Question about é character
Author Message
 Question about é character

Hi,

I've created a guestbook based on a flat txt-file. Everything works great,
but it doesn't seem to display the character correct (common in my
language!), it just displays this weird square thing!

Please help!
Maarten

Fri, 20 May 2005 23:51:22 GMT
 Question about é character
Sitting in the comp.lang.php Goldfish bowl, Maarten Hendrikx looked out
at the 'real world':

Quote:
> Hi,

> I've created a guestbook based on a flat txt-file. Everything works
> great, but it doesn't seem to display the character correct (common
> in my language!), it just displays this weird square thing!

I am afraid that I cannot offer any help, as the character that you
mention also appears as a square on my system! What is the name of the
character that you want? What does it look like?

--
Dylan Parry
http://www.webpageworkshop.co.uk

Sat, 21 May 2005 00:16:43 GMT
 Question about é character
Maarten Hendrikx said:

Quote:
>Hi,

>I've created a guestbook based on a flat txt-file. Everything works great,
>but it doesn't seem to display the character correct (common in my
>language!), it just displays this weird square thing!

Use a HTML entity, like é I think it is.

http://www.mountaindragon.com/html/iso.htm

--
Joseph Birr-Pixton

Sat, 21 May 2005 00:21:39 GMT
 Question about é character
Sitting in the comp.lang.php Goldfish bowl, jbp looked out at the 'real
world':

Quote:
> Maarten Hendrikx said:
>>Hi,

>>I've created a guestbook based on a flat txt-file. Everything works
>>great, but it doesn't seem to display the character correct (common
>>in my language!), it just displays this weird square thing!

> Use a HTML entity, like é I think it is.

é is the numerical reference for this character. See
http://www.webpageworkshop.co.uk/reference/characters.php?set=iso for
more information.

--
Dylan Parry
http://www.webpageworkshop.co.uk

Sat, 21 May 2005 00:35:37 GMT
 Question about é character

Quote:

> I've created a guestbook based on a flat txt-file. Everything works great,
> but it doesn't seem to display the ? character correct (common in my
> language!), it just displays this weird square thing!

An alternative to the htmlenties equiv of the character, you could (and
should) tell the browser which character encoding you are using
(iso8859-1(5) in your case).

BTW you should also instruct your newsagent to tell what characterset
you are using to post 8bit stuff in newsgroups.

--

  Daniel Tryba

Sat, 21 May 2005 05:48:22 GMT

1. Esta é boa

2. Esta é boa.

3. eé?é??

5. difference between character and character array

6. Array of character vs. character*ii

7. CHARACTER *(*) to CHARACTER*255

8. TAB character in a character constant

9. CHARACTER*1 A(80) and CHARACTER*80 A?

10. character*80 versus character*1 (80)

11. (subtypep '(simple-array character (*)) '(array character (*)))

12. Building a string, character-by-character (HELP!)