PHP, MYSQL, IIS5 and Win2k Server in a Corporate Environment
Author Message
 PHP, MYSQL, IIS5 and Win2k Server in a Corporate Environment

I am investigating the viability of using the above setup for an Intranet
server. Does anyone know how stable the above setup would be? Anyone using
something similar? I know that the CGI version of PHP must be used, are
there any other issues to be aware of?

thanks

Gav

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:36:06 GMT
 PHP, MYSQL, IIS5 and Win2k Server in a Corporate Environment
As stable as anything on Windows.

Use the Windows Installer from www.php.net, the 1MB installer.  It'll install
the bare-bones PHP.  Next, go into IIS Admin, and add index.php to the list
of default documents, and move it to the top of the list if you want to make
sure it's the default doc your system will display.  You can test it with a
PHP program inside index.php which you can save in \inetpub\wwwroot:

<?php
print phpinfo();
?>

I've used the PHP for Windows mostly with Apache on Windows and have had
excellent success with it, haven't noticed anything unusual about it.  It's
nice to use on Windows, and with MySQL.  It's also working with SQL-Server2000,
so you should have fun.

Issues

It's pretty non-intrusive, not much there, so it's not going to trash up
your system or really cause problems if that's what you're afraid of.  The
installation is really something you can do manually, just a couple of files
and don't have to use the installer.  Great for stealth installations in
hard-core ASP environments.

:-)

BTW my favorite installation is PHP,Apache2,MySQL on my laptop, since you have
to have either some MS development environment or Windows Server to install IIS
or SQL-Server.

Quote:

> I am investigating the viability of using the above setup for an Intranet
> server. Does anyone know how stable the above setup would be? Anyone using
> something similar? I know that the CGI version of PHP must be used, are
> there any other issues to be aware of?

> thanks

> Gav

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:03:36 GMT
 PHP, MYSQL, IIS5 and Win2k Server in a Corporate Environment
I don't have a problem setting it up. Have used PHP, MySQL and IIS4/Apache
on Windows 2000, but only as a test/development environment. ie. Its
installed on my machine and I only have one connection to it (myself). Just
interested in how stable it is with many users.

Gav

Quote:
> As stable as anything on Windows.

> Use the Windows Installer from www.php.net, the 1MB installer.  It'll
install
> the bare-bones PHP.  Next, go into IIS Admin, and add index.php to the
list
> of default documents, and move it to the top of the list if you want to
make
> sure it's the default doc your system will display.  You can test it with
> PHP program inside index.php which you can save in \inetpub\wwwroot:

> <?php
> print phpinfo();
> ?>

> I've used the PHP for Windows mostly with Apache on Windows and have had
> excellent success with it, haven't noticed anything unusual about it.
It's
> nice to use on Windows, and with MySQL.  It's also working with
SQL-Server2000,
> so you should have fun.

> Issues

> It's pretty non-intrusive, not much there, so it's not going to trash up
> your system or really cause problems if that's what you're afraid of.  The
> installation is really something you can do manually, just a couple of
files
> and don't have to use the installer.  Great for stealth installations in
> hard-core ASP environments.

> :-)

> BTW my favorite installation is PHP,Apache2,MySQL on my laptop, since you
have
> to have either some MS development environment or Windows Server to
install IIS
> or SQL-Server.

> > I am investigating the viability of using the above setup for an
Intranet
> > server. Does anyone know how stable the above setup would be? Anyone
using
> > something similar? I know that the CGI version of PHP must be used, are
> > there any other issues to be aware of?

> > thanks

> > Gav

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:18:14 GMT
 PHP, MYSQL, IIS5 and Win2k Server in a Corporate Environment

Quote:
> I am investigating the viability of using the above setup for an Intranet
> server. Does anyone know how stable the above setup would be? Anyone using
> something similar? I know that the CGI version of PHP must be used, are
> there any other issues to be aware of?

your configuration would work fine without any noticeable problem.

Just one small thing when you will develop applications : there was a known
bug with IIS (see
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=9802  or
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/9316/fid/4)
"that causes the server to ignore a SetCookie header directive if there is
also a redirection directive".

A workaround is to use this kind of script instead of simple
header("location ..."):

function do_redirect ( $url ) {
  global $SERVER_SOFTWARE, $_SERVER;
  if ( empty ( $SERVER_SOFTWARE ) )
    $SERVER_SOFTWARE = $_SERVER["SERVER_SOFTWARE"];
  //echo "SERVER_SOFTWARE = $SERVER_SOFTWARE <BR>"; exit;
  if ( substr ( $SERVER_SOFTWARE, 0, 5 ) == "Micro" ) {
    echo "<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Redirect</TITLE>" .
      "<META HTTP-EQUIV=\"Refresh\" CONTENT=\"0; URL=$url\"></HEAD><BODY>" .
      "Redirecting to ... <A HREF=\"" . $url .
"\">here</A>.</BODY></HTML>.\n";
  } else {
    Header ( "Location: $url" );
    echo "<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Redirect</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>" .
      "Redirecting to ... <A HREF=\"" . $url .
"\">here</A>.</BODY></HTML>.\n";
  }
  exit;

Quote:
}

Regards,
Philippe

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:23:32 GMT
 PHP, MYSQL, IIS5 and Win2k Server in a Corporate Environment

Quote:

> I am investigating the viability of using the above setup for an Intranet
> server. Does anyone know how stable the above setup would be? Anyone using
> something similar? I know that the CGI version of PHP must be used, are
> there any other issues to be aware of?

if you get the file:
http://www.php.net/get/php-4.3.0-Win32.zip/from/a/mirror

then you don't *have* to run it as a CGI. It also has an ISAPI module
that can be used and is faster.

--
Registered Linux User #273744
<www.volutin.net -- everything irrelevant>

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:50:09 GMT
 PHP, MYSQL, IIS5 and Win2k Server in a Corporate Environment
I already have the installs and source files. ISAPI module will be no good
for me because as the install states.

'please note that the SAPI modules are *NOT* yet considered to be production
quality.'

I am investigating this for a productive system, instability is not an
option.

Gav

Quote:

> > I am investigating the viability of using the above setup for an
Intranet
> > server. Does anyone know how stable the above setup would be? Anyone
using
> > something similar? I know that the CGI version of PHP must be used, are
> > there any other issues to be aware of?

> if you get the file:
> http://www.php.net/get/php-4.3.0-Win32.zip/from/a/mirror

> then you don't *have* to run it as a CGI. It also has an ISAPI module
> that can be used and is faster.

> --
> Registered Linux User #273744
> <www.volutin.net -- everything irrelevant>
> now playing :: [winamp not running]

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:58:24 GMT
 PHP, MYSQL, IIS5 and Win2k Server in a Corporate Environment
On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:23:32 +0100, "Philippe Saladin"

Quote:

>Just one small thing when you will develop applications : there was a known
>bug with IIS (see
>http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=9802  or
>http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/9316/fid/4)
>"that causes the server to ignore a SetCookie header directive if there is
>also a redirection directive".

>A workaround is to use this kind of script instead of simple
>header("location ..."):

[snip]

There's a better solution that doesn't require a meta refresh
described here:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&m=102929828515647&w=2

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:00:19 GMT
 PHP, MYSQL, IIS5 and Win2k Server in a Corporate Environment

Quote:
> I already have the installs and source files. ISAPI module will be no good
> for me because as the install states.

> 'please note that the SAPI modules are *NOT* yet considered to be
> production quality.'

> I am investigating this for a productive system, instability is not an
> option.

> Gav

Considering how bogged down your server will get if you try to run PHP as a
cgi module and your server gets medium-heavy traffic? A new instance must be
created each time a visitor requests a page. It's inefficient as hell... the
guys at php.net are great, but they are also conservative in what they're
willing to call 'production quality.' the majority of ISPs and hosting
providers use the SAPI modules, as do many businesses I have worked with. I
would strongly consider using the SAPI module rather than the CGI version...

--
// Agelmar
-

Wed, 03 Aug 2005 04:29:32 GMT
 PHP, MYSQL, IIS5 and Win2k Server in a Corporate Environment
[re-arranged posts into chronological order]

Quote:
>>then you don't *have* to run it as a CGI. It also has an ISAPI module
>>that can be used and is faster.

 > I already have the installs and source files. ISAPI module will be
 > no good for me because as the install states.
 >
 > 'please note that the SAPI modules are *NOT* yet considered to be
 > production quality.'
 >
 > I am investigating this for a productive system, instability is not
 > an option.

*thwack* *smacks forehead*. I should read the post before replying ...
or maybe get some sleep. hehe

One other small thing: next time, please remove all but some quoted
text, and reply below it, just as I've done now. If you reply above
the quoted text, this'll happen:

 >> Reply 3
 >>> Reply 2
 > Reply 4

As you can see, it makes a mess of a thread. Bottom-posting and good
snipping makes a thread readable. Because of the asynchronous,
distributed nature of Usenet, the chronological order of the thread
might not be the same as the order the posts are delivered. Therefore
it's vital that the message itself is in chronological order. An
arguement in favour of top-posting is that the reader doesn't have to
scroll all the way down to read the reply. Removing unneeded quoted
text voids that arguement, since the text will begin a few lines from
the top.

Cheers,
Will M
--
Registered Linux User #273744
<www.volutin.net -- everything irrelevant>
now playing :: [winamp not running]

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:38:21 GMT

1. Ruby DBI, MySQL and Win2K Server

2. Using remote MySQL server with PHP via HTTP

3. MySQL/PHP with redundant slave servers

4. PHP can't connect to MySQL server

5. SQL Server to MySQL thru PHP

6. SAPI php problem on IIS5.1

7. Windows 2000 server IIS5 and Clarion 5.5

8. php mysql sample code php shareware like KB knowledgebase

9. PHP+MySQL vs. PHP+PostgreSQL

10. php + mysql or php + postgresql?

11. Access Control of Applications in a Corporate Environment

12. MySQL locally vs. MySQL on server