Partial Apology to Perl Fans 
Author Message
 Partial Apology to Perl Fans

Dear Perl Fans,

A couple of years ago I started a "criticisms of Perl" rant on the
comp.lang.perl newsgroup. After pondering it for a while, I realize
that my criticisms were generally misdirected.

Don't get me wrong, I *still* think Perl is a "write-only language" and
I still don't like the idea of using arrays of array pointers for
complex collection management; but what I think may be moot. You see,
Perl started becoming "mainstream". That made me fear that it would get
shoved down programmers throats who were not fond of Perl. OOP did
this, and I didn't want to see it happen again. I inadvertently
projected this Borg-esque fear onto Perl.

The benefits of paradigms and development tools are largely subjective.
Just because developer A works well with tool A does *not* mean that
developer B will also work well with it. One-size-fits-all does not
work because we all have very different brains. (A new field,
"technical psychologist" or "organizational psychologist" is perhaps
needed.)

Thus, as long as Perl fans can read each other's Perl code and be
productive, it does not matter if I or other non-fans cannot do
the same with Perl. Similarly, you perhaps would not like applications
that I design. (Note that I have not verified whether Perl fans can
read each other's code.)

But, if anybody says that "Perl is for everyone", then I *will* take
objection. That is crossing the line. Unless, of course, objective
metrics can be provided.

In summary, I hope everybody can learn from my mistake and not over-
extrapolate their own preferences onto everybody else. Viva La
Difference! (Is my french better than my Perl?)

PS. The "scope" code example that I posted back then indeed was a piece
of junk, as somebody later pointed out to me. However, the concept that
I was incorrectly trying to illustrate was *not central* to my primary
criticisms.

Thank You for your understanding
-tmind-
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:49:41 GMT  
 Partial Apology to Perl Fans

[...]

Quote:
> But, if anybody says that "Perl is for everyone", then I *will* take
> objection. That is crossing the line. Unless, of course, objective
> metrics can be provided.

> In summary, I hope everybody can learn from my mistake and not over-
> extrapolate their own preferences onto everybody else. Viva La
> Difference! (Is my french better than my Perl?)

Perhaps.

--
Joe Schaefer    "He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any
                                         man I know."
                                                -- Abraham Lincoln



Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:54:30 GMT  
 Partial Apology to Perl Fans

Quote:
> extrapolate their own preferences onto everybody else. Viva La
> Difference! (Is my french better than my Perl?)

No chance.

Vive la difference.  (Je crois . . .)



Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:56:15 GMT  
 Partial Apology to Perl Fans

Quote:
>Dear Perl Fans,

>A couple of years ago I started a "criticisms of Perl" rant on the

Wow!  That's pre-historic by usenet standards.

[...]

Quote:
>Thus, as long as Perl fans can read each other's Perl code and be
>productive, it does not matter if I or other non-fans cannot do
>the same with Perl. Similarly, you perhaps would not like applications
>that I design. (Note that I have not verified whether Perl fans can
>read each other's code.)

I don't know who around here would self-qualify as a "Perl fan",
but of course we can read each other's code.

Actually, the whole question is besides the point.  A programmer
can read code written in any language.  Access to the documentation
is essential, prior knowledge of the language is a bonus.  The only
requirement to the source is that it be decently written.

Anno



Fri, 01 Aug 2003 22:30:11 GMT  
 Partial Apology to Perl Fans

Quote:


>>Dear Perl Fans,

>>A couple of years ago I started a "criticisms of Perl" rant on the

>Wow!  That's pre-historic by usenet standards.

I don't know, I started a thread which showed my ignorance of
mathematics in sci.mathematics (I think) about 4 years ago and it was
still active about 2 1/2 years later when I went back there to lurk (I
traced the thread back through deja news.)


Fri, 12 Sep 2003 01:22:18 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. China Perl fan's can download EasyNNTP

2. Yo alt.fan.sandy-pocernich -- Anyone out there?

3. A special message to Bob Hope fans

4. Partial Success installing Perl on Solaris 2.2

5. Perl for kids: Partial work on-web

6. Perl-y Scripts [apologies to Don Ho]

7. Apology to perl newsgroup

8. partial buffered writes

9. Partial RegExp's

10. Partial matching of regexps

11. Accessing hash with partial key

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software