Capacity Planning with NT Perl
Author Message
 Capacity Planning with NT Perl

I am posting to get some ideas, help, and perhaps even actual working
examples of code that could be used for capacity planning purposes.   I
would like to be able to write a Perl program that is capable of
sampling an NT system for CPU utilization information both globally and
at the workload level   (i.e. I might like
to know that Microsoft Excel utilized 15% of  the systems resources
while Netscape used 10%--by engine if possible).  I would also like to
know how to obtain available memory, paging information, disk
utilization ( by drive) and response time information.

I have discovered that Perl  with the help of  NTRegQueryValueEx and
HKEY_PERFORMANCE_DATA,  HKEY_PERFORMANCE_TEXT, HKEY_PERFORMANCE_NLSTEXT
can read the system level counters that keep track of all the data I
desire and more. ( soon I will want more!)

How can I use these features to obtain the information I desire?   All
ideas are valuable!.
please if you post a response e-mail it to me as well to

                                                Thanks,

                                                Cris Shupp

Mon, 06 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Capacity Planning with NT Perl

Quote:
Cris Shupp writes:
>I have discovered that Perl  with the help of  NTRegQueryValueEx and
>HKEY_PERFORMANCE_DATA,  HKEY_PERFORMANCE_TEXT, HKEY_PERFORMANCE_NLSTEXT
>can read the system level counters that keep track of all the data I
>desire and more. ( soon I will want more!)
>How can I use these features to obtain the information I desire?   All
>ideas are valuable!.

Are your problems with how exactly to use NTRegQueryValueEx, or with the
locations of the useful information under HKEY_PERFORMANCE_DATA and family?

If the latter, i think you'll get better response to this question on
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 or thereabouts.

Join the Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email!  http://www.cauce.org/
Ceci n'est pas une .signature .

Tue, 07 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. looking for capacity planning resources: perl/oracle

2. undump in DOS/NT: Any plans?

3. capacity of perl array

4. Increasing capacity of text canvas

5. .plan changer/finger logger in PERL?

6. cal2ps filter for Plan in Perl (source)

7. any plans to port perl to the AS/400

8. Socket stuff (MSDOS perl) ? Any plan

9. Secret planned perl feature revealed

10. Perl CD Bookshelf plans

11. using perl to fetch finger .plan information

12. Any plans for perl plug-ins?