setting up php on a CD
Author Message
 setting up php on a CD

Hello,

 I have a CD with a bunch of HTML files. What I have to do is to add a
search engine to the CD. I have a search package written in php that
works fine. However, I can't execute any php scripts on the CD because
it doesn't know where the php executable is. How do I install php onto
a cd so that php files on the cd can run? Thanks so much for your
help.

Cheers,
Serge

Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:52:00 GMT
 setting up php on a CD
Hi Serge,

Take a look at a program called MicroWeb, it's just what you are looking
for. It supports Perl, PHP, and even MySQL.

http://www.indigostar.com/microweb.htm

Regards,

Chris Hagerman

Quote:
> Hello,

>  I have a CD with a bunch of HTML files. What I have to do is to add a
> search engine to the CD. I have a search package written in php that
> works fine. However, I can't execute any php scripts on the CD because
> it doesn't know where the php executable is. How do I install php onto
> a cd so that php files on the cd can run? Thanks so much for your
> help.

> Cheers,
> Serge

Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:17:30 GMT
 setting up php on a CD

Quote:

> Hi Serge,

> Take a look at a program called MicroWeb, it's just what you are looking
> for. It supports Perl, PHP, and even MySQL.

> http://www.indigostar.com/microweb.htm

> Regards,

> Chris Hagerman

 Thanks! I installed MicroWeb and the php search runs fine. However,
it is not freeware and thus, it displays an annoying trial message on
start up. Is there any way to get rid of that (start the server in the
background or something) or is there some kind of a freeware version
based on MicroWeb? Thanks for your help.

Mon, 01 Aug 2005 02:38:39 GMT
 setting up php on a CD

<snip>

Quote:
>  Thanks! I installed MicroWeb and the php search runs fine. However,
> it is not freeware and thus, it displays an annoying trial message on
> start up. Is there any way to get rid of that (start the server in the
> background or something) or is there some kind of a freeware version
> based on MicroWeb? Thanks for your help.

Try IndigoPerl instead, available free from www.indigostar.com. I've done a
cgi install of PHP4 on one of my computers that runs IndigoPerl. Works fine.
YMMV.

I expect a CD version would be relatively easy to configure. Naturally, some
of the files need to be writable, e.g., the Apache server logs; so you'd
want to host those in , say, a temporary directory on the host computer.

Good luck!

Bill Segraves

Mon, 01 Aug 2005 02:50:49 GMT
 setting up php on a CD

Have a look at the thread

and then go to
http://www.x-author.de/en/tools/amp/x-author.html

for a ready-made solution which you can download and which is free.

Quote:
> Hello,

>  I have a CD with a bunch of HTML files. What I have to do is to add a
> search engine to the CD. I have a search package written in php that
> works fine. However, I can't execute any php scripts on the CD because
> it doesn't know where the php executable is. How do I install php onto
> a cd so that php files on the cd can run? Thanks so much for your
> help.

> Cheers,
> Serge

Martin Lucas-Smith                              www.geog.cam.ac.uk/~mvl22

Mon, 01 Aug 2005 03:18:50 GMT
 setting up php on a CD

Quote:

> Have a look at the thread
> http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum13/1760.htm

> and then go to
> http://www.x-author.de/en/tools/amp/x-author.html

The package they have is a .tar.bz2 file. I can't seem to extract this
on windows. Is it available in a plain .zip (it says it is but the
file is not there) format or something. Thanks!

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 07:39:36 GMT
 setting up php on a CD

Quote:

> > Have a look at the thread
> > http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum13/1760.htm

> > and then go to
> > http://www.x-author.de/en/tools/amp/x-author.html

> The package they have is a .tar.bz2 file. I can't seem to extract this
> on windows. Is it available in a plain .zip (it says it is but the
> file is not there) format or something. Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and get power archiver (or something similar):
http://www.powerarchiver.com/

It got me out of a similar jam when my only access to some needed data was in a tar.bz file.

It's shareware and it's very legitimate to use it one time like this (according to the shareware agreement).

 Chuck Anderson ? Boulder, CO    CycleTourist at
 http://www.CycleTourist.com           attbi.com
 Tolerance is recognizing that other people have different ideals
 and needs than you. Compromise is acting on that knowledge.

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 08:44:48 GMT
 setting up php on a CD

Quote:

Stuffit Expander (free) will unpack this (http://www.aladdinsys.com/).

--
David Risner
http://www.risner.org/david/

Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:56:44 GMT
 setting up php on a CD

Quote:

> >> Have a look at the thread
> >> http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum13/1760.htm

> >> and then go to
> >> http://www.x-author.de/en/tools/amp/x-author.html

> > The package they have is a .tar.bz2 file. I can't seem to extract this
> > on windows. Is it available in a plain .zip (it says it is but the
> > file is not there) format or something. Thanks!

> Stuffit Expander (free) will unpack this (http://www.aladdinsys.com/).

I got the Stuffit Expander (thanks!) and it works fine for all
archives but the amp_win-dows_0.3.tar.b-z2 archive that I downloaded
from http://www.x-author.de/en/tools/amp/x-author.html appears to be
empty. It seems to open it, but there is nothing in it. WinZip returns
some header error upon trying to extract. I then tried using
PowerArchiver and it says that the file does not appear to be avlid
archive and can't open it. Do you have any suggestions? Is there a way
to just do it manually by configuring Apache? Thanks for all the help.

Wed, 03 Aug 2005 08:23:01 GMT
 setting up php on a CD

Quote:

> > > The package they have is a .tar.bz2 file. I can't seem to extract this
> > > on windows. Is it available in a plain .zip (it says it is but the
> > > file is not there) format or something. Thanks!

> > Stuffit Expander (free) will unpack this (http://www.aladdinsys.com/).

> I got the Stuffit Expander (thanks!) and it works fine for all
> archives but the amp_win-dows_0.3.tar.b-z2 archive that I downloaded
> from http://www.x-author.de/en/tools/amp/x-author.html appears to be
> empty. It seems to open it, but there is nothing in it. WinZip returns
> some header error upon trying to extract. I then tried using
> PowerArchiver and it says that the file does not appear to be avlid
> archive and can't open it. Do you have any suggestions? Is there a way
> to just do it manually by configuring Apache? Thanks for all the help.

That dash (.b-z2) could cause trouble.  Is that really in the name?  Why does
windows have a dash in the middle, too (win-dows)?

I downloaded amp_windows_0.3.tar.bz2 and decompressed it with power archiver
with no problem.

Download it again?

 Chuck Anderson ? Boulder, CO    CycleTourist at
 http://www.CycleTourist.com           attbi.com
 Tolerance is recognizing that other people have different ideals
 and needs than you. Compromise is acting on that knowledge.

Thu, 04 Aug 2005 07:23:10 GMT
 setting up php on a CD

Quote:

> That dash (.b-z2) could cause trouble.  Is that really in the name?  Why does
> windows have a dash in the middle, too (win-dows)?

> I downloaded amp_windows_0.3.tar.bz2 and decompressed it with power archiver
> with no problem.

> Download it again?

I finally expanded the archive with 'tar xvfI amp_windows_0.3.tar.bz2'
on Linux (I have a dual-boot). Then I added my content folder to the
/htdocs directory, burned to a CDRW, and everything runs great (thanks
so much for your help). The server starts automatically when the CD is
initialized (loaded into the bay). However, what is kind of annoying
(I have to distribute this CD to people that have no idea of what web
servers are) is that it opens up a bunch of DOS windows to let the
user know what is happening when it first starts the server when the
CD is loaded. MicroWeb (see first thread post) accomplishes to do
without this but it is not freeware and lets the user know about it
with a pop up. Thus, is there any way to prevent it from opening any
DOS windows (maybe run the httpd in the background)? Thanks again for
all the help.

Fri, 05 Aug 2005 10:33:02 GMT
 setting up php on a CD

Quote:

> I finally expanded the archive with 'tar xvfI amp_windows_0.3.tar.bz2'
> on Linux (I have a dual-boot). Then I added my content folder to the
> /htdocs directory, burned to a CDRW, and everything runs great (thanks
> so much for your help). The server starts automatically when the CD is
> initialized (loaded into the bay). However, what is kind of annoying
> (I have to distribute this CD to people that have no idea of what web
> servers are) is that it opens up a bunch of DOS windows to let the
> user know what is happening when it first starts the server when the
> CD is loaded. MicroWeb (see first thread post) accomplishes to do
> without this but it is not freeware and lets the user know about it
> with a pop up. Thus, is there any way to prevent it from opening any
> DOS windows (maybe run the httpd in the background)? Thanks again for
> all the help.

OK, after a little research here and there I see that there is no real
good way to get the server to start without opening the dos windows.
Thus, what I thought of is to create a batch script that will open a
welcome html page upon startup and that will have a link to start the
server. This will prevent people from closing the dos windows and
killing the Apache and PHP startup processes. However, simlpy calling
the start_.bat script through an <a href="start_.bat">link</a> doesn't
work. Is there a way to execute a windows script through an html link?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:54:10 GMT

1. Programming CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW

2. Programming CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW

3. Setting include_path for CGI PHP

4. Newbie needs help setting up user MySQL thru PHP

5. where are setting stored when there is no php.ini file

6. PHP Cookie Setting Issue

7. Combine result sets from a php query

8. Setting up Tomcat for PHP without Apache

9. Cross-Platform CD Publishing - best CD-R drive/sw

10. want code/info for playing audio cd's in CD-ROM

11. CD, CD-RomRepair

12. Distinguishing CD-ROM from CD/RW drives?