php + mysql or php + postgresql?
Author Message
 php + mysql or php + postgresql?

The title says it all. I am learning php and I need to use a database to
build a dynamic website. Which one would you recommend, MySQL or PostgreSQL?
Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

-- charif

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:45:49 GMT
 php + mysql or php + postgresql?

Quote:
> The title says it all. I am learning php and I need to use a database to
> build a dynamic website. Which one would you recommend, MySQL or
PostgreSQL?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

I use PostgreSQL myself, simply because it offers more features at this
point.
MySQL is great, but doesn't have things like referential integrity (at
least, it
didn't last I ever looked).  PostgreSQL also has more options for triggers
and
procedures.

If you're really a newbie, I recommend MySQL, as you're not likely to have a
need for advanced featurage until you've got some experience under your
belt.

As for PostgreSQL not being designed for web applications, I would beg to
differ.
So, I think, might the folks over at SourceForge, among various and diverse
others.
It all depends upon your needs.

--

Thu, 06 Jan 2005 00:48:11 GMT
 php + mysql or php + postgresql?

Quote:
> The title says it all. I am learning php and I need to use a database to
> build a dynamic website. Which one would you recommend, MySQL or
PostgreSQL?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

MySQL all the way!

Fri, 07 Jan 2005 01:39:58 GMT
 php + mysql or php + postgresql?
I think, you've started one more "Holy war".

MySQL was build for speed with very little features. It's fast, but sucks on
complex projects.

PostgreSQL tries to be robust and fast enough. Good for middle-sized
projects. Advanced features (triggers/transactions/stored code/RI) included.

Oracle can handle unbelievable workload, and is the most feature-rich
database in the world. However, it's quite hard to learn it from the
scratch.

There are also DB2/Firebird/MSSQL on the market, but I know them little.

Choose for yourself then.

--
-- Pavel

"Do you pine for the nice days of minix-1.1, when men were men and wrote
their own device drivers?" (Linus Torvalds, comp.os.minix, 05-10-1991)

Quote:
> The title says it all. I am learning php and I need to use a database to
> build a dynamic website. Which one would you recommend, MySQL or
PostgreSQL?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

> -- charif

Fri, 07 Jan 2005 00:24:37 GMT
 php + mysql or php + postgresql?
An insignificant noise sounding like Charif Lakchiri said:
Quote:
> The title says it all. I am learning php and I need to use a database to
> build a dynamic website. Which one would you recommend, MySQL or PostgreSQL?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Having worked with Mysql, PostGres, Oracle and IBM's DB2 databases with PHP I
can quite safely safe MySQL was by far the easiest to setup and get running.
Once running getting them to work with PHP is trivial. I'd go for MySQL unless
you are doing massive applications which will have very complex referential
integrity constraints and/or will be taking lots of hits continously.

Dave.
--

I'm a dead man, and {*filter*}ed to boot!

Fri, 07 Jan 2005 02:47:55 GMT
 php + mysql or php + postgresql?

Quote:
>MySQL was build for speed with very little features. It's fast, but sucks on
>complex projects.

Your coding just has to be a bit more careful ( the over head of
getting "referential integrity" into your API ) is not too great, and
usually still leaves MySQL code faster.

We currently use it on a project at work where the combined databases
behind the website come to around 50-60 GBytes of data and we don't
seem to have a problem with it (at points we have the dev server
serving up to 200 GBytes of data with multiple copies of the webserver
running) and with the optimised code we seem to be getting reasonable
turnaround on even quite complex queries.

James

Fri, 07 Jan 2005 04:41:57 GMT
 php + mysql or php + postgresql?
definately learn postgresql:

You will learn how _real_ databases work (transactions, foreign keys,
sequences etc) and you will be able to use this knowledge well when
graduating to databases like Oracle.

I'm learning Oracle now and I'm finding that it's easy due to my
PostgreSQL knowledge.

MySQL is also great! it just does thing "differently".

Quote:

> The title says it all. I am learning php and I need to use a database to
> build a dynamic website. Which one would you recommend, MySQL or PostgreSQL?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

> -- charif

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:07:51 GMT
 php + mysql or php + postgresql?
My personal experience is that there is no difficulty factor difference
between MySQL or PostgreSQL. They just do some things differently.
Personally I think you're better off learning on PostgreSQL because the
knowledge transfers more easily to an RDBMS like Oracle (for eg. how pg
and ora use sequences).

Just because pg supports features like transactions and foreign keys
doesn't mean you have to be aware of them (let alone use them). You can
be a complete newbie and just use 2% of postgres's capabilities.

MySQL has some really cool-funky advanced features too but they're
mostly used by experienced programmers. This doesn't mean you have to be
an advanced programmer to use them.

There are some myths about pgsql which haven't had any validity for the
last 2 or so years:
- pg is more difficult to use than other RDBMSs
- pg is slow
- pg is unstable
- pg doesn't support large text fields (greater than 8k)

All of the above are untrue - in fact, quite the opposite is true in
most cases.

if you're intersted in speed, see
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/smith20010821.php3
on optimising PG or see http://www.hughes.com.au for a small/fast RDBMS

I think there are 3 main reasons why MySQL is more popular
1 - it used to be the fastest in it's price-range
2 - it used to be commercial so it was marketed better
3 - people thought it was easier to use cos it had less features

If you don't want a sophisticated RDBMS, then just pretrend that PG is
not sophisticated. Pretend that it's MiniSQL (what I used to learn
databases with - http://www.hughes.com.au ) :)

Don't get me wrong, I still like MySQL and I use it where other
developers want me to use it, but I'm tired of PG being ender-rated due
to misunderstandings or lack of up-to-date research.

Quote:

>>The title says it all. I am learning php and I need to use a database to
>>build a dynamic website. Which one would you recommend, MySQL or

> PostgreSQL?

>>Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

> I use PostgreSQL myself, simply because it offers more features at this
> point.
> MySQL is great, but doesn't have things like referential integrity (at
> least, it
> didn't last I ever looked).  PostgreSQL also has more options for triggers
> and
> procedures.

> If you're really a newbie, I recommend MySQL, as you're not likely to have a
> need for advanced featurage until you've got some experience under your
> belt.

> As for PostgreSQL not being designed for web applications, I would beg to
> differ.
> So, I think, might the folks over at SourceForge, among various and diverse
> others.
> It all depends upon your needs.

> --

Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:24:36 GMT

1. PHP+MySQL vs. PHP+PostgreSQL

2. php mysql sample code php shareware like KB knowledgebase

3. PHP + Apache + PostgreSQL + Cygwin + Windows?

4. getingt php to work with postgresql on windows

5. PostgreSQL / PHP problem

6. php newsgroup [ alt.php ]

7. install PHP 4.2 and PHP 4.3 on the same host

8. Calling PHP Code Snippets within PHP Application

9. different PHP-Version with differengt php.ini files?

10. Apache + PHP not processing php

11. Newbie to PHP - Displaying local PHP Files

12. FLEX / BISON generator for PHP (JavaCC for PHP!)