if/else vs. ternery efficiency
Author Message
 if/else vs. ternery efficiency

Hi!

Which of the following is more efficient?

    $var=a?b:c?d:e?f:g?h:i;

    if(a){
        $var=b;
    }elseif(c){
        $var=d;
    }elseif(e){
        $var=f;
    }elseif(g){
        $var=h;
    }else{
        $var=i;
    }

Thanks!

In general, how do you tell which of two methods is better?

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:17:44 GMT
 if/else vs. ternery efficiency

Quote:

> Hi!

> Which of the following is more efficient?

>     $var=a?b:c?d:e?f:g?h:i;

>     if(a){
>         $var=b;
>     }elseif(c){
>         $var=d;
>     }elseif(e){
>         $var=f;
>     }elseif(g){
>         $var=h;
>     }else{
>         $var=i;
>     }

> Thanks!

> In general, how do you tell which of two methods is better?

Ok, the first statement shouldn't even be considered because it's completely
unreadable. Also, since the two statements do pretty much the same thing
there is no reason to expect there to be any difference now is there?

And finally, the efficiency of an if-statement won't affect the efficiency
of your application, so why bother?

As for your final question, in general I only optimize if needed, that is if
something seems to slow I optimize it. IMO that is the optimal way :)

Andr N?ss

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:14:09 GMT
 if/else vs. ternery efficiency

Quote:

> Hi!

> Which of the following is more efficient?

>     $var=a?b:c?d:e?f:g?h:i;

>     if(a){
>         $var=b;
>     }elseif(c){
>         $var=d;
>     }elseif(e){
>         $var=f;
>     }elseif(g){
>         $var=h;
>     }else{
>         $var=i;
>     }

> Thanks!

> In general, how do you tell which of two methods is better?

Define efficiency...

1. how long it takes your code to run? I don't think either would make a
difference.

2. how long it takes you to debug the code? using the if/elseif would be
_much_ more efficient since you can quickly see what it does without
translation.

--

PHP POSTERS: Please use comp.lang.php for PHP related questions,
              alt.php* groups are not recommended.

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:24:01 GMT
 if/else vs. ternery efficiency
There's a great book, /The/ /Elements/ /of/ /Programming/ /Style,/ which
makes some pretty important points such as:

   *    Don't diddle the code to make it faster; find a better algorithm.

   *    Make it clear.

Above all else, I think, "make it /clear/ " and let the compiler or
interpreter or whatever do its job.

   *    At 100 million ops per second, no one can hear you scream.

   *    One programmer still costs $75,000 a year.

Quote:

> Which of the following is more efficient?

>     $var=a?b:c?d:e?f:g?h:i;

>     if(a){
>         $var=b;
>     }elseif(c){
>         $var=d;
>     }elseif(e){
>         $var=f;
>     }elseif(g){
>         $var=h;
>     }else{
>         $var=i;
>     }

> Thanks!

> In general, how do you tell which of two methods is better?

Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:09:36 GMT
 if/else vs. ternery efficiency

Quote:

> Above all else, I think, "make it /clear/ " and let the compiler or
> interpreter or whatever do its job.

>    *    At 100 million ops per second, no one can hear you scream.

>    *    One programmer still costs $75,000 a year.

Excellent points which people often ignore. Another way of puting it:
We often forget that program efficiency also includes the developer's time.

--
----- stephan beal

Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:39:53 GMT
 if/else vs. ternery efficiency

Quote:

> Which of the following is more efficient?

In terms of speed of execution, they are probably the same.
In terms of code readability, both are ugly, each in its own
way.

Quote:
>     $var=a?b:c?d:e?f:g?h:i;

>     if(a){
>         $var=b;
>     }elseif(c){
>      $var=d;
>     }elseif(e){
>      $var=f;
>     }elseif(g){
>      $var=h;
>     }else{
>      $var=i;
>     }

> In general, how do you tell which of two methods is better?

Neither.  I'd use a switch {} instead...

swtitch {
  case a:
    $var=b;
    break;
  case c:
    $var=d;
    break;
  case e:
    $var=f;
    break;
  case g:
    $var=h;
    break;
  default:
    $var=i;

Quote:
}

Cheers,
NC

Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:28:23 GMT
 if/else vs. ternery efficiency
and then stephan beal said:

Quote:

>> Above all else, I think, "make it /clear/ " and let the compiler or
>> interpreter or whatever do its job.

>>    *    At 100 million ops per second, no one can hear you scream.

>>    *    One programmer still costs $75,000 a year.

> Excellent points which people often ignore. Another way of puting it:
> We often forget that program efficiency also includes the developer's
> time.

Seeing's as I'm a hobbyist, (or at least, a willing volunteer), these don't
really apply.  I asked because if the single line one is quicker, then I
would prefer it.  I don't do this as a day job, and seem to be able to
remember the purpose each line of code I have ever written as soon as I
look at it - no one else is ever going to be looking at my code and I want
to tweak it to death.

Thanks for the advice!

viza

Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:12:15 GMT
 if/else vs. ternery efficiency
and then Justin Koivisto said:

Quote:

>> Which of the following is more efficient?
>>     $var=a?b:c?d:e?f:g?h:i;

>>     if(a){
>>         $var=b;
>>     }elseif(c){
>>         $var=d;
>>     }elseif(e){
>>         $var=f;
>>     }elseif(g){
>>         $var=h;
>>     }else{
>>         $var=i;
>>     }

> Define efficiency...

> 1. how long it takes your code to run? I don't think either would make a
> difference.

ok

Quote:
> 2. how long it takes you to debug the code? using the if/elseif would be
> _much_ more efficient since you can quickly see what it does without
> translation.

I would say anything that keeps more of the script on the page would help me
work faster.  If I write something I would hope that I could understand it
at a glance without too much thought.  The actual code looks like:

$tnumber is a positive integer, I want a four digit string.

if($tnumber<10){
    $tnumber='000'.$tnumber;

Quote:
}elseif($tnumber<100){

    $tnumber='00'.$tnumber;
Quote:
}elseif($tnumber<1000){

    $tnumber='0'.$tnumber;

Quote:
}

You can do similar with str_pad(), I know, but guessed the above might be
more effecient.

Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:19:15 GMT
 if/else vs. ternery efficiency

says...

Quote:
> I would say anything that keeps more of the script on the page would help me
> work faster.

Sort of like using str_pad() or printf() rather than the kludgery which
follows? ;-)

Quote:
> $tnumber is a positive integer, I want a four digit string.

> if($tnumber<10){
>     $tnumber='000'.$tnumber;
> }elseif($tnumber<100){
>     $tnumber='00'.$tnumber;
> }elseif($tnumber<1000){
>     $tnumber='0'.$tnumber;
> }

> You can do similar with str_pad(), I know, but guessed the above might be
> more efficient.

The best way to know which code is more efficient is to benchmark it:
<http://pear.php.net/package-info.php?pacid=53>. printf() or str_pad()
are probably the best solution and I would stick with them regardless of
whether or not they were more efficient (the difference would certainly
be negligible).

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the results you come up with if
you choose to do some benchmarking :-)

HTH,
--
steven vasilogianis

Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:10:46 GMT
 if/else vs. ternery efficiency

Quote:

> and then Justin Koivisto said:

> >>Which of the following is more efficient?
> >>    $var=a?b:c?d:e?f:g?h:i;

> >>    if(a){
> >>        $var=b;
> >>    }elseif(c){
> >>        $var=d;
> >>    }elseif(e){
> >>        $var=f;
> >>    }elseif(g){
> >>        $var=h;
> >>    }else{
> >>        $var=i;
> >>    }

> >Define efficiency...

> >1. how long it takes your code to run? I don't think either would make a
> >difference.

> ok

> >2. how long it takes you to debug the code? using the if/elseif would be
> >_much_ more efficient since you can quickly see what it does without
> >translation.

> I would say anything that keeps more of the script on the page would
> help me
> work faster.  If I write something I would hope that I could
> understand it
> at a glance without too much thought.  The actual code looks like:

> $tnumber is a positive integer, I want a four digit string.

> if($tnumber<10){
>     $tnumber='000'.$tnumber;
> }elseif($tnumber<100){
>     $tnumber='00'.$tnumber;
> }elseif($tnumber<1000){
>     $tnumber='0'.$tnumber;
> }

you could also use something like:
$tnumber=sprintf('%04d',$tnumber);

I don't know the specifics for performance with str_pad(), sprintf()...

--

PHP POSTERS: Please use comp.lang.php for PHP related questions,
              alt.php* groups are not recommended.

Wed, 27 Apr 2005 04:18:48 GMT
 if/else vs. ternery efficiency

Quote:
> Neither.  I'd use a switch {} instead...

> swtitch {
>   case a:
>     $var=b;
>     break;
>   case c:
>     $var=d;
>     break;
>   case e:
>     $var=f;
>     break;
>   case g:
>     $var=h;
>     break;
>   default:
>     $var=i;
> }

> Cheers,
> NC

I agree, the "switch" is more readable. If you want, you could also
think of it as being more efficient. Just say to yourself that after
finding a case that matches, the switch statement ends. :)

Fri, 13 May 2005 13:12:22 GMT

1. RIUPDATE/RIDELETE vs ORACLE: BIG Efficiency problem

2. elegance vs efficiency (quicksort)

3. Dyaln Efficiency VS C++

4. The contract vs. efficiency

5. Clarity VS Efficiency in POP11

6. efficiency, perl vs C

7. Object code efficiency - COBOL vs C.

8. Efficiency and Nested Loops VS Readability

9. Ada vs C implementation efficiency

10. efficiency of explicit vs. assumed shape arrays

11. Efficiency of pointer vs. allocatable arrays in F90

12. Efficiency of g77 vs. MS FPS 4.0