Submit with a submit button 
Author Message
 Submit with a submit button

I'm new to this aspect of Perl.  I'm trying to figure out how to set up a
Perl script to simply take data posted to it from another script, and turn
around and submit it to a different URL.  It would be like a silent black
box submitter.  I'm actually trying to get around an HTTP_REFERRER
limitation.  The final destination system wants a static referring URL, and
I'm hoping a silent black box script (providing that static URL) can satisfy
it.  If anyone can think of a better approach, please enlighten me.
Otherwise, if anyone has some tips on how to make my little black box of a
script, please enlighten me on that.


Sun, 23 May 2004 20:51:07 GMT  
 Submit with a submit button

Quote:
> I'm new to this aspect of Perl.  I'm trying to figure out how to set up a
> Perl script to simply take data posted to it from another script,

Up to here it is simple inter-process communication and you could use
whatever your OS offers: pipes, sockets, shared memory, you name it. Perl
supports all of this, but you need to find out what is supported (not a Perl
issue) and which one suits your needs best (not a Perl issue either).

From here on you are talking about HTTP and probably CGI.

Quote:
>  and turn
> around and submit it to a different URL.  It would be like a silent black
> box submitter.  I'm actually trying to get around an HTTP_REFERRER
> limitation.  The final destination system wants a static referring URL,
and
> I'm hoping a silent black box script (providing that static URL) can
satisfy
> it.  If anyone can think of a better approach, please enlighten me.
> Otherwise, if anyone has some tips on how to make my little black box of a
> script, please enlighten me on that.

Again, Perl supports whatever the HTTP protocol asks for. And again you need
to find out what method suits your needs best (and again it's not a Perl
issue, either).

Try asking in a NG dedicated to web authoring and/or CGI programming.

jue



Sun, 23 May 2004 21:10:01 GMT  
 Submit with a submit button

Quote:

> Subject: Submit with a submit button

Huh?  WTF does this have to do with the body of this message?

Quote:
> I'm new to this aspect of Perl.

What aspect would that be?

Newgroups?

Newgroups are not an aspect of Perl.

One thing you should know about newsgroups is that they are
searchable.  Another thing you should know is that posting without
searching first is rude.

I tried a Google groups search on "group:comp.lang.perl.* forward HTTP
request".

About the 3rd likely looking hit (about the 19th overall) was close
enough to your question that reading it would have answered your question.

Quote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to set up a
> Perl script to simply take data posted to it from another script, and turn
> around and submit it to a different URL.   It would be like a silent black
> box submitter.  I'm actually trying to get around an HTTP_REFERRER
> limitation.

Sounds like you are trying to steal something.

Theft is wrong.  

The fact that you have the technical expertease to bypass the pittyful
security provided by HTTP_REFERRER checking doesn't make it right.

I can pick/card cheap locks.  The fact that I can do so does not mean that
I am morally entitled to help myself to your property if you've only
used cheap locks.

The fact that the owner of the intelectual property has bothered to
put a HTTP_REFERRER check in is clearly telling you that you have been
granted no license to take the entity out of context.

Quote:
>  The final destination system wants a static referring URL, and
> I'm hoping a silent black box script (providing that static URL) can satisfy
> it.

Sounds like a relatively simple task using LWP.

Quote:
>  If anyone can think of a better approach, please enlighten me.

Alter the destination system.

--
     \\   ( )
  .  _\\__[oo

 .  l___\\
  # ll  l\\
 ###LL  LL\\



Sun, 23 May 2004 21:45:35 GMT  
 Submit with a submit button

Quote:


> > Subject: Submit with a submit button

> Huh?  WTF does this have to do with the body of this message?

> > I'm new to this aspect of Perl.

> What aspect would that be?

> Newgroups?

> Newgroups are not an aspect of Perl.

<continued hounding snipped>

You're a hypocrite.  You gave somebody else advice on a completely off topic
post after I'd warned them to put on their flame retardant jacket.



Sun, 23 May 2004 22:52:27 GMT  
 Submit with a submit button

Quote:

> You're a hypocrite.  You gave somebody else advice on a completely off topic
> post after I'd warned them to put on their flame retardant jacket.

So you are flaming me in this thread for _not_ flaming someone in
another thread?

IIRC the "completely off topic" post in question came down to "does
Perl have anything eqivalent to a restricted shell mode" and the
answer I gave was "someone once tried to write one (CPAN URL
reference) but I think it's dead now, and anyhow you'd to better to
look for an OS-level solution rather than look for a restricted Perl".

--
     \\   ( )
  .  _\\__[oo

 .  l___\\
  # ll  l\\
 ###LL  LL\\



Tue, 25 May 2004 20:03:25 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. How to submit form without submit button?

2. Question: SUBMIT data without a submit button

3. CGI.pm automatically runs code without waiting for submit button

4. CGI Question - can't differenciate between mutlipe submit buttons

5. How to gen a submit button ?

6. Submit Buttons

7. HowTo: Submit Button Call SUB Function

8. multiple submit buttons in CGI

9. Multiple Submit Buttons

10. multiple submit buttons in CGI

11. CGI Question - can't differenciate between mutlipe submit buttons

12. Submit Buttons

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software