Problems with MSIE in combination with MAC not showing Perl generated HTML
Author Message
 Problems with MSIE in combination with MAC not showing Perl generated HTML

Dear experts,

On a WinNT machine I'm running a webserver which runs a very simple script:

print "Content-type text/html\nPragma: no-cache\n\n";

print "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN\"
\" http://www.*-*-*.com/ \">\n";

print "<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Testing forms</TITLE>\n";
print "</HEAD><BODY>\n";
print "Blablabla\n";

print "</BODY></HTML>\n";

This script when run produces a fine output on every browsers on every
operating system, except MSIE for the MAC, be it OSX or the previous
version. You can run this script at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/
normally should work.

We are totally in the dark why it doesn't show any output on the MAC. After
typing in the address in the location bar, the cursors starts turning for a
second or two and nothing happens..... We've tried everything up to now.
Clearing cache, renaming files, shutting down and restarting MSIE, but to no
avail.

Anybody anything?

Thanks for your help,

Jan

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:24:20 GMT
 Problems with MSIE in combination with MAC not showing Perl generated HTML

Quote:

> This script when run produces a fine output on every browsers on every
> operating system, except MSIE for the MAC, be it OSX or the previous
> version. You can run this script at:
> http://80.60.28.57/top1000/secure/cgi-bin/formtest.pl to see that it
> normally should work.

> We are totally in the dark why it doesn't show any output on the MAC. After
> typing in the address in the location bar, the cursors starts turning for a
> second or two and nothing happens..... We've tried everything up to now.
> Clearing cache, renaming files, shutting down and restarting MSIE, but to no
> avail.

> Anybody anything?

When I first tried to access it with Konqueror in Linux, its gears kept
spinning and nothing showed.  Then I used wget and it appeared instantly.
Then I tried Konqueror again and it worked.

Maybe it is actually routing problems, busy server, or denial of service
(DoS) attacks (the usual Windows worms).  Try a traceroute from the box
that cannot access it and see what that shows, for example:

15  nl-asd-pmg-fsip-cp10.wxs.nl (195.121.255.226)  137 ms  141 ms  137 ms
16  195.190.245.69 (195.190.245.69)  137 ms  137 ms  135 ms
17  * * *
18  ip503c1c39.speed.planet.nl (80.60.28.57)  163 ms  162 ms  159 ms

Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:57:34 GMT
 Problems with MSIE in combination with MAC not showing Perl generated HTML

Quote:

> print "Content-type text/html\nPragma: no-cache\n\n";

> http://80.60.28.57/top1000/secure/cgi-bin/formtest.pl to see that it
> normally should work.

It should not work. Your headers are not within the HTTP specification.
The output of your script is bad and no browser is bound to render it.
IE 5.1 on MacOS does the right thing and fails to show anything.

This is why so many people round here say:

   *** use CGI; ***

You made a mistake that you wouldn't have made if you'd used CGI.pm.
Think of the time you'd have saved not having to debug this problem.
Asnwer at the bottom of the message.

Quote:
> We are totally in the dark why it doesn't show any output on the MAC. After

It's usually written Mac though, if you mean an Apple Macintosh PC.

__STUFF__
dev/area/tmp/perl-5.8.0 > HEAD
http://80.60.28.57/top1000/secure/cgi-bin/formtest.pl

200 OK
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 01:22:32 GMT
Pragma: no-cache
Via: 1.1 cache-har (NetCache NetApp/5.1R2D14)
Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
Client-Bad-Header-Line: Content-type text/html
Client-Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 01:23:15 GMT
Client-Peer: 80.60.28.57:80

See it now? If you don't then...

Remove the tea to reply

Wed, 30 Mar 2005 02:29:28 GMT
 Problems with MSIE in combination with MAC not showing Perl generated HTML

Quote:

> > print "Content-type text/html\nPragma: no-cache\n\n";

> > http://80.60.28.57/top1000/secure/cgi-bin/formtest.pl to see that it
> > normally should work.

> It should not work. Your headers are not within the HTTP specification.
> The output of your script is bad and no browser is bound to render it.
> IE 5.1 on MacOS does the right thing and fails to show anything.

> This is why so many people round here say:

>    *** use CGI; ***

> You made a mistake that you wouldn't have made if you'd used CGI.pm.
> Think of the time you'd have saved not having to debug this problem.
> Asnwer at the bottom of the message.

> > We are totally in the dark why it doesn't show any output on the MAC.
After

> It's usually written Mac though, if you mean an Apple Macintosh PC.

> __STUFF__
> dev/area/tmp/perl-5.8.0 > HEAD
> http://80.60.28.57/top1000/secure/cgi-bin/formtest.pl

> 200 OK
> Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 01:22:32 GMT
> Pragma: no-cache
> Via: 1.1 cache-har (NetCache NetApp/5.1R2D14)
> Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
> Client-Bad-Header-Line: Content-type text/html
> Client-Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 01:23:15 GMT
> Client-Peer: 80.60.28.57:80

> See it now? If you don't then...

Took me a while to see it.... Really. Finally saw it because of your
redirection to the CGI module. Thanks a lot for pointing me at the missing
colon...

Cheers,

Jan

Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:39:39 GMT
 Problems with MSIE in combination with MAC not showing Perl generated HTML
On Oct 12, Jan inscribed on the eternal scroll:

[excessive quotage sniporama]

Quote:
> Took me a while to see it....

Me too, I must admit.  Because I was reading something there which I
knew had to be there, and overlooking the fact that it really wasn't
there.

Quote:
> Finally saw it because of your
> redirection to the CGI module. Thanks a lot for pointing me at the missing
> colon...

Are you sure you've got the right point out of this exchange?

Merely inserting the missing colon may bring relief from the immediate
symptoms, but who knows what other anomalies lurk in waiting?

Your hand-knitted code _looks_ OK and does (I think) now conform to
the published CGI specification.  But you're using a server whose
reputation for conforming to that same specification is less than
ideal.  At various times it's been necessary for CGI.pm to apply
fixups to get MS's web servers to behave as required.  You could get
that sort of fix for free if you would use CGI.pm (and keep it
reasonably up to date).

Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:07:02 GMT
 Problems with MSIE in combination with MAC not showing Perl generated HTML

Quote:

> > Client-Bad-Header-Line: Content-type text/html

> Took me a while to see it.... Really. Finally saw it because of your
> redirection to the CGI module. Thanks a lot for pointing me at the missing
> colon...

No problem. It's not as if I saw it straight away either - had to try a
few things before I spotted that :-)

Remove the tea to reply

Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:18:54 GMT
 Problems with MSIE in combination with MAC not showing Perl generated HTML

Quote:

>Dear experts,

>On a WinNT machine I'm running a webserver which runs a very simple script:

>print "Content-type text/html\nPragma: no-cache\n\n";

Should't the two newlines follow the "Content-type", rather than the
"Pragma"?

-------------------------------
Dan Mahoney

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:21:28 GMT
 Problems with MSIE in combination with MAC not showing Perl generated HTML

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 01:00:00 GMT
 Problems with MSIE in combination with MAC not showing Perl generated HTML
On Oct 17, Dan Mahoney inscribed on the eternal scroll:

Quote:
> >print "Content-type text/html\nPragma: no-cache\n\n";

> Should't the two newlines follow the "Content-type", rather than the
> "Pragma"?

Wouldn't it be useful to find out for yourself, before offering
answers on Usenet?  It's not as if there's a world famine of CGI
knowledge, quite apart from the fact that an open specification for
the CGI can be consulted free of charge.

If you didn't spot that the correct solution to the problem was posted
5 days ago, and at least two subsequent postings commented on that
correct solution, there's something desperately wrong with your news
feed too.

[x-posted and f'up suggested, if the damned ciwac automod bot doesn't
go and strip the f'up again]

--
PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a
SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are

HOW TO POST to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi:
http://www.thinkspot.net/ciwac/howtopost.html

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:38:24 GMT

1. those who wrote combinations-generating code...

2. How can I generate unique number combinations?

3. Generating all combinations from an array

4. (newbie) Problem generating .html files from perl-script

5. perl generated html response problem

6. Problem with Perl and Generating Dynamic HTML

7. LabEntry problem - label not showing in 5.5.3

8. how to insert an HTML page into another perl generated HTML page

9. MSIE Does Not Undestand "IMGSIZE"

10. MSIE html form fields

11. Problem with generate the return html for browser client

12. Perl script: given database query, show html result table