Redirection but no 'Back'
Author Message
 Redirection but no 'Back'

I am using the perl script redir.pl which I understand to be a pretty
common script in use.  I am experiencing a problem that I cannot figure
out.  The script executes fine and sends the user to another site.  If
the user clicks his/her 'back' button, they are not sent back to the
page with the script, they remain at the site to which they were
redirected.

Is this the way the script was made to work?  If not, have I configured
it incorrectly?
Could it be a problem with the page at the other site?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Fri, 30 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Redirection but no 'Back'

Quote:

> I am using the perl script redir.pl which I understand to be a pretty
> common script in use.  I am experiencing a problem that I cannot figure
> out.  The script executes fine and sends the user to another site.  If
> the user clicks his/her 'back' button, they are not sent back to the
> page with the script, they remain at the site to which they were
> redirected.
> Is this the way the script was made to work?  If not, have I configured
> it incorrectly?
> Could it be a problem with the page at the other site?

1. People will tell you this has nothing to do with Perl, and imply
that you are a bad person for posting about it in comp.lang.perl.misc.
They are right (it does have nothing to do with Perl), but you could
not have been expected to know that (for certain values of 'expected'
that I happen to use; I know others will disagree on this point), so
they are also wrong (you are not a bad person for posting about it
here). In any event, if you can refrain from posting that particular
question in this particular newsgroup in the future, it will make the
tidy-newsgroup types a {*filter*}cy bit less unhappy than they otherwise
would be. A better place would probably be
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi.

2. The answer you're looking for is probably this: All a redirection
script does is print out a "Location: http://www.*-*-*.com/ \n\n"
header, which, when sent back to your browser, causes your browser to
request the page at http://www.*-*-*.com/ . Backing up from that page
means that the browser will run the redirection script again, and get
the same Location: header sent back to it, and thus go right back to
the page that the redirection points to (i.e., the page you were on
when you hit the "Back" button). Nothing's broken; that's just how the
Web works (or doesn't, in this particular case).

--
John Callender

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~jbc/

Fri, 30 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Redirection but no 'Back'

<URL::">
^^ I am using the perl script redir.pl which I understand to be a pretty
^^ common script in use.  I am experiencing a problem that I cannot figure
^^ out.  The script executes fine and sends the user to another site.  If
^^ the user clicks his/her 'back' button, they are not sent back to the
^^ page with the script, they remain at the site to which they were
^^ redirected.

Not with my browser. Back is back.

^^ Is this the way the script was made to work?  If not, have I configured
^^ it incorrectly?
^^ Could it be a problem with the page at the other site?

This is not a Perl issue. Ask elsewhere.

Abigail
--
perl -we 'print split /(?=(.*))/s => "Just another Perl Hacker\n";'

Fri, 30 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. using 'system' and i/o redirection

2. system( 'dialog', ...) and redirection

3. How to bind 'Back Space' event

4. How to create a 'BACK'-Button

5. Detecting IO redirection while ssh'd on remote machine

6. Redirection doesn't work through telnet?

7. LWP: Redirection doesn't work...

8. Back to the bad ()'s question

9. Can't get size value back when using $ftp->size

10. Mysql.pm doesn't get good $dbh back from DBI _new_handle, apparently

11. Back quotes don't seem to work well in Win32

12. From the clp.announce moderator: I'm back