Perl Conference 3.0 in Monterey, California, Aug. 21-24
Author Message
 Perl Conference 3.0 in Monterey, California, Aug. 21-24

Hi, I'm from Canada and I'm thinking of going to the Perl Conference 3.0 in
Monterey, California between August 21-24.  I'm a Perl enthusiast, not an
expert, but that's ok and that's what I like about Perl ... you don't have
to know everything to enjoy programming in it and to accomplish much and
still be lazy :) ... I like its rebellious but accepting attitude!  Anyway,
Some friends and I are planning a three-week vacation on the West Coast
which may include the Conference on our itinerary.  This year, Linux and the
Open Source community will be there too.

Have you attended past Perl Conferences and what do you think of it?  How
much does it cost and do you think it's worth your money and time?  What
kind of folks do you find there?  Did you learn much?

If you live in Monterey, California, where is the cheapest place (cheap
but decent!) for me to stay?   If you are a Canadian like me and you are
planning to go, let me know so maybe we can meet or hang out at the
Conference.

I'm interested to hear your personal experiences on Perl Conferences.  And
if you know of any other Perl, Linux, Internet/Web or XML conferences In
California, Oregon or Washington State, please do let me know.

For more information on Perl Conference 3.0, you can go this site :

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thanks!

Sun, 09 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl Conference 3.0 in Monterey, California, Aug. 21-24

Quote:

> Have you attended past Perl Conferences and what do you think of it?  How
> much does it cost and do you think it's worth your money and time?  What
> kind of folks do you find there?  Did you learn much?

I attended the first two, and really enjoyed them. I think I did get a
lot of useful information out of them as well.

In retrospect, most of what I've learned at the conferences was
information that was already available to me in the Perl documentation,
or in the O'Reilly books I've purchased, but for whatever reason I
never actually got around to learning it until I was exposed to it at
the conference. I think a part of that is a selection effect: There's a
whole universe of things I don't know about Perl, but at the
conferences I can glom onto an expert (whom I can evaluate based on all
those subtle cues you don't get in other contexts, like printed
documentation: how he/she talks/walks/acts/jokes/smells), and figure
out that the specific subset of all those things I don't know that
*this* expert is talking about *right now* is the stuff I really need
to learn next.

And of course this works in the other direction, too: much of the
documentation (the good stuff, anyway) is written either a lot or a
little over my not-quite-newbie head. (Gandalf paraphrase: "A habit of
the old, to pick the wisest person present to talk to. The long-winded
explanations required by the young are so tiring.") At the conference,
though, if I'm part of an audience that the speaker recognizes
correctly to be at the preschool primer level, the stuff presented will
be focused more narrowly on my needs.

This is how I justify my attendance at the conferences to my boss, but
that's not the part that I feel was really the most worthwhile. For me,
the most worthwhile part of it all is just the tremendous fun of
rubbing shoulders with all those other Perlfolk, including seeing the
big stars up close and personal.

I'm kind of a Perl groupie, I guess. It's kind of embarrassing, but
there it is.

Would I be paying to go to these conferences if the money was coming
out of my own pocket? Probably not. I'm sure happy that I have the
chance to go, though.

--
John Callender

http://www.west.net/~jbc/

Sun, 09 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl Conference 3.0 in Monterey, California, Aug. 21-24

Quote:

> > Have you attended past Perl Conferences and what do you think of it?  How
> > much does it cost and do you think it's worth your money and time?  What
> > kind of folks do you find there?  Did you learn much?

> I attended the first two, and really enjoyed them. I think I did get a
> lot of useful information out of them as well.

the biggest benefit of conferences is meeting people ;)

--
brian d foy
CGI Meta FAQ <URL:http://www.smithrenaud.com/public/CGI_MetaFAQ.html>

Mon, 10 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANN: Phila Area Perl Training, 17-21 Aug

2. perl 3.0 patch #24

3. perl 3.0 patch #21

4. ANNOUNCE: Tutorial # 24 (26-Aug-2000). perl-tut-24-books.zip

5. 12/Aug/95 ---> Sat Aug 21 1995 ????

6. ANNOUNCE: Tutorial # 25 (26-Aug-2000). perl-tut-24-wine.zip

7. FAQ Q:1.24 Perl & Wish

8. perl 4.0 patch #24

9. PERL Master Classes, NJ, March 23&24, with Tom Christiansen

10. newbie question, can a perl program run 24/7

11. install libwww-perl-5.21

12. Perl tutorials at U Penn on Monday April 14 and April 21