Getting off the ground (more newbie than newbie)
Author Message
 Getting off the ground (more newbie than newbie)

Is it necessary to be connected to or create a server to test scripts or can
this be done locally w/o server software?  I'm trying to activate scripts
via a web brower, using the client to send data to the scripts.  I can run
basic scripts that don't communicate with the client (I'm using the current
Activatestate release in Win98).

tia

Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:37:27 GMT
 Getting off the ground (more newbie than newbie)

Quote:

> Is it necessary to be connected to or create a server to test scripts or can
> this be done locally w/o server software?

If you are testing scripts that are intended to be run by a web server
then some testing can be done at the command line (redirect STDOUT to
a file then displat the file in a browser) but you really need
a web server to test them fully.

Free web servers are available for all popular operating systems.

This, of course, has very little to do with Perl.

--
     \\   ( )
  .  _\\__[oo

 .  l___\\
  # ll  l\\
 ###LL  LL\\

Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:00:55 GMT
 Getting off the ground (more newbie than newbie)

Quote:

> Is it necessary to be connected to or create a server to test scripts
> or can this be done locally w/o server software?

Because we are in a Perl NG I guess you are talking about Perl scripts.
Perl is an interpreted programming language just like any other and you
don't need any 'server' or 'server software' whatsoever to execute Perl
scripts.

Quote:
> I'm trying to
> activate scripts via a web brower, using the client to send data to
> the scripts.

Now you are talking about CGI scripts, which have nothing to do with Perl
per se. They can be written in any language (although Perl is a common
choice).

Quote:
> I can run basic scripts that don't communicate with the
> client (I'm using the current Activatestate release in Win98).

So your real question is: "How can I test CGI scripts written in Perl
without using a web server?" rather then "Getting off the ground(more newbie
than newbie)".

You may want to check the FAQ "perldoc -q CGI". It contains some hints.
And then of course there is the documentation for the CGI module
("perldoc -q CGI"), which contains quite some advise about e.g. passing
parameters to a CGI script from the command line.

jue

Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:16:00 GMT
 Getting off the ground (more newbie than newbie)

Quote:

>> I can run basic scripts that don't communicate with the
>> client (I'm using the current Activatestate release in Win98).

>So your real question is: "How can I test CGI scripts written in Perl
>without using a web server?" rather then "Getting off the ground(more newbie
>than newbie)".

This may be an interesting alternative to ActivePerl for your application:

http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm

It's a Perl distribution packaged together with an Apache webserver, and
shouldn't require much configuration to do what you want.

Richard.

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:10:10 GMT

1. Help - Can't get first program off the ground

2. newbie trying to close off a pipe

3. newbie Q - testing scripts off-line?!?

4. Can I get help getting off the ground w/GD?

5. Help Getting dbm files to work (newbie Q)

6. newbie question, getting rid of blank spaces

7. Newbie module developer needs help getting started

8. getting user input oddity (for a newbie anyways :)

9. Getting modules to work (newbie)

10. getting permissions (newbie)

11. newbie problem getting perl to execute properly

12. Newbie getting the time.