FAQ: How do I find the soundex value of a string?
Author Message
 FAQ: How do I find the soundex value of a string?

This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc
intended to make it easier for perl programmers to find answers to
common questions. The core of this message represents an excerpt
from the documentation provided with every Standard Distribution of
Perl.

+
  How do I find the soundex value of a string?

    Use the standard Text::Soundex module distributed with Perl. Before you
    do so, you may want to determine whether `soundex' is in fact what you
    think it is. Knuth's soundex algorithm compresses words into a small
    space, and so it does not necessarily distinguish between two words
    which you might want to appear separately. For example, the last names
    `Knuth' and `Kant' are both mapped to the soundex code K530. If
    Text::Soundex does not do what you are looking for, you might want to
    consider the String::Approx module available at CPAN. And some english
    speakers might find Text::Metaphone useful too.

-

Documents such as this have been called "Answers to Frequently
Asked Questions" or FAQ for short.  They represent an important
part of the Usenet tradition.  They serve to reduce the volume of
redundant traffic on a news group by providing quality answers to
questions that keep coming up.

If you are some how irritated by seeing these postings you are free
to ignore them or add the sender to your killfile.  If you find
errors or other problems with these postings please send corrections
or comments to the posting email address or to the maintainers as
directed in the perlfaq manual page.

Answers to questions about LOTS of stuff, mostly not related to
Perl, can be found by pointing your news client to

or to the many thousands of other useful Usenet news groups.

Note that the FAQ text posted by this server may have been modified
from that distributed in the stable Perl release.  It may have been
edited to reflect the additions, changes and corrections provided
by respondents, reviewers, and critics to previous postings of
these FAQ. Complete text of these FAQ are available on request.

The perlfaq manual page contains the following copyright notice.

  AUTHOR AND COPYRIGHT

    Copyright (c) 1997-1999 Tom Christiansen and Nathan
    Torkington.  All rights reserved.

This posting is provided in the hope that it will be useful but
does not represent a commitment or contract of any kind on the part
of the contributers, authors or their agents.

                                                           04.33
--
    This space intentionally left blank

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 13:17:02 GMT

1. FAQ 4.35 How do I find the soundex value of a string?

2. FAQ 4.35 How do I find the soundex value of a string?

3. FAQ 4.35 How do I find the soundex value of a string?

4. FAQ 4.35 How do I find the soundex value of a string?

5. FAQ 4.35 How do I find the soundex value of a string?

6. FAQ 4.35 How do I find the soundex value of a string?

7. FAQ 4.35 How do I find the soundex value of a string?

8. FAQ 4.35 How do I find the soundex value of a string?

9. FAQ: How do I find the soundex value of a string?

10. FAQ: How do I find the soundex value of a string?

11. FAQ: How do I find the soundex value of a string?

12. FAQ: How do I find the soundex value of a string?