How to stop cmd Windows Pop-up on NT
Author Message
 How to stop cmd Windows Pop-up on NT

Anyone know how to stop the terminal window pop-ups
on NT when using the 'system' command?  It is against our
policy to modify the Perl source so I guess I can create a
module that does an 'exec' without spawning a shell as Perl
does.  But I'm hoping someone else already has a better
solution such as surpressing the window from Perl.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Das

Sat, 16 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to stop cmd Windows Pop-up on NT

You may want to look at the Win32::Process module which includes a
flag for the type of process you want that can be set to
DETACHED_PROCESS. If what you want is a detatched process.

Hope this helps

Nick

Quote:

>Anyone know how to stop the terminal window pop-ups
>on NT when using the 'system' command?  It is against our
>policy to modify the Perl source so I guess I can create a
>module that does an 'exec' without spawning a shell as Perl
>does.  But I'm hoping someone else already has a better
>solution such as surpressing the window from Perl.

>Any help is greatly appreciated.

>Thanks,
>Chris Das

Nick Tonkin, Director
Computers In Our Future
Computadoras En Nuestro Futuro
Santa Brbara, California

Ensuring Equity in Access to Computer
Technology for the Low-Income Community
Remove NOSPAMTHANKS from e-mail to reply

Sun, 17 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to stop cmd Windows Pop-up on NT

Quote:

> Anyone know how to stop the terminal window pop-ups
> on NT when using the 'system' command?  It is against our
> policy to modify the Perl source so I guess I can create a
> module that does an 'exec' without spawning a shell as Perl
> does.  But I'm hoping someone else already has a better
> solution such as surpressing the window from Perl.

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Chris Das

A really simple way of doing this (if you don't mind it popping up for
about 5 seconds) is to run something like HIDEWNDW, passing it the
window title. If you want to, you can run your perl proggy from a .cmd
file:

title The Hidden Perl Proggy
\hidewndw.exe /n /fh "The Hidden Perl Proggy"
perl -w TheHiddenPerlProggy.pl
----
hidewndw is found at (among other places)
 ftp://ftp.winsite.com/pub/pc/win95/desktop/hidewndw.zip
it's freeware.

Cheers, Dave
Learn concepts, not methods - a good mind devises its own methods
Dave Cottle                         Consultant
Computer Services, Room 205         University of Canterbury

Thu, 21 Sep 2000 04:00:00 GMT
 How to stop cmd Windows Pop-up on NT

Quote:

> Anyone know how to stop the terminal window pop-ups
> on NT when using the 'system' command?  It is against our
> policy to modify the Perl source so I guess I can create a
> module that does an 'exec' without spawning a shell as Perl
> does.  But I'm hoping someone else already has a better
> solution such as surpressing the window from Perl.

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Chris Das

A really simple way of doing this (if you don't mind it popping up for
about 5 seconds) is to run something like HIDEWNDW, passing it the
window title. If you want to, you can run your perl proggy from a .cmd
file:

title The Hidden Perl Proggy
\hidewndw.exe /n /fh "The Hidden Perl Proggy"
perl -w TheHiddenPerlProggy.pl
----
hidewndw is found at (among other places)
 ftp://ftp.winsite.com/pub/pc/win95/desktop/hidewndw.zip
it's freeware.

Cheers, Dave
Learn concepts, not methods - a good mind devises its own methods
Dave Cottle                         Consultant
Computer Services, Room 205         University of Canterbury

Thu, 21 Sep 2000 04:00:00 GMT

1. Pop Ups

2. Pop Ups

3. Windows NT system call and cmd line length

4. Dismissed popup leaves application unresponsive to events on Windows NT (or 95)

5. CGI.pm on NT: assigning labels to popup via hash changes popup values

6. Prevent Stop Service from stopping Perl Script on NT

7. Term::ANSIColor in Windows 2000's CMD

8. Term::ANSIColor in Windows 2000's CMD

9. Term::ANSIColor in Windows 2000's CMD

10. popup windows...

11. Pop Up Windows on Several Platforms

12. Popup Windows