Back quotes don't seem to work well in Win32
Author Message
 Back quotes don't seem to work well in Win32

Hello All,

Ok, Ok, before anyone sais anything, I know that Perl is native to UNIX
and that some things just don't ever opperate correctly in Win32.

That said, I have used statements like:

print (`cls`);
print (`dir`);

You know, the simple ones. I have tried them on 5.003 in Win95 and NT
4.0 along with 4.036 ported to DOS. Believe it or not, I get more
consistant results in DOS. The results I get in Win32 are mixed. In NT
the whole back quote idea seems to fall apart and in 95 I get some
commands to work and not others.

I thought for a moment that I would be extra shrood and just wright the
commands to a batch file and execute it. Oh, wait, I still can't use
Perl to write the command to execute the batch. :-)

It's mostly a point of interest to me, but, if any one has any thoughs,
you can re-news or e-mail me.

Rodney

--
     To all:
Please, visit my home page at

Mon, 31 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Back quotes don't seem to work well in Win32

    RB> Hello All, Ok, Ok, before anyone sais anything, I know that
    RB> Perl is native to UNIX and that some things just don't ever
    RB> opperate correctly in Win32.

In general, I have had very good results with Perl and Win32 (NT).

    RB> That said, I have used statements like:

    RB> print (`cls`); print (`dir`);

That's an interesting concept; I never thought of doing such a
thing. However, upon testing the above commands, I do seem to get
appropriate results: namely captured output from the above commands.

Of course, if you do want to actually clear the console window, you
might consider the following:

  system("cls"); print (`dir`);

That said, I'm not really sure why you would want to do this. Reading
the File::Find and glob() documentation will provide hours of
entertainment. No, really.

For other Windows related questions, see:

http://www.endcontsw.com/people/evangelo/Perl_for_Win32_FAQ.html

Hope this helps.

The opinions expressed above are mine, not my employer's.

Tue, 01 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Win32::FileOp don't work with WIN98

2. Win32::FileOp don't work with WIN98

3. Win32::FileOp don't work with WIN98

4. Warning: DBM files and ^C don't seem to mix

5. syscall arguments: Can't seem to get 'em to work

6. Print function doesn't seem to work

7. Q: Net::FTP, Timeout doesn't seem to work

8. Q: Net::FTP, Timeout doesn't seem to work

9. Want better way to find all lines that don't match users in a list

10. Print function doesn't seem to work

11. my ioctl's don't work

12. @INC, doesn't seem to work