ActivePerl from a network drive?
Author Message
 ActivePerl from a network drive?

hello,

At the school i attend, Perl 4 is installed on a
"network drive" (U:\) that has a number of
utilities on it, you can get to perl by typing
"perl" at the command prompt since all workstation
have the U: drive in their PATH.

As it is now, Perl 4 is just a single binary file
at the root of the U: drive. There are no perl
directory.

I would like to ask the network admin to upgrade
to Perl 5. But that would require "U:\perl\bin" to
by added to the PATH of all machines.

So my question is, can ActivePerl be installed
like so:

A few perl files at the root...
U:\perl.exe
U:\perldoc.bat
U:\ppm.bat

*all* other perl files in a subdirectory...
U:\perl\whatever\...

Thanks,
:-)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 ActivePerl from a network drive?

Quote:
> hello,

> At the school i attend, Perl 4 is installed on a
> "network drive" (U:\) that has a number of
> utilities on it, you can get to perl by typing
> "perl" at the command prompt since all workstation
> have the U: drive in their PATH.

> As it is now, Perl 4 is just a single binary file
> at the root of the U: drive. There are no perl
> directory.

> I would like to ask the network admin to upgrade
> to Perl 5. But that would require "U:\perl\bin" to
> by added to the PATH of all machines.

> So my question is, can ActivePerl be installed
> like so:

> A few perl files at the root...
> U:\perl.exe
> U:\perldoc.bat
> U:\ppm.bat

> *all* other perl files in a subdirectory...
> U:\perl\whatever\...

I believe that the ActivePerl prompts you for the installation directory
although it shouldnt be too difficult for a competent system administrator
to set up a global path configuration ...

/J\
--

<http://www.gellyfish.com>
Hastings: <URL:http://dmoz.org/Regional/UK/England/East_Sussex/Hastings>

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 ActivePerl from a network drive?

Quote:
> > A few perl files at the root...
> > U:\perl.exe
> > U:\perldoc.bat
> > U:\ppm.bat

> > *all* other perl files in a subdirectory...
> > U:\perl\whatever\...

> I believe that the ActivePerl prompts you for the installation
directory
> although it shouldnt be too difficult for a competent system
administrator
> to set up a global path configuration ...

Hmmm... i don't think they will do it it it requires any change to
the workstation configs......

The idea here is to put the perl.exe file outside the install path yet
have it know to look there for any needed files. (DLLs, PMs, etc.)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Reading a networked drive

2. NT Script, Accessing network drives under scheduler

3. Perl, IIS, writing to network drives

4. perl, NT, IIS, can't get script to use network drive

5. Opening a network connected drive from dos w/ perl

6. using network drives-newbee question

7. open error on network drives

8. rename () makes files disappear on Win32 network drive?

9. PerlIS problem reading network drive

10. system() call won't work from network drive

11. NT and network drives

12. NT/ActivePerl/File::Copy/Network Drive/AT command = unsuccessful