather I'm trying to keep costs low.  I don't know of any hosts
that will give 2 - 3GB of DB storage space at a decent price...

--
  __   ______

/____/\/_/\_\/ | Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address
\____\/\_\/    | when replying.

Fri, 13 May 2005 01:11:18 GMT
 Hosting mySQL database remotely
Quote:
> Has anyone tried hosting a mySQL database with a different provider than
> their web provider?

In the past I have, and it worked fine!
Quote:
> Do you think I'll get "OK" performance?

Performance won't be too slow, though it really depends on the two servers,
and the connection.

HTH.

Bernhard

Fri, 13 May 2005 01:28:48 GMT
 Hosting mySQL database remotely

Quote:
>> Has anyone tried hosting a mySQL database with a different provider
>> than their web provider?
> In the past I have, and it worked fine!

Great!  That is all I wanted to hear : )

Quote:
>> Do you think I'll get "OK" performance?
> Performance won't be too slow, though it really depends on the two
> servers, and the connection.

The DB will be hosted at a major Canadian university, so I assume the
connection would be fine.  I can't complain tho - I'm getting the
storage/computer time/bandwidth for free.

I guess that's why we pay so much taxes in Canada...

--
  __   ______

/____/\/_/\_\/ | Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address
\____\/\_\/    | when replying.

Fri, 13 May 2005 04:55:31 GMT
 Hosting mySQL database remotely

Quote:
> Has anyone tried hosting a mySQL database with a different provider than
> their web provider?

Yes, that works. You should try to keep traffic low, so don't use
statements like "SELECT * ...".

Matthias

Fri, 13 May 2005 07:08:15 GMT
 Hosting mySQL database remotely

Quote:

> Has anyone tried hosting a mySQL database with a different
> provider than their web provider?

Technically, shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
> I have a 2GB mySQL DB that is on a university machine,
> while my PHP app server is at a web provider.

There may be configuration issues that you will need to resolve.
For example, the university network may be configured to reject
all inbound requests to port 3306, which is the default MySQL
port.  Check with your sysadmin(s) if you encounter connection
problems.

Quote:
> Do you think I'll get "OK" performance?

This depends on great many things, including the overall load
on your DB server (including both local and remote users) and
bandwidth available at the university and the provider.  As
usual with distributed applications, performance of the
application will be determined by performance of the slowest
component/subsystem...

Cheers,
NC

Fri, 13 May 2005 08:53:17 GMT

1. MySQL on Windows webserver Web Hosting

2. php & mysql linux web hosting

3. ColdFusion, MySQL, SQL Server, ASP.Net Hosting

4. php and mySQL hosting

5. Database Hosting

6. DataBase Hosting

7. PHP Web Hosting Shop - Find Your Web Hosting

8. Python-Hosting.com: new Hosting Provider specialized in Python

9. anybody using mySql as database?

10. Q: VW7 MySQL and other free database connectivity tools

11. MySQL database access with Windows 98

12. Problem using sqlselect with mysql database