Perl, NT, and relational databases
Author Message
 Perl, NT, and relational databases

Hi

I'm currently running a bunch of CGI scripts on NT.  The CGI scripts are
written in Visual Basic and are used primarily to store and retrieve
information to and from an Access database.   Upon deciding to learn to
write CGI scripts with Perl (so that I wasn't tied to NT with my VB), I
thought I might start my Perl education by rewriting some of my VB CGI in
Perl.  I took my first look at some Perl literature today ("Learning Perl"
I think it was called, written by the Perl author) and Perl looks very easy
to learn and use; particularly with the help of CGI.pm.  The one thing I
couldn't find info on however was how to interact with relational databases
like Access.

My question: Can Perl be used on NT to store data to and retrieve data from
an Access database with the use of SQL queries (or any other method I
guess)?

Thanks
Rob

PS. Off-topic but...  are there any relational database products that can
be used on UNIX?

Fri, 10 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl, NT, and relational databases

Quote:

> Hi

> I'm currently running a bunch of CGI scripts on NT.  The CGI scripts are
> written in Visual Basic and are used primarily to store and retrieve
> information to and from an Access database.   Upon deciding to learn to
> write CGI scripts with Perl (so that I wasn't tied to NT with my VB), I
> thought I might start my Perl education by rewriting some of my VB CGI in
> Perl.  I took my first look at some Perl literature today ("Learning Perl"
> I think it was called, written by the Perl author) and Perl looks very easy
> to learn and use; particularly with the help of CGI.pm.  The one thing I
> couldn't find info on however was how to interact with relational databases
> like Access.

> My question: Can Perl be used on NT to store data to and retrieve data from
> an Access database with the use of SQL queries (or any other method I
> guess)?

check out www.perl.com

Quote:

> Thanks
> Rob

> PS. Off-topic but...  are there any relational database products that can
> be used on UNIX?

How about Oracle, Ingres, Sybase and Informix for starters?

Fri, 10 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl, NT, and relational databases

Quote:
> Can Perl be used on NT to store data to and retrieve data from
> an Access database with the use of SQL queries (or any other method I
> guess)?

Yes, if you are using perl5 for win32 you can download the perl module
Win32::ODBC  at:

http://www.roth.net/odbc/odbcfaq.htm

its good stuff.

Bob

Fri, 10 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl, NT, and relational databases

Quote:
> Can Perl be used on NT to store data to and retrieve data from
> an Access database with the use of SQL queries (or any other method I
> guess)?

Yes, if you are using perl5 for win32 you can download the perl module
Win32::ODBC  at:

http://www.roth.net/odbc/odbcfaq.htm

its good stuff.

Bob

Fri, 10 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Relational database for Windows/Windows 95/NT

2. Looking for relational database in perl

3. perl application for bulk loading relational databases

4. RDB, a Relational Database Management System implemented in PERL

5. Perl OO persistence with relational database

6. perl and Relational Databases

7. www and relational databases

8. Update, RDB, a Relational Database Manager

9. On FTP archive: RDB (Relational Database Management)

10. HTMLView 0.9 - make web interfaces to relational SQL databases

11. need relational database

12. Creating a key field for writing relational databases