PHP/MySql vs ASP/Access
Author Message
 PHP/MySql vs ASP/Access

I'm nearing completion of a conversion of a system from ASP/Access to
PHP/MySQL - mainly because I have no work, and wanted to do this for a good
old customer. Much gratitude to everyone in the group.

My feelings are as follows:-

- As a VBA programmer, I still find ASP more natural. The C++ like syntax of
much of the language is alien to me, but this will change.

- Configuration of the site on the host of PHP/MySQL was much better than
with ASP/Access. The amount of trouble I had with permissions was
ridiculous.

- PHP is more "complete". With ASP, you have the language, but you then have
to learn objects which are sometimes installed, sometimes not. PHP settings
much, much easier than the registry under Windows.

- Both ASP and PHP people and newsgroups are helpful. The php.net resource
is very good.

- I found PHP debugging easier than ASP. Error messages are clearer.

- PHP gives me confidence that I can deliver code to a user. If something
doesn't do what I expect it to, I could always get a C++ friend to look at
the code - with ASP, I'm reliant on one vendor, who may or may not care
about my one little problem.

Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:55:56 GMT
 PHP/MySql vs ASP/Access

Quote:
> I'm nearing completion of a conversion of a system from ASP/Access to
> PHP/MySQL - mainly because I have no work, and wanted to do this for a
> good old customer. Much gratitude to everyone in the group.

> My feelings are as follows:-

> - As a VBA programmer, I still find ASP more natural. The C++ like
> syntax of much of the language is alien to me, but this will change.

> - Configuration of the site on the host of PHP/MySQL was much better
> than with ASP/Access. The amount of trouble I had with permissions was
> ridiculous.

> - PHP is more "complete". With ASP, you have the language, but you
> then have to learn objects which are sometimes installed, sometimes
> not. PHP settings much, much easier than the registry under Windows.

> - Both ASP and PHP people and newsgroups are helpful. The php.net
> resource is very good.

> - I found PHP debugging easier than ASP. Error messages are clearer.

> - PHP gives me confidence that I can deliver code to a user. If
> something doesn't do what I expect it to, I could always get a C++
> friend to look at the code - with ASP, I'm reliant on one vendor, who
> may or may not care about my one little problem.

Hear, hear!!

Maybe, if you use JScript or Perl as language of choice for ASP, more
people can help you out too.....  maybe.  It's a moot point when we have
PHP though.

Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:27:31 GMT

1. PHP+MySQL vs. PHP+PostgreSQL

2. Q: rexx -vs- ASP/PHP

3. PHP vs ASP - a newbies question

4. Access Denied error using mySQL through PHP

5. SV ASP vs Fenix ASP

6. php mysql sample code php shareware like KB knowledgebase

7. php + mysql or php + postgresql?

8. Websh vs Rivet vs AOLServer vs PHP

9. MySQL locally vs. MySQL on server

10. Clarion ASP w/ MySQL

11. List and Label in Clarion/ASP using mySQL