XML data island problem
Author Message
 XML data island problem

I am developing an Equestrian timekeeping system which uses PHP and
MySQL (Linux) on the server-side and XML data islands and Javascript (IE
5+) on the client side.

The system is near completion and working mostly fine. However, when we
increased the number of riders for a bigger test last weekend some
peculiar things happened.

the in-line XML dataset in now empty, even though there is plenty of
data there.

At first I suspected a logic error in the PHP code that might have been
producing poorly formed XML. But doing a view source revealed no
problems there.

As a test I ran the server-side PHP script and captured the output in a
flat html file. This flat file loads and displays correctly in IE, but
this at all, since the results of the PHP script execution is IDENTICAL
to the html file!

I timed the execution of the PHP script and around 0.9 seconds, so I
doubt it is an IE timeout problem. Does anyone have any clues, I am
running out of ideas. It is very frustrating after putting so much work
into the system.

BTW - I am using IE 5 on the client and PHP 4.0.6 under Red Hat Linux 7.2

Thanks guys.

Steve

Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:48:33 GMT
 XML data island problem
Nil Desperandum!

I fixed it!

My PHP generates something like this:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
header stuff
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<XML data>

<SCRIPT ...>
Javascript code
</SCRIPT>

html stuff here

</BODY>
</HTML>

I moved the <BODY> tag to below the XML data and BINGO - it works. I
don't userstand why - but I'm one happy camper! B-)

WOO HOO!

Steve

Mon, 27 Jun 2005 01:41:52 GMT

1. xml.sax and reserved XML characters in the data stream

2. Using CLOCC xml.lisp to print XML in XML format

3. displaying XML data using a HTML page

4. Read data from XML file to LabVIEW

5. Which method for storing data, config or xml?

6. Read data from XML file to LabVIEW

7. Eiffel XML Data Binding

8. XML Data Binding Specification (for Java)

9. xml data binding for Ruby ?

10. Reading and saving data of VRML objects in XML document

11. object instance data to docbook, xml, pdf, etc?

12. streaming data with XML-RPC