question about canned perl script
Author Message
 question about canned perl script

Hi everyone,
I have read all the FAQs I can find about perl and haven't found the
answer to what will no doubt strike you as an idiotic question.
I am using a "canned" perl script to track hits. It appears to be
working but I don't think perl is residing in any of our virtual
directories. I asked the previous webmaster and he doesn't know if we
have perl or not. So I downloaded a binary version of perl. Now I would
like to FTP it to the appropriate virtual directory, but I don't know
which files have to be sent.
I want to send perl to our server then delete it from my HD it is
taking up too much space and I am not a programmer, just a lowly
webmaster. Which file should I send?
Thanks,
Rachel

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 question about canned perl script

Quote:

> I am using a "canned" perl script to track hits. It appears to be
> working but I don't think perl is residing in any of our virtual
> directories.

If it is a Perl script and it works, then you must have a perl
executable lying around somewhere.  If you are on *nix, type "which
perl" on the command line to find out where the executable is loated or
type perl -v or perl -V to get more info about the installed version of
perl.  If you are on windoze, use the start menu find to locate
perl.exe.  If you are on something else, use whatever file search tools
are available to look for it.

Quote:
>I asked the previous webmaster and he doesn't know if we
> have perl or not. So I downloaded a binary version of perl. Now I would
> like to FTP it to the appropriate virtual directory, but I don't know
> which files have to be sent.

You are better off logging on to the server and FTPing the binary from a
trusted source like www.perl.com or www.activestate.com and then
performing the installation there on your server.  Installation is not
usually simply a matter of files, but also of things like environment or
registry settings depending on your OS.

Quote:
> I want to send perl to our server then delete it from my HD it is
> taking up too much space and I am not a programmer, just a lowly
> webmaster. Which file should I send?

Unless your local computer is exactly the same operating system as your
web server this won't work.  If the OSs are the same and you downloaded
a binary that was part of a self-installing executable, it is that
executable rather than any of the files it installed that you would want
to FTP to the server and run the self-installing executable there.

P.S. If you are, by your own definition "not a programmer", I am not
sure how wise it is to install perl and perl scripts on your server
unless you will be hiring consultants whom you trust to manage it for
you.

--
Jeff

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 question about canned perl script

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 question about canned perl script
Well, thanks Jeff. I have removed the perl script and all the
associated files from our virtual directory. I don't have access to the
actual server, we rent a web host on a monthly basis. No idea if it it
is UNIX, probably is though but I don't have a shell account. And of
course, I downloaded Perl for Windows, from perl.com. There is no file
called Perl.exe on my HDs. I uninstalled perl.

There are already some perl scripts in our virtual directory. A broken
search engine and some pages that were formerly used to place
subscription orders for our magazine. So there must be perl, I guess.
Naturally security is of concern to us but since we are going to change
web hosts I will opt-out of perl on the new server. I dream that we
will hire some programmer consultants but I don't think this will ever
happen.

I am more of a web programmer than an applications programmer, so I
always want things to be finished as quickly as possible. I am studying
for the Java certification test. I also like ASP, but I think of myself
as a webmaster primarily.

Thanks for your assistance.
Rachel

Quote:

> > I am using a "canned" perl script to track hits. It appears to be
> > working but I don't think perl is residing in any of our virtual
> > directories.

> If it is a Perl script and it works, then you must have a perl
> executable lying around somewhere.  If you are on *nix, type "which
> perl" on the command line to find out where the executable is loated
or
> type perl -v or perl -V to get more info about the installed version
of
> perl.  If you are on windoze, use the start menu find to locate
> perl.exe.  If you are on something else, use whatever file search
tools
> are available to look for it.

> >I asked the previous webmaster and he doesn't know if we
> > have perl or not. So I downloaded a binary version of perl. Now I
would
> > like to FTP it to the appropriate virtual directory, but I don't
know
> > which files have to be sent.

> You are better off logging on to the server and FTPing the binary
from a
> trusted source like www.perl.com or www.activestate.com and then
> performing the installation there on your server.  Installation is not
> usually simply a matter of files, but also of things like environment
or
> registry settings depending on your OS.

> > I want to send perl to our server then delete it from my HD it is
> > taking up too much space and I am not a programmer, just a lowly
> > webmaster. Which file should I send?

> Unless your local computer is exactly the same operating system as
your
> web server this won't work.  If the OSs are the same and you
downloaded
> a binary that was part of a self-installing executable, it is that
> executable rather than any of the files it installed that you would
want
> to FTP to the server and run the self-installing executable there.

> P.S. If you are, by your own definition "not a programmer", I am not
> sure how wise it is to install perl and perl scripts on your server
> unless you will be hiring consultants whom you trust to manage it for
> you.

> --
> Jeff

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Troubles with a Canned script

2. canned reply script

3. parsing canned response

4. canned reply??

5. canned replies

6. Perl internals question: changing PL_origfilename in script

7. setuid perl script questions

8. Perl script question for gurus

9. QUESTION: how can I write my personal perl cgi-bin scripts

10. Newbie Perl Script Question

11. Question about a perl script mail pipe