FAQ 1.14 What is a JAPH?
Author Message
 FAQ 1.14 What is a JAPH?

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq1.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://www.*-*-*.com/ .

1.14: What is a JAPH?

    (contributed by brian d foy)

    JAPH stands for "Just another Perl hacker,", which Randal Schwartz used
    to sign email and usenet messages starting in the late 1980s. He
    previously used the phrase with many subjects ("Just another x
    hacker,"), so to distinguish his JAPH, he started to write them as Perl
    programs:

            print "Just another Perl hacker,";

    Other people picked up on this and started to write clever or obfuscated
    programs to produce the same output, spinning things quickly out of
    control while still providing hours of amu{*filter*}t for their creators and
    readers.

    CPAN has several JAPH programs at http://www.*-*-*.com/

Working code is greatly appreciated.

perlfaq.pod.

Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:00:02 GMT
 FAQ 1.14 What is a JAPH?

PerlFAQ> This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq1.pod, which
PerlFAQ> comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to
PerlFAQ> reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community
PerlFAQ> to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete
PerlFAQ> perlfaq is at http://www.*-*-*.com/ .

PerlFAQ> --------------------------------------------------------------------

PerlFAQ> 1.14: What is a JAPH?

PerlFAQ>     (contributed by brian d foy)

PerlFAQ>     JAPH stands for "Just another Perl hacker,", which Randal Schwartz used
PerlFAQ>     to sign email and usenet messages starting in the late 1980s. He
PerlFAQ>     previously used the phrase with many subjects ("Just another x
PerlFAQ>     hacker,"), so to distinguish his JAPH, he started to write them as Perl
PerlFAQ>     programs:

PerlFAQ>             print "Just another Perl hacker,";

PerlFAQ>     Other people picked up on this and started to write clever or obfuscated
PerlFAQ>     programs to produce the same output, spinning things quickly out of
PerlFAQ>     control while still providing hours of amu{*filter*}t for their creators and
PerlFAQ>     readers.

Hmm.  This makes it sound like *I* never obfuscated mine.  In fact, I
obfuscated mine for months (years?) before *anyone* else started calling
themselves a JAPH and added obfu-JAPHs to their postings.

I also recall the obfuscated Perl contest in the Perl Journal as
*preceding* ("inciting"? :) anyone else using obfu-JAPHs as well.

I think the first non-Randal JAPH was in fact, Japhy.  What ever
happened to him?

See http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 08 Mar 2013 15:47:14 GMT
 FAQ 1.14 What is a JAPH?

Quote:

>I think the first non-Randal JAPH was in fact, Japhy.  What ever
>happened to him?

Since a week or so he's back on Perlmonks. I think PHP was what happened
to him.

--
        Bart.

Sun, 10 Mar 2013 07:44:19 GMT
 FAQ 1.14 What is a JAPH?

Quote:

> >I think the first non-Randal JAPH was in fact, Japhy.  What ever
> >happened to him?

> Since a week or so he's back on Perlmonks. I think PHP was what happened
> to him.

Eww. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Ben

(SCNR)

Sun, 10 Mar 2013 08:13:15 GMT
 FAQ 1.14 What is a JAPH?

Quote:

> PerlFAQ> 1.14: What is a JAPH?

> Hmm.  This makes it sound like *I* never obfuscated mine.

So, how do you want me to change it? What would accurately reflect
reality?

Tue, 12 Mar 2013 02:25:19 GMT

1. FAQ 1.14 What is a JAPH?

2. FAQ 1.14 What is a JAPH?

3. FAQ 1.14 What is a JAPH?

4. FAQ 1.14 What is a JAPH?

5. FAQ 1.14 What is a JAPH?

6. FAQ 1.14 What is a JAPH?

7. [Fwd: Re: GD 1.14 install problems]

8. GD 1.14 install problems

9. Source: newgetopt.pl version 1.14

10. Problem with IO 1.14

11. ANNOUNCE: Attribute::Default 1.14

12. DBI 1.14 compile errors on AIX 4.3.3 with perl5.005_03