dbmopen/dbmclose:perl4/5 conversion
Author Message
 dbmopen/dbmclose:perl4/5 conversion

I've noticed that when trying to run a Perl4 script under Perl5, that
where dbmopen)/dbmclose() works in Perl4, it doesn't work under
Perl5.001.  What is required to get the Perl4 script to handle the dbm
under Perl5? Thank you.

Tue, 06 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 dbmopen/dbmclose:perl4/5 conversion

Richard> I've noticed that when trying to run a Perl4 script under Perl5, that
Richard> where dbmopen)/dbmclose() works in Perl4, it doesn't work under
Richard> Perl5.001.  What is required to get the Perl4 script to handle the dbm
Richard> under Perl5? Thank you.

One non-upward-compatibility is that:

        opendbm(RANDOM_ARRAY_NAME, "database", 0666)

must now be written:

        opendbm(%RANDOM_ARRAY_NAME, "database", 0666)

In other words, the "%" is no longer presumed.  Actually, I think this
was even true in 4.036, but I'm losing my sense of history now. :-)

If that's not the error, please post more details.

print "Just another Perl hacker," # but not what the media calls "hacker!" :-)

Web: <A HREF="http://www.teleport.com/~merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me

Tue, 06 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. dbmopen/dbmclose Win95

2. Does this mean dbmopen(dbmclose) has lock?

3. dbmopen/dbmclose

4. Question on dbmopen( ) and dbmclose( ).

5. dbmopen() e dbmclose()

6. dbmopen() dbmclose() using CGI variables

7. Using dbmopen and dbmclose in a cgi script

8. dbmopen,dbmclose

9. problem using exists with dbmopen & dbmclose

10. Multiple dbmopen()'s at once (perl4)

11. dbmopen differences in perl4 and perl5

12. Can I use dbmopen command with perl4??