ActiveState 5.005: Where are the threads?
Author Message
 ActiveState 5.005: Where are the threads?

Hi all,

unfortunately, the only binary 5.005 distribution for Win32
(ActiveState) doesn't support the new threads features. Anyone knows of
a binary distribution that includes them?

-- Michael

Thu, 25 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ActiveState 5.005: Where are the threads?
Threads are dependant on an underlying POSIX thread api, which Windows does
not have... If you want threads you'll, unfortunatly, have to make your
perl code platform limited (no Win32 or MacOS).

#alfo

Quote:

--

         perl code is the beat poetry of the information age

Thu, 25 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ActiveState 5.005: Where are the threads?

Quote:

>Threads are dependant on an underlying POSIX thread api, which Windows does
>not have... If you want threads you'll, unfortunatly, have to make your
>perl code platform limited (no Win32 or MacOS).

>#alfo

Not true. At least not anymore. Quoting from README.win32 in the Perl
5.005_1 distribution:

"Beginning with version 5.005, there is experimental support for
building a perl interpreter that is capable of native threading."

According to some other docs, threaded binaries will build with VC++,
BC++, or egcs/gcc. Of course this doesn't help the original poster too
much with finding such a binary, but at least the search is not
completely futile.

Later...

Heath

Quote:

--
Heath Holcomb                 * I want to be more like the ocean

http://www.wfu.edu/~holcojh5/ * All action
delete REMOVEME to email      * - Perry Farrell

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ActiveState 5.005: Where are the threads?
[mailed & posted]

Quote:

>unfortunately, the only binary 5.005 distribution for Win32
>(ActiveState) doesn't support the new threads features. Anyone knows of
>a binary distribution that includes them?

Michael,

ActivePerl uses the PERL_OBJECT build option, which is (currently)
incompatible with the USETHREADS option, so you will probably not see a
version of ActivePerl with threads. Their idea of multithreading is to
create multiple threads and embed a CPerl object in each of them.

You can compile Perl yourself with threading support. I've read that the
freely available mingw port of gcc should now be useable to create Perl
binaries on win32.

-Jan

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ActiveState 5.005: Where are the threads?

Quote:
> If there's one "element of beauty" in the merged versions, it's that a
> person can download a set of development tools (U/WIN, Cygnus, Mingw32,
> Borland, MSVC-whatever), and build Perl effectively themselves.

FWIW, I have not been able to build Perl 5.005 with the latest Cygwin
development kit, whereas building with an old version of MSVC was a
no-brainer.  In fact, I can't even get through Configure.  And I
hacked it for a couple of hours...

--

http://pobox.com/~jdf/

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ActiveState 5.005 using MIME::Parser

2. threaded Perl 5.005 on HP-UX 10.20 anyone?

3. can't build 5.005 with Threads on Solaris

4. Running Modules in ActiveState Perl 5.005

5. threaded Perl 5.005 on HP-UX 10.20 anyone?

6. Problems building threaded perl 5.005 on OSF 4.0d

7. Install error - activestate perl 5.005

8. Embedding Perl in ActiveState 5.005 version (ISAPI)

9. Q:Threaded 5.005 Under hpux?

10. Performance of ActiveState Perl 5.6 versus 5.005

11. Threads vs. ActiveState Threads

12. ActiveState WinNT Threads