array for network simulator
Author Message
 array for network simulator

  GJ> I think you should pick up Mastering Algorithms with Perl -- just out

good job. jeopardy quoting 55 lines of a post and a one line
answer. this is why you get flamed here.

<snip of full quote>

learn how to configure your newsreader (it's redmondware so who knows if
it can be used intelligently) or get a better one.

this is part of netiquette and if you keep breaking it, you will not be
happy in this group.

go program in php like you threatened. try using it off the web.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  -----------------  SYStems ARCHitecture and Software Engineering

Have Perl, Will Travel  -----------------------------   http://www.*-*-*.com/
The Best Search Engine on the Net -------------   http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 array for network simulator
Here's an interesting (to me) problem. I'd enjoy your thoughts not only on
how to solve it, but also how arrays should be implemented to make it
happen. I'm trying to learn how to apply 2d and maybe 3d arrays to this.
This is for recreation, and not some homework assignment :)

I'm looking to use perl to simulate, extremely simply, the load on networks
of varying sizes and architectures. To begin with a simple situation..
consider an array of routers assembled in 2d in a 10x10 grid. Each is
connected to each other to form a football-pool looking grid forming 81
'squares'.

Ideally, each router and each interconnecting 'lan' between them should
have their/its own characteristics which can be calculated based on
whatever is introduced into the scenario. For now, each node has as few as
2 and as many as 4 neighbors.

What approaches could I use to not only represent the routers and the
connecting networks between them, but also to have an empty set of
characteristics to update based on whatever formulas, or changes in design?

Obviously, I have to define each neighbor's relationship to each other by
assignment, as well as which network is connecting the 2.

The end result should be a small simulator that would permit someone to
describe the network, as well as the interconnecting bits. There would be
no limit on the number of networks connected to each node, or their
possible 'speeds'. Packet traffic could then be 'added' by siimply defining
a source and destination 'node' and the simulator should simply load up the
path it took (based on future formulae), but thats a bit ahead for now..

So, should a hash be created for each node? Optimally a BW assignment for
each leg should be possible, as well as characteristics at the time such as
load. I'm not looking for the final product, just thoughts on which way the
first step might go, knowing the end result.

Thanks!

Pat
:)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 array for network simulator
I think you should pick up Mastering Algorithms with Perl -- just out

Quote:
> Here's an interesting (to me) problem. I'd enjoy your thoughts not only on
> how to solve it, but also how arrays should be implemented to make it
> happen. I'm trying to learn how to apply 2d and maybe 3d arrays to this.
> This is for recreation, and not some homework assignment :)

> I'm looking to use perl to simulate, extremely simply, the load on
networks
> of varying sizes and architectures. To begin with a simple situation..
> consider an array of routers assembled in 2d in a 10x10 grid. Each is
> connected to each other to form a football-pool looking grid forming 81
> 'squares'.

> Ideally, each router and each interconnecting 'lan' between them should
> have their/its own characteristics which can be calculated based on
> whatever is introduced into the scenario. For now, each node has as few as
> 2 and as many as 4 neighbors.

> What approaches could I use to not only represent the routers and the
> connecting networks between them, but also to have an empty set of
> characteristics to update based on whatever formulas, or changes in
design?

> Obviously, I have to define each neighbor's relationship to each other by
> assignment, as well as which network is connecting the 2.

> The end result should be a small simulator that would permit someone to
> describe the network, as well as the interconnecting bits. There would be
> no limit on the number of networks connected to each node, or their
> possible 'speeds'. Packet traffic could then be 'added' by siimply
defining
> a source and destination 'node' and the simulator should simply load up
the
> path it took (based on future formulae), but thats a bit ahead for now..

> So, should a hash be created for each node? Optimally a BW assignment for
> each leg should be possible, as well as characteristics at the time such
as
> load. I'm not looking for the final product, just thoughts on which way
the
> first step might go, knowing the end result.

> Thanks!

> Pat
> :)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 array for network simulator

Quote:

> What approaches could I use to not only represent the routers and the
> connecting networks between them ....
> So, should a hash be created for each node? Optimally a BW assignment for
> each leg should be possible,...

Read chapter (8).
Mastering Algorithms With Perl
 ---  by Jon Orwant
before you start on anything like this.
--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. ATM network simulator written in PERL

2. ANNOUNCE: Gann-0.00 neural network simulator perl module

3. stock market simulator

4. Stock market simulator

5. namespace for network discovery modules [was Re: Network Discovery]

6. URGENT: Hash in Hash, Array in Array, Array in Hash, Hash in Array

7. array of arrays of arrays

8. Separating array into alphabetical array of arrays

9. Want to determine the subnet networks from a network:subnet combo.

10. Networking: STDOUT => network => STDIN

11. Creating Network Directories?

12. newscan 1.66 - a Perl Network News Article scanner (requires NNTP)