newbie question
Author Message
 newbie question

Hi,

    I've used perl a little bit and now I'm trying to connect to a MS
Access db. Do I need to have Access running in order to connect from
perl using DBI? The tutorials I've seen don't mention it but Oracle, the
only other thing I've tried with perl, needs to be running. Any good
pointers to getting to Access with perl?

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Mon, 17 May 2004 12:45:16 GMT
 newbie question

Quote:

>     I've used perl a little bit and now I'm trying to connect to a MS
> Access db. Do I need to have Access running in order to connect from
> perl using DBI? The tutorials I've seen don't mention it but Oracle, the
> only other thing I've tried with perl, needs to be running. Any good
> pointers to getting to Access with perl?

Oracle runs as a database server, listening for request via various
netowrk protocols (such as TCP/IP) and programming interfaces such as
ODBC.

Access uses an engine (Jet) to access the database.  This engine is
loaded on demand by the driver / interface of your choice (OLE, ODBC,
MS-Access Software).

So the answer is no, and infact you don't even need Access installed as
long as you have the Jet databse engine on the system and the Access
ODBC driver.

--
  Simon Oliver

Mon, 17 May 2004 14:11:44 GMT

1. Newbie Newbie Question

2. Perl and Apache question. (A newbie question)

3. Question : forms processing in perl - newbie question

4. Newbie question (very stupid question I suppose)

5. Newbie question about SendMail (I think that is what my question is about :)

6. newbie question

7. Newbie question about hashes (and/or arrays)

8. Newbie question: format output

9. newbie question about socket communication

10. dumb newbie question

11. newbie question

12. Newbie Question: File Modification Date!