MySQL locally vs. MySQL on server
Author Message
 MySQL locally vs. MySQL on server

I have a question about using MySQL off my ISP's web server. (Yes, it's
installed.)

I have been learning how to use PHP & MySQL on my local computer. I have
been able to grasp the concepts of using PHPmyadmin and using a DOS
prompt to work with MySQL with no problems whatsoever.

But how do I use these when I want to access the MySQL program that is
uploaded onto my ISP's server? I can't juust open a local DOS window and
PHPmyadmin has to me installed on the server and pointed to PHP (which
is currently beyond my capabilites).

And if I can't use these ways, what do I need to get to be able to
communicate with the uploaded MySQL program? Is there a web page
somewhere that can walk me through all this?

Thanks.

Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:53:52 GMT
 MySQL locally vs. MySQL on server

Quote:

> I have a question about using MySQL off my ISP's web server. (Yes, it's
> installed.)

> I have been learning how to use PHP & MySQL on my local computer. I have
> been able to grasp the concepts of using PHPmyadmin and using a DOS
> prompt to work with MySQL with no problems whatsoever.

> But how do I use these when I want to access the MySQL program that is
> uploaded onto my ISP's server? I can't juust open a local DOS window and
> PHPmyadmin has to me installed on the server and pointed to PHP (which
> is currently beyond my capabilites).

> And if I can't use these ways, what do I need to get to be able to
> communicate with the uploaded MySQL program? Is there a web page
> somewhere that can walk me through all this?

> Thanks.

The fastest is to learn to use the mysql program that comes with the
database distribution.  This is a command line driven utitilty that
provides a character based interface to the database so that you can
create and submit your SQL statements to the database.  It also runs
scripts from the command line directory without being in interactive
mode.

Depending on your ISP you will access your account either through a
telnet or SSH secure shell session.  If you ISP is unix based, you can
use the shell to access your database.  If it is NT based, the you
will be given a DOS prompt.  Either way you can run the mysql client
to interact with the database.

For help check out the MySQL documentation on the mysql client and
happy hacking!

Wes Bailey

Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:48:27 GMT
 MySQL locally vs. MySQL on server

Quote:

>>uploaded onto my ISP's server? I can't juust open a local DOS window and

> SSH instead of DOS window

>>PHPmyadmin has to me installed on the server and pointed to PHP (which
>>is currently beyond my capabilites).

> Install PHPmyadmin in your own webspace.. Point it to "localhost"  Its
> that simple :)

With PhpMyAdmin on my machine, is it possible to "front end"  my database on
the ISP's server?

Thanks,

Al

Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:03:14 GMT
 MySQL locally vs. MySQL on server
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:03:14 -0800, "Adams-Blake Co."

Quote:

>>>uploaded onto my ISP's server? I can't juust open a local DOS window and

>> SSH instead of DOS window

>>>PHPmyadmin has to me installed on the server and pointed to PHP (which
>>>is currently beyond my capabilites).

>> Install PHPmyadmin in your own webspace.. Point it to "localhost"  Its
>> that simple :)

>With PhpMyAdmin on my machine, is it possible to "front end"  my database on
>the ISP's server?

 Only if they opened the MySQL port to the Internet (which would be a terrible
idea) or if you have some way of forwarding the connection securely through to
behind their firewall (e.g. with SSH).

 Almost certainly easier just to drop a copy of phpMyAdmin into your webspace
at the ISP and use it remotely (from a suitably secured directory).

--

Space: disk usage analysis tool (http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space)

Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:12:27 GMT
 MySQL locally vs. MySQL on server

Quote:

>>With PhpMyAdmin on my machine, is it possible to "front end"  my database
>>on the ISP's server?

>  Only if they opened the MySQL port to the Internet (which would be a
>  terrible idea)

I think it's great.  Last time someone took advantage of people doing
that it took South Korea off the net and my spam load dropped 90%.

Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:52:41 GMT

1. Using remote MySQL server with PHP via HTTP

2. Connecting to mySQL on Unix server

3. Ruby DBI, MySQL and Win2K Server

4. Executing a dump of a remote mysql server

5. Connection to remote server with MySQL under Win/2K

6. MySQL/PHP with redundant slave servers

7. PHP can't connect to MySQL server

8. PHP, MYSQL, IIS5 and Win2k Server in a Corporate Environment

9. PHP4/MySQL security on public server

10. ColdFusion, MySQL, SQL Server, ASP.Net Hosting

11. SQL Server to MySQL thru PHP

12. mysql / webserver on diffent server's