Compile and install CPAN modules on win32
Author Message
 Compile and install CPAN modules on win32

I hope that this short message will help many of you who like to
compile and install CPAN modules on Windows, but don't want to
experience the pain I have been through to get these modules installed
on Windows.

I have built many modules with VC++6.0, so it's highly recommended. In
my experience,WinNT could make life relatively easier compared to
other Windows OS's (ie Win9x/ME). Once you have VC++ installed on your
machine, copy the two files "nmake" and "vcvars32" from the "bin"
directory (normally in Microsoft Visual Studio/VC98/bin)to your path.
You can do this by setting the path field via Control Panel on WinNT
or autoexec.bat on Win9x/ME. Reboot your machine if you're running on
Win9x/ME. This updates your path to the executables.

Unzip and untar the module to your local disk (ex:
D:\Perl\packages\Tk). Change to this directory and start to create a
makefile by typing "perl Makefile.PL" (apparently, you must have Perl
installed on your machine).

Now you need to run "vcvars32" to set appropriate library/include
paths for VC++ compiler. After issuing this command, you should see
the changes simply by typing "SET". OK, open the main Makefile in the
current directory (created by perl Makefile.PL), search for "subdirs"
entries, they should look somewhat similar to this:

      cd pTK
]

pass "nmake" for this error:
u1035: syntax error : expected ";" or "=" separator   (or something
like that).  In fact, during your compilation, you might see more of
this errors. Simply monitor the process and go to the subdirectory

of these symbols.
For example:
     cd pTk
     NMAKE all -nologo
makefile(393): u1035: syntax error: blah blah
Stop

directory. Try "nmake" again, it should go through nicely.

Another annoying error message is "Too many parameters -- &&".  This
is because the command.exe shell can't handle "&&" syntax.  Simply
search for all "&&"s in your Makefile and break it into lines.
Ex:   cd pTk && $(MAKE) $(FLAGS)
=>    cd pTk
      $(MAKE) $(FLAGS)
      cd ..
You might want to check if the execution is sucessfull by testing
%errorno%, but most of the time it isn't necessary.

Those who like to install Tk on your machine might encounter another
error stating that _XRectInRegion cannot be found.  All you need to do
is move the line "extern XRectInRegion blah blah" in Xlib.h to
Xlib_f.h and recompile it.

Even when you think that you might get through with all of the
nuisance, you can unexpectedly see errors like "Sorry no HTML building
yet" etc.  I normally just ignore these extra baggages by taking them
out of the makefile.
Ex:
all:  pure_all htmlifypods html => all: pure_all htmlifypods

Hope this saves you time.

Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:12:20 GMT
 Compile and install CPAN modules on win32

Quote:
> I hope that this short message will help many of you who like to
> compile and install CPAN modules on Windows, but don't want to
> experience the pain I have been through to get these modules installed
> on Windows.

> I have built many modules with VC++6.0, so it's highly recommended. In

For those who don't have VC, there is also cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/)
which gives quite complete unix-environment with windows.

With cygwin you can install modules as in unix.

Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:24:37 GMT

1. Broken CPAN Module. IO modules no longer compile

2. module install problems with cpan module and gcc?

3. Compiling Modules with CPAN and VC++ on shared drive

4. Trouble compiling modules from CPAN

5. HELP: how to compile (when necessary) a module downloaded from CPAN

6. How to compile modules on CPAN?

7. HELP: how to compile (when necessary) a module downloaded from CPAN

8. newbie: howto install CPAN module in my home

9. ARCHLIB for CPAN-installed modules

10. how to install perl CPAN module on server

11. CPAN module install?

12. CPAN module install problems