Setting locale failed.
Author Message
 Setting locale failed.

 I got this message when I tried to use perl.

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "(null)"

Can someone tell me how I can correct it. I've tried FAQ's but I can't
find any reference to it.

Cheers

Duncan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Setting locale failed.

Quote:
>  I got this message when I tried to use perl.

> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

<snip>

Quote:
> Can someone tell me how I can correct it. I've tried FAQ's but I can't
> find any reference to it.

It's in perldiag, which says the following.

    =item perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

    (S) The whole warning message will look something like:

            perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
                    LC_ALL = "En_US",
                    LANG = (unset)

    Exactly what were the failed locale settings varies.  In the above the
    settings were that the LC_ALL was "En_US" and the LANG had no value.
    This error means that Perl detected that you and/or your system
    administrator have set up the so-called variable system but Perl could
    not use those settings.  This was not dead serious, fortunately: there
    is a "default locale" called "C" that Perl can and will use, the
    script will be run.  Before you really fix the problem, however, you
    will get the same error message each time you run Perl.  How to really
    fix the problem can be found in L<perllocale> section B<LOCALE
    PROBLEMS>.

Cheers!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Setting locale failed.

Quote:

>>  I got this message when I tried to use perl.

>> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>> perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
> <snip>

>> Can someone tell me how I can correct it. I've tried FAQ's but I can't
>> find any reference to it.

> It's in perldiag, which says the following.

>     =item perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

It might be noted that on a certain popular Linux distribution attempting
to set the locale to other than en_us will cause this warning whether
the appropriate locale files are there or not ... this is probably a
problem with the locale files .

/J\
--
** This space reserved for venue sponsor for yapc::Europe **
              <http://www.yapc.org/Europe/>

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Settings locale failed

2. Setting locale failed

3. Perl message on Linux: Setting locale failed.

4. perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

5. Setting locale failed

6. Setting locale failed.

7. perl: warning: Setting locale failed

8. warning: setting locale failed (??) (5.004_04)

9. perl: warning: Setting locale failed

10. perl: warning: Setting locale failed. Huh?

11. After RH 7.2 upgrade -- "perl: warning: Setting locale failed"

12. "Setting locale failed" error on 5.6 rpm upgrade