How-To search engine on search engines/mlml
Author Message
 How-To search engine on search engines/mlml

Hi all,

I'd like to know the mechanics of search engines of search engines.
How do they do it?
An example of a site is www.auctionwatch.com

Does it go out to auction sites in REALtime?
Or does it spider to these auctions all the time (not real time)?
I would think that they to it in real time, especially for
auctions where items get sold at a timely basis.

How do they do searches? do they depend on the 'victim' auction
site's page layouts? If so, what happens if the layout changes
everyday,... then the search will break, right?

Also, I would think that they have many machines doing your searches
at the same time.

Where can I get more info on this.
Practical and theoretical methods are what I'm looking for.
I am posting here because I dont know where to inpoint my post.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike

--
    /-----------------------------------------------/ \--\--\  \-- \-- \--
   /             www.ncf.carleton.ca/~ae299        /---\  \  \ \\   \   \

 /-----------------------------------------------/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 How-To search engine on search engines/mlml

MCMXCIII in <URL::">
..
.. Hi all,
..
.. I'd like to know the mechanics of search engines of search engines.

Search engines of search engines?

.. How do they do it?

What makes you think this group is the right place to ask? This group
is about Perl, not search engines. You might want to ask in some www
group, or perhaps a programming group.

.. An example of a site is www.auctionwatch.com
..
.. Does it go out to auction sites in REALtime?

Did you consider asking the people of auctionwatch.com?

.. Or does it spider to these auctions all the time (not real time)?

Did you consider asking the people of auctionwatch.com?

.. I would think that they to it in real time, especially for
.. auctions where items get sold at a timely basis.

Did you consider asking the people of auctionwatch.com?

.. How do they do searches?

Did you consider asking the people of auctionwatch.com?

..                          do they depend on the 'victim' auction
.. site's page layouts?

Did you consider asking the people of auctionwatch.com?

..                      If so, what happens if the layout changes
.. everyday,... then the search will break, right?

Did you consider asking the people of auctionwatch.com?

.. Also, I would think that they have many machines doing your searches
.. at the same time.

Did you consider asking the people of auctionwatch.com?

.. Where can I get more info on this.

Not here.

.. Practical and theoretical methods are what I'm looking for.
.. I am posting here because I dont know where to inpoint my post.

Then I suggest finding out which newsgroups are available on your
newsserver. Possibly, you might have to switch service.

Abigail
--
perl -MLWP::UserAgent -MHTML::TreeBuilder -MHTML::FormatText -wle'print +(
HTML::FormatText -> new -> format (HTML::TreeBuilder -> new -> parse (

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: WWW::Search 1.009 available (web-search-engine API for Perl)

2. Searching Multible Search Engines Script

3. Multi search engine search on NT

4. Searching a search-engine script

5. ANNOUNCE: WWW::Search 1.007 available (web-search-engine API for Perl)

6. ANNOUNCE: WWW::Search 1.005 available (web-search-engine API for Perl)

7. ANNOUNCE: WWW::Search, a Perl API for web search engines

8. Searching Multible Search Engines Script

9. Remote Search Engine Results

10. Programmatically Controlling Remote Search Engines and Consolidating Results

11. Search Engine for Windows Shares

12. Retrieving Links from a Search Engine's Results Page