PHP + Apache + PostgreSQL + Cygwin + Windows?
Author Message
 PHP + Apache + PostgreSQL + Cygwin + Windows?

I would like to write a web app that will eventually be deployed on a
Unix machine, but I would like to develop it on my laptop running
Windows 98.

I got PostgreSQL running on my laptop with cygwin.

My question is: should I use PHP and Apache for cygwin, or use the
Windows binary versions of PHP and Apache.

Thanks,

Holt

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:38:23 GMT
 PHP + Apache + PostgreSQL + Cygwin + Windows?

Quote:
> My question is: should I use PHP and Apache for cygwin, or use the
> Windows binary versions of PHP and Apache.

Unless you are doing low-level UNIX stuff, do not go through cygwin. Use
the Windows versions. PHP is very portable, again, unless you are
mucking about with file permissions, sendmail, etc.

I develop on my Windows machine running Apache and my web host has a
FreeBSD server with Apache. We do not even run the same versions of
Apache, PHP, or MySQL, and I never run into problems.

John Gaughan

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 01:46:46 GMT
 PHP + Apache + PostgreSQL + Cygwin + Windows?

Quote:

>> My question is: should I use PHP and Apache for cygwin, or use the
>> Windows binary versions of PHP and Apache.

> Unless you are doing low-level UNIX stuff, do not go through cygwin. Use
> the Windows versions. PHP is very portable, again, unless you are
> mucking about with file permissions, sendmail, etc.

> I develop on my Windows machine running Apache and my web host has a
> FreeBSD server with Apache. We do not even run the same versions of
> Apache, PHP, or MySQL, and I never run into problems.

> John Gaughan

what he said...

plus...

You can use postgres under cygwin and everything else as native windows.
This is fine for development since you will probably want to have
postgres running on a dedicated unix box for production stuff anyway.

I wouldn't rely on any major services running under cygwin for a
production scenario.

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:00:05 GMT

1. getingt php to work with postgresql on windows

2. PHP+MySQL vs. PHP+PostgreSQL

3. php + mysql or php + postgresql?

4. Windows Apache 2 / PHP 4.3 Setup

5. Apache+PHP+Oracle+Windows -issue

6. Apache + PHP not processing php

7. php is not interpreted (apache 2.0.43, php 4.3.0, linux)

8. authenticate on apache via mod_pyton (postgresql) ... glitch

9. postgresql and apache

10. Apache+Neowebscript+postgresql:libpgtcl error

11. PostgreSQL / PHP problem

12. windows.h not found, compiling 1.6.7 under cygwin/windows 2000