PHP and PDF
Author Message
 PHP and PDF

Hello all .... I am new to to PHP and was wondering if the following
can be done:

I have a bunch of pdf documents on a linux server (php included).  I
have a bunch of end users that ONLY have Acrobat Reader.  I want the
users to be able to pull up the pdf documents in a browser, fill out
the form, and submit the data to mySQL.  I also want the user to be
able to pull up the document and have the fields populated from mySQL.

How hard is that??  What do I need to have??

Thank you .......

Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:39:23 GMT
 PHP and PDF

Quote:
> I have a bunch of pdf documents on a linux server (php included).  I
> have a bunch of end users that ONLY have Acrobat Reader.  I want the
> users to be able to pull up the pdf documents in a browser, fill out
> the form, and submit the data to mySQL.  I also want the user to be
> able to pull up the document and have the fields populated from mySQL.

> How hard is that??  What do I need to have??

I have no clue if Acrobat Reader can submit form data to servers, but if
you're doing it through a HTML page before giving the user the PDF
document, you'd just use your script to get the form data, enter it into
your MySQL database, then you would use PDFLib to generate your dynamic
PDF. Unfortunately, you'll need to regenerate it completely (PDFlib only
generates and does not load any PDFs). Does that answer your question, or
did I misunderstand? Information on how to do all this is in the PHP
manual:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/

KAH

Wed, 06 Apr 2005 05:12:43 GMT
 PHP and PDF

Quote:

>> I have a bunch of pdf documents on a linux server (php included).  I
>> have a bunch of end users that ONLY have Acrobat Reader.  I want the
>> users to be able to pull up the pdf documents in a browser, fill out
>> the form, and submit the data to mySQL.  I also want the user to be
>> able to pull up the document and have the fields populated from mySQL.

>> How hard is that??  What do I need to have??

> I have no clue if Acrobat Reader can submit form data to servers

Acrobat documentation claims Reader can submit form data provided it is
runing as a plug-in.  Adobe does have a data format (FDF) which  can be
used to save and reload form data.  However, if I understand what you
want to do (i.e., do with PDF what we normally do as a matter of course
with HTML) you'll need 3rd party software (FDF Merge) to do it with PDF.

Wed, 13 Apr 2005 02:05:32 GMT
 PHP and PDF

Quote:

> I have a bunch of pdf documents on a linux server (php included).  I
> have a bunch of end users that ONLY have Acrobat Reader.  I want the
> users to be able to pull up the pdf documents in a browser, fill out
> the form, and submit the data to mySQL.  I also want the user to be
> able to pull up the document and have the fields populated from mySQL.

Sounds like you need to use Forms Data Format (FDF), which is how forms
are handled via PDF documents.

Quote:
> How hard is that??  What do I need to have??

Start here and see for yourself:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.fdf.php

Cheers,
NC

Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:09:49 GMT

1. php and pdf

2. PHP and PDF examples/How to

3. Using PHP to fill data on a PDF

4. PHP, PDF, and FDF - problem with PHP4 default Content-Type: text/html

5. searching in word document (or exell or pdf etc) with a php script

6. Recherche de fichiers PDF en PHP

7. Search some String in PDF with PDF.OCX

8. Appendix.pdf - Appendix.pdf (0/6)

9. extract info from pdf doc,PDF to XML, HTML

10. CL-PDF the Common Lisp PDF Library 0.2

11. CL-PDF: need beta testers for cl-pdf 1.0

12. CL-PDF 0.45 (The Common Lisp PDF Library)