^<<<<<<<<<<< ~~ format question
Author Message
 ^<<<<<<<<<<< ~~ format question

The other day, somebody posted a question about what perl was doing with a
format with a field beginning with a caret ^<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< ~~
with a couple of tildes on the line.

The original problem was that a string with embedded newlines wasn't being
printed in its entirety, but that the displayed text would stop at the first
newline.

I dummied up an example using multiline HERE strings, but couldn't duplicate
the problem.  What I found instead was that the format seemed to be converting
the newlines into spaces.

I've looked this up in the 4.036 and 5.000 manuals, and all I see mentioned is
that the value of $: (those characters on which a line can be split for
wrapping) can be set to something other than the defaults.

Can anybody explain what is actually going on behind the scenes here?  Is the
format, as I suspect, converting newlines to blanks?  Is there any way to
force a line break within such a wrapping multi-line field?

Or is this a case when it is better to just go with the flow and not try to
impose one's ideas?

Sun, 04 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. ^<<<<<<<<<<<~~ with \n

2. How can I make @<<<<<<<<< variable ?

3. Question on Cutting and Paste things in a File <<<<<<<<

4. Using $: and ^<<<<~~~ in formatting

5. How can grep the 8th of Field <<<<<<<<

6. format @<<<

8. 4.036 Bug using $: and ^<<<~~ fields

9. >>>> A Singaporean Girl looking for more penpals!!<<<<<

10. >>>Please add your Perl Script to the Perlcoders Archive of free scripts <<<<

11. Regexp: match '<:a<:c:>b:>', not '<:a<:c:>'

12. FAQ 4.36: Why don't my E<lt>E<lt>HERE documents work?