Devoo.com : source code search engine 
Author Message
 Devoo.com : source code search engine

Thanks to its increasing popularity, DevCorner becomes DevOo.com.

Free source code search engine for Java, C/C++, Javascript and Perl.
Featuring open forums for developers.
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Open source software authors,
       please submit your website now !
Webmasters,
       we are looking for promotion partners !

Thanks for visiting.

Alex
Software Engineer



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Devoo.com : source code search engine

Quote:
> Thanks to its increasing popularity, DevCorner becomes DevOo.com.

Popularity ?  And I just thought you were a spamming scumbag - there is
no quality control here:  you appear to be advertising programs that have
well known and documented problems.

/J\
--

<http://www.gellyfish.com>
Hastings: <URL:http://dmoz.org/Regional/UK/England/East_Sussex/Hastings>



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Devoo.com : source code search engine
Hi,

I do not approve your message. Devoo.com is a simple source code repository for
developers. This was not spam. My message was posted "manually", with my
identity on it. I don't know what program or documentation you are talking
about. I was just trying to give some info.

In this case, YOU spammed the News with your Hastings and Jellyfish.com links,
by mistake, I hope. :-)

Quote:


> > Thanks to its increasing popularity, DevCorner becomes DevOo.com.

> Popularity ?  And I just thought you were a spamming scumbag - there is
> no quality control here:  you appear to be advertising programs that have
> well known and documented problems.

> /J\
> --

> <http://www.gellyfish.com>
> Hastings: <URL:http://dmoz.org/Regional/UK/England/East_Sussex/Hastings>

___________________________________________

Alexandre NARESSI     -   Software Engineer
___________________________________________

TMR Networks / European Project
___________________________________________



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Devoo.com : source code search engine

In a stealth Cc'd message which is bad,bad,bad and seeing as I had replied
in a conciliatory way in private I think I will take another line here.

Quote:


>> > Thanks to its increasing popularity, DevCorner becomes DevOo.com.

>> Popularity ?  And I just thought you were a spamming scumbag - there is
>> no quality control here:  you appear to be advertising programs that have
>> well known and documented problems.

> I do not approve your message.

Well I'm sorry about that but I didnt approve yours either.

Quote:
>                              Devoo.com is a simple source code repository for
> developers. This was not spam. My message was posted "manually", with my
> identity on it.

Except you cross posted the message to variety of probably uninterested
groups and you posted more than once - I'm sorry guv but I reckon thats
spam.

Quote:
>                 I don't know what program or documentation you are talking
> about. I was just trying to give some info.

I am talking about the collective wisdom of Usenet and sundry other internet
resources that take an interest in software.  I apologize to those reading
this in the groups other than comp.lang.perl.misc but the vast majority
of the Perl code that is listed on your site is widely considered to be {*filter*}
- as soon as the first item on the Perl list is something from Matt Wright
then I know something is amiss : it is a simple matter for someone to
search on Deja news < http://www.*-*-*.com/ > for postings on comp.lang.perl.misc
that discuss the merits (or lack of ) of this software.  I would be
genuinely interested in what people in the other groups think of this :
is the software that is found on the web at site like the one under
discussion generally worse than the standards we expect of the best (or
even the mediocre perhaps) certainly with Perl it is generally worse.

It is not difficult for someone running such a site to consider the quality
of the resources submitted to it - if they take an interest in the
current thinking with the mainstream practitioners and there is no reason
that stuff written for the web should not be subject to the same standards
as other software whatever pleading people might make about externally
imposed limitations.  That people who create {*filter*}software that is intended
for the web and becomes widely distributed make this special pleading that
the software should not be measured to the same standards as other
software quite simply does not wash.  If software can objectively be said
to be {*filter*}then that software is {*filter*}whatever environment it was written
to be run in.

It serves no-ones best interest if {*filter*}software is distributed - the
consumer gets a bad deal , the implementation language gets a bad name
and the author of the software, if its faults are not pointed out, will
continue to produce software in the same vein without learning or progressing.
'Lots of people use it so it cant be that bad' - where are Matt Wright and
the sundry other skript kiddies and wannabe hackers going to be when the
newsgroups are over-run with poor users of this software asking why it
is printing out dates as '01/01/19100' in a little over a month ?

A good software resource is likely to be self promoting - people will
recommend it as somewhere where good programs can be found if that is
truly the case - if it is not the case then people will tend to actively
discourage people from using software from there even if only a small
proportion of the available software is bad.

Quote:
> In this case, YOU spammed the News with your Hastings and Jellyfish.com links,
> by mistake, I hope. :-)

Ho Ho Ho.  These were in my .signature - like about 75% of people who have
a web site have the URL in their .signature.  Infact I will post a URL
of mine in response to some question on Usenet if that resource is
pertinent to the original question, I will often post the URL of a wide
variety of resources indeed.  You posted a URL in response to no question -
if you had bothered to read the groups to which you posted once in a while
you will have learned about the conventions that pertain about these things
in the different groups - but of course you couldnt be bothered.

/J\
--

< http://www.*-*-*.com/ >
Hastings: <URL: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Devoo.com : source code search engine
I think Jonathan Stowe has several well taken points.

However in the generalization that the scripts on the site are poor I'm
concerned about such references as http://www.extropia.com/products.html
The extropia scripts and Selena Sol's scripts seem to be fine PERL code.
If not, then I'd appreciate a reference to a discussion about their
failings.

As a self taught PERL scripter it is soooo easy to use weak code as a
template to learn from. Hence any reference to corrections of publicly
available code would be more than welcome.

If anything the main failing of devoo.com is the sparcity of scripts. It
looks to be mostly a set of links rather than a repository. Any given
section could be dramatically enhanced just by incorporating standard
solutions. Notably the CGI/Search scripts section is missing several of
the better known and publically available search scripts.

If devoo.com is funded they need to get their act together a bit before
they spend any money on advertising.

For the general off-topic nature of this posting I apologize. I am
seriously interested in any critique of the extropia scripts since I'm
using them as a base for several projects.

Claude Needham

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Devoo.com : source code search engine
On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 02:23:22 GMT,

Quote:
> I think Jonathan Stowe has several well taken points.

> However in the generalization that the scripts on the site are poor I'm
> concerned about such references as http://www.extropia.com/products.html
> The extropia scripts and Selena Sol's scripts seem to be fine PERL code.
> If not, then I'd appreciate a reference to a discussion about their
> failings.

You posted from deja.com. Use it to search the newsgroups archives for
Matt Wright and Selena Sol, filtering on comp.lang.perl.* or something.

It may be fine PERL code, but Perl it ain't :).

Dunno about extropia, and I don't really feel like looking it up.

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen              |
Interactive Media Division      | In a world without fences, who needs
Commercial Dynamics Pty. Ltd.   | Gates?
NSW, Australia                  |



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Devoo.com : source code search engine
Jonathan,

Thanks for taking the time to clearly submit your point of view.

I'm sorry I did not ask for your permission before sending a message which, YES, was
concerning Java, Perl, C++ and Javascript. If you want to feel like a Ruler, then
try to become a moderator in some commercial stuff forum.

Your remark was funded, though...about the quality of source code. At DevOo.com we
try all the scripts/freeware which are submitted. The source code is always free, so
it may not always be perfect ...but it is often a base for the developer.

Finally, DevOo is only one month old, the database is growing slowly. If you have
any ideas, please submit them kindly. We are working {*filter*} it.

Bye,

Alex
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Devoo.com : source code search engine
Alexandre Naressi (comp.lang.perl.misc):

Quote:
>I'm sorry I did not ask for your permission before sending a message
>which, YES, was concerning Java, Perl, C++ and Javascript. If you want
>to feel like a Ruler, then try to become a moderator in some commercial
>stuff forum.

This is not endearing you to anyone. Try and calm down, or something.

Quote:
>Your remark was funded, though...about the quality of source code. At
>DevOo.com we try all the scripts/freeware which are submitted. The
>source code is always free, so it may not always be perfect

No source code is perfect, and we're already at the stage where whether
it's free or not is irrelevant to its quality, thankfully.

However, you're still distributing source that hinders development,
rather than helps it. Canned solutions that are bad Perl don't help any
developers.

And why do you lump Perl and PHP together? They're different languages.
Not that you actually have any PHP there, of course.

--
A grammarian's life is always in tense.



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Devoo.com : source code search engine


Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Devoo.com : source code search engine

Quote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 02:23:22 GMT,

>> I think Jonathan Stowe has several well taken points.

>> However in the generalization that the scripts on the site are poor I'm
>> concerned about such references as http://www.extropia.com/products.html
>> The extropia scripts and Selena Sol's scripts seem to be fine PERL code.
>> If not, then I'd appreciate a reference to a discussion about their
>> failings.

> You posted from deja.com. Use it to search the newsgroups archives for
> Matt Wright and Selena Sol, filtering on comp.lang.perl.* or something.

> It may be fine PERL code, but Perl it ain't :).

> Dunno about extropia, and I don't really feel like looking it up.

The Extropia stuff is Selena Sol:

    '$! = 1 ; turn off buffering'

Enough said.

/J\
--
"If homo sapiens really were 'homo' sapiens is that why they're
extinct?" - Joey, Friends



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Devoo.com : source code search engine
Jonathan Stowe (comp.lang.perl.misc):

Quote:
>> It may be fine PERL code, but Perl it ain't :).
>> Dunno about extropia, and I don't really feel like looking it up.

>The Extropia stuff is Selena Sol:
>    '$! = 1 ; turn off buffering'

Oh, cool, is that PHP3? :)

--
The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
whether submarines can swim.
                -- Edsger W. Dijkstra



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Devoo.com : source code search engine


Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Devoo.com : source code search engine
Hi,

Quote:

> Try and calm down, or something.

This was just a joke. :-)
I'm not taking it personally.

More seriously...

It seams like some Perl source code available via Devoo.com is not reliable.
If you have better sources, or remarks concerning the sites linked on Devoo,
please send us e-mails, use the forums or go to the "Express Yourself"
section.

We want to help. Thanks for advices.

Alex.
http://www.devoo.com



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Devoo.com : source code search engine

Quote:

>In this case, YOU spammed the News with your Hastings and Jellyfish.com links,
>by mistake, I hope. :-)

   URLs in the signature are OK by the rules of netiquette.

   Crossposting commercial adverti{*filter*}ts is not.

   Get thee to    news.announce.newusers
   so you won't look like you don't know how Usenet works.

Quote:
>> --

>> < http://www.*-*-*.com/ >
>> Hastings: <URL: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

--
    Tad McClellan                          SGML Consulting

    Fort Worth, Texas


Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Devoo.com : source code search engine
Crossposting is allowed by God if the message is related to the Newsgroup. ;-)
Are we going to keep on playing this game ?
Alex.

Quote:


> >In this case, YOU spammed the News with your Hastings and Jellyfish.com links,
> >by mistake, I hope. :-)

>    URLs in the signature are OK by the rules of netiquette.

>    Crossposting commercial adverti{*filter*}ts is not.

>    Get thee to    news.announce.newusers
>    so you won't look like you don't know how Usenet works.

> >> --

> >> < http://www.*-*-*.com/ >
> >> Hastings: <URL: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

> --
>     Tad McClellan                          SGML Consulting

>     Fort Worth, Texas

--
___________________________________________

Alexandre NARESSI     -   Software Engineer
___________________________________________

   Training and Mobility of Researchers

Perdu sur Internet ?   http://www.*-*-*.com/
___________________________________________



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 32 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

 Relevant Pages 

1. Cgi Source Code for Search Engine

2. source code search engine

3. Source code search engine

4. How-To search engine on search engines/mlml

5. Need Source for search engine like google/yahoo

6. Need Source for search engine like google/yahoo

7. Need source for calling search engines

8. Seeking Search Engine Code

9. ANNOUNCE: WWW::Search 1.009 available (web-search-engine API for Perl)

10. Searching Multible Search Engines Script

11. Multi search engine search on NT

12. Searching a search-engine script

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software