registration script
Author Message
 registration script

I am very new to Perl, but hope that I will get some helpful responses.  I
am trying to create a script for my page, in which a user can register (for
benefits unknown) and all information submitted is sent to a specified email
address.  I currently am using a script copied from a book, for a start.  It
did not work, I got an Internal Server Error.  The permissions are correct,
and the path is correct.  I have no idea where it went wrong.

-atayarani

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 05:46:52 GMT
 registration script

Quote:

> I am very new to Perl, but hope that I will get some helpful responses.

To get helpful responses, you must help people to understand the problem.

Quote:
> I am trying to create a script for my page, in which a user can
> register (for benefits unknown) and all information submitted is sent
> to a specified email address.  I currently am using a script copied
> from a book, for a start.  It did not work, I got an Internal Server
> Error.  The permissions are correct, and the path is correct.  I have
> no idea where it went wrong.

Now, what information in the above paragraph do you think could help
anyone diagnose your problem?  No code, no details, no nothing.
Seriously, though--what sort of mind-reading did you expect?

There is a FAQ in the subject:

    http://www.perl.com/pub/doc/FAQs/cgi/perl-cgi-faq.html

and the unfortunately named checklist:

    http://www.perl.com/pub/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html

General information is all you posted, so general pointers is all you
can really expect.

Steve
--
Steven Smolinski => http://www.steven.cx/

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 06:16:42 GMT
 registration script

Quote:

>I am very new to Perl, but hope that I will get some helpful responses.  I
>am trying to create a script for my page, in which a user can register (for
>benefits unknown) and all information submitted is sent to a specified email
>address.  I currently am using a script copied from a book, for a start.  It
>did not work, I got an Internal Server Error.  The permissions are correct,
>and the path is correct.  I have no idea where it went wrong.

>-atayarani

Not much hope of anyone else either without more info.

First does the script compile and run ie at the command prompt type

perl myscript.pl

No news is good news, if you get messages then you have basic syntax errors.

James

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 07:42:25 GMT
 registration script
I get an error: 500

the pages are: www.atayarani.com/form.html
and www.atayarani.com/cgi-bin/readinput.pl

Quote:

> > I am very new to Perl, but hope that I will get some helpful responses.

> To get helpful responses, you must help people to understand the problem.

> > I am trying to create a script for my page, in which a user can
> > register (for benefits unknown) and all information submitted is sent
> > to a specified email address.  I currently am using a script copied
> > from a book, for a start.  It did not work, I got an Internal Server
> > Error.  The permissions are correct, and the path is correct.  I have
> > no idea where it went wrong.

> Now, what information in the above paragraph do you think could help
> anyone diagnose your problem?  No code, no details, no nothing.
> Seriously, though--what sort of mind-reading did you expect?

> There is a FAQ in the subject:

>     http://www.perl.com/pub/doc/FAQs/cgi/perl-cgi-faq.html

> and the unfortunately named checklist:

>     http://www.perl.com/pub/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html

> General information is all you posted, so general pointers is all you
> can really expect.

> Steve
> --
> Steven Smolinski => http://www.steven.cx/

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:16:57 GMT
 registration script
[ Please post your comments at the end of the suitably trimmed article
you're replying to.  The regulars around here prefer it, and you will
get more help from them that way. Jeopardectomy performed. ]

Quote:

> > > I am very new to Perl, but hope that I will get some helpful

> > To get helpful responses, you must help people to understand the
> > problem.

> > > [... snip CGI program "doesn't work": 500 server error ...]

> I get an error: 500

> the pages are: www.atayarani.com/form.html
> and www.atayarani.com/cgi-bin/readinput.pl

We can't see the code in that second URL, of course, because the
webserver tries to execute it.

In any case, did you look at the URLs I posted at all?  They would have
told you to check lots of things:

- Did you run the script from the command line?
- Did you fix all the warnings/errors from the command line?
- Did you use -w, -T and strict?

In any case, I looked at the form.html quickly.  It's non-compliant HTML
by a long shot.  Your quoting is all over the place.  All the inputs
look like this:

    <input type = "text" size = "35 name = "address>

when they should look like this:

    <input type="text" size="35" name="address">

If the page even works, it's by magic and all-too-forgiving browser
manufacturers.  But that's off-topic here.  Fix your HTML, try debugging
the script from the command line and let us know how you did.

HTH.

Steve
--
Steven Smolinski => http://www.steven.cx/

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:36:38 GMT
 registration script

Quote:

> I am very new to Perl, but hope that I will get some helpful responses.  I
> am trying to create a script for my page, in which a user can register (for
> benefits unknown) and all information submitted is sent to a specified email
> address.  I currently am using a script copied from a book, for a start.  It
> did not work, I got an Internal Server Error.  The permissions are correct,
> and the path is correct.  I have no idea where it went wrong.

> -atayarani

Note: you shouldn't cross-post and you shouldn't ask questions that
are not related to the Perl language in this news group.

does yr. Perl code compile on the command line? did you xfer it to the
server as ascii? are you sending the correct response header back? are
you using CGI.pm? are all special characters escaped correctly? what
does your error log say?

If you don't know how to check your error log you also might try
adding this line to redirect errors...

use CGI::Carp qw(carpout fatalsToBrowser);

--williamc

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:22:30 GMT
 registration script

Quote:
> [ Please post your comments at the end of the suitably trimmed article
> you're replying to.  The regulars around here prefer it, and you will
> get more help from them that way. Jeopardectomy performed. ]

> > > To get helpful responses, you must help people to understand the
> > > problem.

> > I get an error: 500

> > the pages are: www.atayarani.com/form.html
> > and www.atayarani.com/cgi-bin/readinput.pl

> We can't see the code in that second URL, of course, because the
> webserver tries to execute it.

> In any case, did you look at the URLs I posted at all?  They would have
> told you to check lots of things:

> - Did you run the script from the command line?
> - Did you fix all the warnings/errors from the command line?
> - Did you use -w, -T and strict?

> In any case, I looked at the form.html quickly.  It's non-compliant HTML
> by a long shot.  Your quoting is all over the place.  All the inputs
> look like this:

>     <input type = "text" size = "35 name = "address>

> when they should look like this:

>     <input type="text" size="35" name="address">

> If the page even works, it's by magic and all-too-forgiving browser
> manufacturers.  But that's off-topic here.  Fix your HTML, try debugging
> the script from the command line and let us know how you did.

> HTH.

> Steve
> --
> Steven Smolinski => http://www.steven.cx/

Nothing wrong with the page itself, after submitting there were issues, but
it was solved by changing the case of a few sections

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 02:22:31 GMT
 registration script

Quote:

> > I am very new to Perl, but hope that I will get some helpful responses.
> > am trying to create a script for my page, in which a user can register
(for
> > benefits unknown) and all information submitted is sent to a specified
email
> > address.  I currently am using a script copied from a book, for a start.
It
> > did not work, I got an Internal Server Error.  The permissions are
correct,
> > and the path is correct.  I have no idea where it went wrong.

> > -atayarani

> Note: you shouldn't cross-post and you shouldn't ask questions that
> are not related to the Perl language in this news group.

How is this not related to the Perl language?  It is a perl script I had
issues with.

> does yr. Perl code compile on the command line? did you xfer it to the
> server as ascii? are you sending the correct response header back? are
> you using CGI.pm? are all special characters escaped correctly? what
> does your error log say?

> If you don't know how to check your error log you also might try
> adding this line to redirect errors...

> use CGI::Carp qw(carpout fatalsToBrowser);

> --williamc

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 02:24:01 GMT
 registration script

Quote:

>> > I am very new to Perl, but hope that I will get some helpful responses.
>> > am trying to create a script for my page, in which a user can register
>(for
>> > benefits unknown) and all information submitted is sent to a specified
>email
>> > address.  I currently am using a script copied from a book, for a start.
>It
>> > did not work, I got an Internal Server Error.  The permissions are
>correct,
>> > and the path is correct.  I have no idea where it went wrong.

>> > -atayarani

>> Note: you shouldn't cross-post and you shouldn't ask questions that
>> are not related to the Perl language in this news group.

>How is this not related to the Perl language?  It is a perl script I had
>issues with.

No, you have issues with the server.  Your script may well be doing
exactly what it should be doing.  "Internal Server Error" is a server
issue, rather than a perl issue.  Hence the name.  :-)

dha

--

All right!  So I'm the daughter of poison gas!
        - Sybil Crane, The Big Bus

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 08:40:26 GMT
 registration script

[...the last in a series of posts that seem to miss the point...]

You started this thread with the usual 500 Server Error refrain, showed
no real sign of having read the entry in perlfaq9, then seemingly
ignored a couple of people's advice to run the script from the command
line and debug that, as well as pointers to other documents.  And then
you post single-sentence posts which don't help anyone understand your
problem more, or are just plain wrong.

So far, no a very effective strategy for getting peer help on clpm.
Good luck to you, I've tried.

\begin{offtopic}

Quote:
> Nothing wrong with the page itself, after submitting there were
> issues, but it was solved by changing the case of a few sections

Actually, the HTML really is non-compliant in ways that have nothing to
do with case, and which I detailed in my last post.  Because of this,
your Perl program may never see the values you expect.  And
http://validator.w3.org/ agrees with me.

\end{offtopic}

Steve
--
Steven Smolinski => http://www.steven.cx/

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 09:35:08 GMT

1. Registration Script

2. user registration script

3. Registration Script

4. Website Registration Script

5. user registration script

6. Perl Script for Web Registration?

7. Perl Script for WWW Registration

8. Member Registration/Login CGI Script Help

9. Member Registration / Login scripts

10. help with simple registration CGI script

11. Yet Another Perl Conference 2001 - Registration/Second CFP

12. java v. perl for user registration database