Perl for Windows - Plz somebody help...
Author Message
 Perl for Windows - Plz somebody help...

Hello there.

I guess many people must ask and want this, so please if anybody can
give me some information about...

I want to install Perl on my computer. I'm currently running Windows
98 and these are my questions - things that I'm really worried about:

1) Wich one is the best webserver to run perl on windows (free, if
possible)?

2) Do I HAVE to get ActiveState? I've heard a lot of criticism about
ActiveState, so I'm really scared. Is there any other kind of Perl for
Windows?

3) I've installed Perl Builder here, wich seems to have a Perl
interpreter. How is that? If it really have a Perl interpreter, how
can I update it - to Perl 5.0.0.6, for an example? If I install this
ActiveState it will conflict with
Perl Builder's interpreter?

Please, any comments, insights and tips will be very appreciated.

Best regards,

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Perl for Windows - Plz somebody help...

Quote:
> Hello there.

> I guess many people must ask and want this, so please if anybody can
> give me some information about...

> I want to install Perl on my computer. I'm currently running Windows
> 98 and these are my questions - things that I'm really worried about:

> 1) Wich one is the best webserver to run perl on windows (free, if
> possible)?

This is not a Perl question.  It is better asked in a webserver newsgroup.

Quote:

> 2) Do I HAVE to get ActiveState? I've heard a lot of criticism about
> ActiveState, so I'm really scared. Is there any other kind of Perl for
> Windows?

No, you don't have to get ActiveState, but if you don't have the unction to
compile Perl yourself (god knows I don't), then ActiveState is the way to
go.

Quote:

> 3) I've installed Perl Builder here, wich seems to have a Perl
> interpreter. How is that? If it really have a Perl interpreter, how
> can I update it - to Perl 5.0.0.6, for an example? If I install this
> ActiveState it will conflict with
> Perl Builder's interpreter?

Sounds like something that would be addressed in the Perl Builder
documentation.

Lauren

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Perl for Windows - Plz somebody help...

Quote:
> Hello there.

> I guess many people must ask and want this, so please if anybody can
> give me some information about...

Then if this was the case why cant you search in Deja news ?

Quote:

> I want to install Perl on my computer. I'm currently running Windows
> 98 and these are my questions - things that I'm really worried about:

> 1) Wich one is the best webserver to run perl on windows (free, if
> possible)?

You will want to ask in the group comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows about
this as this has nothing to do with Perl.

Quote:
> 2) Do I HAVE to get ActiveState? I've heard a lot of criticism about
> ActiveState, so I'm really scared. Is there any other kind of Perl for
> Windows?

And what precisely is this criticism ?  Unless you care to build the perl
yourself Activeperl is the only choice and I have experienced no more problems
with it than with 5.6.0 compiled on Unix ...

Quote:
> 3) I've installed Perl Builder here, wich seems to have a Perl
> interpreter. How is that? If it really have a Perl interpreter, how
> can I update it - to Perl 5.0.0.6, for an example? If I install this
> ActiveState it will conflict with
> Perl Builder's interpreter?

I dont care.

/J\
--
No! No no no no no no! Well, yes.
--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. perl questions-urgent plz help

2. Plz help - Perl Q

3. plz help about using DLL w/ perl

4. plz help me on perl-tk

5. Perl Question : Can somebody please help me out

6. DBM question plz help

7. Plz help: Modifying server-side text files

8. Problems with pattern matching plz help.

9. Newbie matching problem- plz help

10. NET::POP3 Help plz

11. Urgent Help Req. Plz

12. Plz help a newbie add up elements of an array