seeking two db search-related modules.
Author Message
 seeking two db search-related modules.

Quote:
> Hello:

> I was wondering if anyone was aware of any available packages in Perl that
> can do the following.

> The first one will parse a query string that is used as keywords to search
> an SQL db.  I need it to create all possible instances of the query such
> that the search is robust.  I.e. if the database was about music, a search
> for "theBEATLES" or "beatle" or "The beatles" would hit records about The
> Beatles.  So it needs to return all possible cobos of words so I can plug
> it into my SQL query.

Most databases implement 'LIKE' or 'MATCHES' and MySQL has a REGEX too -
you probably want to take this up with the appropriate group for your
database.

Quote:
> The second one is more CGI related, so please ignore if you feel the
> need.  I see all of these nifty results pages from searches on the web
> that have indexed results.  I.e. they display 10 results and then have
> links "1, 2, 3, next".  Is there a quic package out there that can do this
> type of indexing?  I was thinking of a few hacks - i.e. writing the whole
> search output to a temp file and then taking out chunks of it as needed.

I posted a short example of doing this in the last week or so - you can
find this via Deja news.  Some databases might support a way of returning
a range of rows.

Quote:
> --
> PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a
> SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are
> NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible
> for their content. You can SELF-APPROVE your first posting
> by writing the word 'passme' on a line by itself.

Huh ? Shome mishtake shurely ?

/J\
--
Jonathan Stowe
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 seeking two db search-related modules.

Quote:

> Hello:

> I was wondering if anyone was aware of any available packages in Perl that
> can do the following.

> The first one will parse a query string that is used as keywords to search
> an SQL db.  I need it to create all possible instances of the query such
> that the search is robust.  I.e. if the database was about music, a search
> for "theBEATLES" or "beatle" or "The beatles" would hit records about The
> Beatles.  So it needs to return all possible cobos of words so I can plug
> it into my SQL query.

your description is still a bit fuzzy... what's the input look like? how's
it get there?

Quote:
> The second one is more CGI related, so please ignore if you feel the
> need.  I see all of these nifty results pages from searches on the web
> that have indexed results.  I.e. they display 10 results and then have
> links "1, 2, 3, next".  Is there a quic package out there that can do this
> type of indexing?  I was thinking of a few hacks - i.e. writing the whole
> search output to a temp file and then taking out chunks of it as needed.

you might try HTML::Pager

hth-
--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
[...]

Thanks for your help.

--
PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a
SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are
NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible
for their content. You can SELF-APPROVE your first posting
by writing the word 'passme' on a line by itself.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Searching for a name for a Flash-related module

2. Searching for two perl modules: DBD::Oracle and DBD::DB2

3. DB recommendations sought

4. OraPerl Perl scipt to track db time sought!

5. Perl DB recommendations sought

6. Seeking advice on migrating modules into standard module format

7. Matching two patterns in a DB. (general expressions...)

8. Seeking Search Engine Code

9. XML related modules

10. Request for help in using GD::Graph module (y label and undef related)

11. TFIDF related module?

12. problem with installing LWP and related lib modules with LWP