NET::SSH, NET::FTP, NET::POP3 (how to detect)
Author Message
 NET::SSH, NET::FTP, NET::POP3 (how to detect)

I want to know how to detect the service/activity/status that has SSH,
FTP, POP3 remotely. It is for monitoring purpose that I want to make
sure they are up instead down.   One major problem I have, I don't want
to use account or authentication in my own program.

Please reply back email back to me too in case because I plan to taking
a week vacation starts Saturday.

Thanks
NT Admin
Wm. Crites

Tue, 27 Jan 2004 07:06:54 GMT
 NET::SSH, NET::FTP, NET::POP3 (how to detect)

Quote:

> I want to know how to detect the service/activity/status that has SSH,
> FTP, POP3 remotely. It is for monitoring purpose that I want to make
> sure they are up instead down.   One major problem I have, I don't want
> to use account or authentication in my own program.

> Please reply back email back to me too in case because I plan to taking
> a week vacation starts Saturday.

Determining whether sshd, ftpd or pop3d are up and running does not even
require those modules (which you show with improper case).  It can be done
with the Socket module (or maybe IO::Socket) by simply opening a port to
the socket and grabbing one line from it.  See perldoc perlipc.  For
example on my box this is what they return:

ssh:
SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_2.9p1

ftp:
220 ProFTPD 1.2.2rc2 Server (powered by SuSE Linux) [compaq.localdomain]

pop3 (I don't do pop3):
Connection refused! (value of $! when it dies opening the socket)

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:37:53 GMT

1. No ouput from Net::SSH:Win32Perl / Net::SSH::Perl

2. No ouput from Net::SSH:Win32Perl / Net::SSH::Perl

3. Net::Telnet and Net::SSH or ssh ?

4. Using Net::SSH & Net::SCP

5. Net::SFTP vs. Net::SSH::Perl

6. Net::FTP und Crypt::SSLeay (Net::SSL)

7. Using Net:CMD method for Net:FTP

8. Net::FTP.pm Net::Cmd.pm question

9. Bug in Net::FTP sub _extract_path (or Net::Cmd sub parse_response)

10. Help for Net::FTP and Net::SMTP

11. reading messages through Net::FTP and/or Net::Cmd

12. Toruble with Net::Netrc and Net::FTP