Perl and Netscape Navigator
Author Message
 Perl and Netscape Navigator

We are developers of web sites, and are using Perl to create a response
form that sends e-mail to an address over the net.  The form asks for
information to be filled in via a form, then sends it via e-mail.  We are
NOT using the Navigator "MAILTO" function in order to be compatible across
more browsers.  Our Perl app, creates a file that contains the correct MIME
header = Content type=Text/Html.  Yet, in Navigator we get a message that
"you are attempting to download a file of the type "application/x-perl"if
you save the file, called "formmail.pl" as a file name "formmail.htm"
Netscape will display it properly.  All this works fine if we use Microsoft
Explorer.  This only occurs in Navigator.  We are getting around this right
now by having the forms we are using sense for Netscape ("Mozilla") and
then send it to another form that uses the "MAILTO" function.
Unfortunately, this means that we must create two forms for all our sites.
We would rather capture the info we are using and have it correctly
displayed as in Explorer.  A sample form that we are working on now is:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

If you can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am surprised that Navigator, which is touted as "more open standard" than
Explorer has this problem.

Bill Bailey
BizNetz

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl and Netscape Navigator

: We are developers of web sites, and are using Perl to create a response
: form that sends e-mail to an address over the net.  The form asks for
: information to be filled in via a form, then sends it via e-mail.  We are
: NOT using the Navigator "MAILTO" function in order to be compatible across

Great scott (who Scott is and why he's great is another story)!  Looks
like *another* CGI and/or webserver question has unfortunately found its
way into comp.lang.perl.misc.

This is definitely not a Perl question; this question regards your
webserver, and how it executes CGI scripts.

The one piece of advice I will offer is that HTML documents have the
I would hope web developers would be aware of this.

--
Nathan V. Patwardhan

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. image via cgi perl on netscape navigator

2. Netscape Navigator 3.x

3. Perl parser for RedHat Source Navigator

4. Perl parser for RedHat Source Navigator

5. PERL and Source Navigator

6. Downloading, Perl, Navigator, and file names

7. Pre-ANNOUNCE of a Perl Documentation Navigator

8. Problem with Netscape Enterprise Server 2.01 and binary post from Browser Netscape 2.0 or higher

9. CGI output displayed as text in Navigator

10. ANNOUNCE: Tutorial # 27: A navigator for foreign keys in MySQL table schema

11. HOW? : Using MacPERL/Navigator/My Local Machine

12. How MS Explorer And Navigator Handle CGI - Web Review