Lotus Notes
Author Message
 Lotus Notes

Is there a way to access a Lotus Notes Database from perl?
I could not find any module for this purpose.

Thanx

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 13:58:19 GMT
 Lotus Notes
I believe Notes supports ODBC, therefore the DSN will be available for
connecting via DBD::ODBC.

Quote:
> Is there a way to access a Lotus Notes Database from perl?
> I could not find any module for this purpose.

> Thanx

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:59:26 GMT
 Lotus Notes
Notes' support of ODBC is questionable, or rather, the performance has a
tendency to disappoint.  (It isn't relational, so non-trivial queries are a
lot more expensive than you might think.)   Better to use its Java, IIOP, or
COM/OLE interfaces.  But this has much to do with where the databases you
wish to manipulate are located, and what it is you want to do with them.

--Steve

Quote:
> I believe Notes supports ODBC, therefore the DSN will be available for
> connecting via DBD::ODBC.

> > Is there a way to access a Lotus Notes Database from perl?
> > I could not find any module for this purpose.

> > Thanx

Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:40:06 GMT
 Lotus Notes
Dale, Steve, thank you for your suggestions!

All I want to do is to sequentially read a complete table into one or more
hash variables. I will ask my Notes Admin for supported interfaces.

btw: I think the performance of Notes is always disappointing =:- }

Hansgeorg

Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:22:38 GMT
 Lotus Notes
This is _probably_ not something most Notes admins will know.  It's more of
a developer issue... and most Notes developers won't have a clue about other
systems/languages.  There are lots of ways to get at Notes data, but they
all have their "special" traits...

If you could describe what it is you need to do in more detail (batch job?
live backend to CGI?  is your script running on the same machine as the
Domino server?) I will do my best to whip up an appropriate proof of
concept.

--Steve

Quote:
> Dale, Steve, thank you for your suggestions!

> All I want to do is to sequentially read a complete table into one or more
> hash variables. I will ask my Notes Admin for supported interfaces.

> btw: I think the performance of Notes is always disappointing =:- }

> Hansgeorg

Sat, 06 Mar 2004 00:43:32 GMT
 Lotus Notes
On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 19:43:32 -0400, "Steve K"

sparkplugs:

Quote:
>This is _probably_ not something most Notes admins will know.  It's more of
>a developer issue... and most Notes developers won't have a clue about other
>systems/languages.  There are lots of ways to get at Notes data, but they
>all have their "special" traits...

As a Notes Admin all I can say is, "Man is he right."
As a Notes Developer who has tried to use Perl to do my bidding with
Notes all I can say is, "I can't wait to see what Steve comes up with.

SNIP

--
TMTOWTDI, but not all of them work...

Sat, 06 Mar 2004 22:38:11 GMT
 Lotus Notes
Hansgeorg,

Here is come code I started playing with sometime ago. I never got too
far with it because other things popped out. I get an error message in
one of the calls because I think someone changed the template on me a
couple of times.

Anyway, if you have a good OLE browser you could figure it out. Good
luck

---
#!perl -w
use strict;
use Win32::OLE;

my $Notes = Win32::OLE->new('Notes.NotesSession') or die "Cannot start
Lotus Notes Session object.\n";

my ($Version)     = ($Notes->{NotesVersion} =~ /\s*(.*\S)\s*$/);
my $User          = $Notes->{UserName};
my $Platform      = $Notes->{Platform};

my $Database = $Notes->GetDatabase('', 'favorite.nsf') or die "Cannot
access database";
my $Title = $Database->{Title};
my $AllDocuments = $Database->{AllDocuments};
my $Count = $AllDocuments->{Count};

print "There are $Count documents in the database.\n";

for (my $Index = 1; $Index <= $Count; ++$Index) {
   my $Document = $AllDocuments->GetNthDocument->{$Index};
   printf "$Index. %s\n", $Document->GetFirstItem('Subject')->{Text};
   my $Values = $Document->GetItemValue('Index_Entries');

      print "   Index: $Value\n";
   }

   last unless $Index < 5;

Quote:
}

---
On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 14:58:19 +0200, "Hansgeorg Zauner"
Quote:

>Is there a way to access a Lotus Notes Database from perl?
>I could not find any module for this purpose.

>Thanx

Sat, 20 Mar 2004 19:16:37 GMT

1. Perl and Lotus Notes

2. Lotus Notes/Domino

3. Lotus Notes && PERL

4. Perl interface to Lotus Notes?

5. Read Lotus Notes email with Perl

6. Q: Perl module for Lotus Notes/Domino.

7. Inserting Appoinments in Lotus Notes Calendar

8. Lotus Notes database

9. Interact with Lotus Notes

10. lotus note module

11. Perl Win32::OLE with Lotus Notes