TCL Speed vs PERL
Author Message
 TCL Speed vs PERL

Quote:
> Tcl is comparable, or even faster, than Perl and MetaTalk in a couple
> of areas, specifically running subprocesses and some file system I/O
> operations.

Can you be more specific, please?

I'm puzzled by this statement.  Most overhead in these operation would
come from OS, *and* Perl uses some *dirty* tricks to work {*filter*}r
than C (yes!) with at least "I" part of I/O.

Oh, I see.  Tcl also works around buffering.  In which areas are its
workarounds better than Perl's?

Ilya

Tue, 14 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TCL Speed vs PERL

: > Tcl is comparable, or even faster, than Perl and MetaTalk in a couple
: > of areas, specifically running subprocesses and some file system I/O
: > operations.
: Can you be more specific, please?
: I'm puzzled by this statement.  Most overhead in these operation would
: come from OS, *and* Perl uses some *dirty* tricks to work {*filter*}r
: than C (yes!) with at least "I" part of I/O.

Ilya, stop bothering Scott. Scott has one job, to sell his proprietary
langauge. That's all. He isn't there to be fair, to be just, to be
anything other than as biased as he can be on why his product is the best.
Logical arguments as to how the best language for a task is defined by the
task and the needs of a client are like whispers to a deaf man who is
screaming so he can hear himself. Scott doesn't participate, he *must*
dominate, his business requires it.

jmi

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TCL Speed vs PERL

Quote:

> : > Tcl is comparable, or even faster, than Perl and MetaTalk in a couple
> : > of areas, specifically running subprocesses and some file system I/O
> : > operations.
> : Can you be more specific, please?
> : I'm puzzled by this statement.  Most overhead in these operation would
> : come from OS, *and* Perl uses some *dirty* tricks to work {*filter*}r
> : than C (yes!) with at least "I" part of I/O.

> Ilya, stop bothering Scott. Scott has one job, to sell his proprietary
> langauge. That's all. He isn't there to be fair, to be just, to be
> anything other than as biased as he can be on why his product is the best.
> Logical arguments as to how the best language for a task is defined by the
> task and the needs of a client are like whispers to a deaf man who is
> screaming so he can hear himself. Scott doesn't participate, he *must*
> dominate, his business requires it.

OK, OK!

However, Scott or somebody else may have some comparisons at hand.  It
would be very interesting and *useful* in which operations TCL managed
to outperform Perl.

These parts of Perl are obviously broken ;-).

Ilya

Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Relative Speed of Perl vs. Tcl vs. C

2. Sorting Speeds - UNIX vs PERL

3. PHP vs PERL speed when accessing MYSQL database

4. AWK vs PERL speed question

5. Add to FAQ: C vs Perl speed

6. C vs Perl speed?

7. on speed of C vs Perl (using C library)

8. perl vs ksh speed

9. Perl vs SQL search speed advice please

10. speed of perl vs c

11. Perl vs. C speed question

12. AWK vs PERL speed question